The White Cottage Bed and Breakfast
US$166
William Caxton(Tenterden)(Great Value!)
US$100
TripAdvisor
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 17 June 2010

English country welcome at bed and breakfast in beautiful Kent surroundings. Friendly "Mum and Dad" couple made us very comfortable in a well appointed cottage within reach of all sightseeing south-east of London. Delicious bacon, egg, sausage and tomato breakfast started our days of exploration and we were sorry to leave. Ensuite, lounge and kitchenette available.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 April 2010

We greatly enjoyed our stay with these friendly and accommodating people. The house was warm and clean, furnished as a home (which it was for the owners).
The bedroom was typical of an old-fashioned Kentish cottage and we were welcomed like old friends. Breakfasts were wonderful - Full English was an understatement.
Yes, you could hear traffic, but it certainly did not prevent us sleeping in the comfortable beds.
I think the derogatory reviews must have come from the same person who obviously either had a personality clash with the owners, and/or has made a point of trying to destroy their reputation. Having stayed there, I would consider these reviews malicious.

We would certainly visit the White Cottage again, given the opportunity.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 July 2009

Stayed at this b and b 23rd July 2009 with my wife along with her daughter and grandson and niece.
We had the double ensuite costing £58 for the night and the others had a double with the facility for the boy of 5 to sleep in a put u up, which cost £48 which was quoted prior to travelling.
I will put these events in order as there were al lot of complaints we had.
1) Prior to travelling it was arranged with the owner that we could have the room at one o clock as were to prepare for a wedding just along the road, but the owners had informed us when we called on the day that there would be nobody there till 4 o clock and considering the wedding was at 5 this was not acceptable and so they informed us that there would be someone there from 2.30 this is not acceptable when arrangements were already made with the owners!

2) Upon arrival we found the owners to be very rude when we asked where to park the car ie he just pointed to an area in an aggressive and rude way instead of telling us politely.

3) Prior to being shown the rooms my wifes grandson who is 5 and a bit nervous of dogs was frightened when the hosts dog approached him barking loudly and one of the hosts did not put much effort into controlling it until we made it clear that we wanted this to stop and keep her dog under control!!

4) We found our double ensuite very dated and smelly, bath was dirty and my wife had to clean it before use, the shower is tied to the wall so cannot be hand held, 2 double towels were left on our bed of which was one was given to her daughter to use as we needed only one, it was later that we were accused of stealing a towel which i will go into later. The light was flickering all night and water was running out of taps on and off all night!!

5) In the other room the male host made it clear in a rude way that there was to be no jumping on the bed provided for the boy, this collapsed when a suitcase was put on it!!

6) Breakfast!! nothing special!!

7) We found out on the morning of departure that it was cash only and I had to drive to Tenterden to get to a cash machine and the others were preparing bags etc, when I returned the door to the guest section of the house was locked without the others knowledge, this door was was locked by the female host who was waiting for my return to pay her for the room, to lock people in is staggering and unbelievable and am also sure it is illegal.

8) Although we paid for the rooms up to 10 am it was about 9.45 that we were told to leave our rooms as they wanted to clean them for the next guests, this was because the male host wanted to get in the rooms to check them over before we left, this was when my wife was informed that a towel was missing from our room, in other words that we had stolen one!! this was unbeilevably rude and insulting!! it was explained to him that a towel was used by her daughter in her room which he then found and returned and just nooded and no word of apology.

9) My wifes daughter was quoted a price of £48 for her room and it was explained that a child would also be in the room, on leaving she asked for £56 and denied she agreed a cost of £48

10) All this happened in one night at staying at this b and b and must warn other people that this is the worst I have stayed in, this is fact not fiction.

We will be not using this b and b ever again

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
4  Thank mrsfrench
Reviewed 11 May 2009

I booked with some trepidation having seen the previous reviews but the location was so convenient for my destination (Little Silver hotel opposite) and at a very good price thought it was worth a try.

Although as mentioned some of the decor is obviously dated the B&B was clean and comfortable. The breakfast was excellent with a good selection of local produce for the full English breakfast. Secure off road parking with gardens to the rear of the house. Although my room overlooked the A28 I didn't hear any road noise to keep me awake.

If you are looking for 5 star luxury then this isn't for you but for value for money accomodation with good local food I'd certainly recommend it.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 25 October 2008

Myself, my wife and my wifes brother travelled to Kent to attend a family funeral. This bed and breakfast is by far the worst place I have ever had the misfortune to stay. Hugely uncomfortable beds, very noisy traffic, dismal bathrooms that had the "fawlty" staple showers: skin meltingly hot to arctic cold in a flash. I have stayed in plenty of B+Bs that have had bathrooms that have been in for 50 or more years but have been fine to use because regular maintenance has been carried out, ie a new bit of sealant here and there, a new bit of grout when needed etc etc. These bathrooms were clearly fitted 50 years ago and have had zero maintenance carried out since.

As for the morning experience, if you put it in an episode of Fawlty Towers it would be dismissed out of hand as too unbelievable. At 9.58am whilst getting ready for a funeral( which our hosts were aware of) having had our breakfast, which was actually fine, despite our hosts efforts to ruin it by being incredibly rude, our host shouted up the stairs that she needed us out by 10am. We redoubled our efforts to speed up, despite this our host returned at 10.05am to shout up the stairs that she needed us out now so she could prepare the room. This greatly upset my wife and I ventured downstairs to pay only to be met with a barrage of abuse suggesting that i was ruining her day because she couldnt prepare her room for the next guests, I suggested that perhaps the morning of a family funeral wasnt the most appropriate time to harass guests over a 5 minute delay to her cleaning schedule and that if it was that crucial to her day perhaps she could have informed us the night before rather than on the morning with 2mins notice. This was met with sarcasm. Upon leaving our host kindly showed us to the door and gave all three of us a volley of abuse

I have stayed in plenty of dissapointing hotels and b+bs in my time and have encountered plenty of miserable and obstinate hosts and it really doesnt bother me and usually you just put it down to experience, however the behaviour of these hosts was so appalling I felt I should warn people of this. For a host to believe that it is acceptable to scream abuse at a visibly upset woman on her way to a family funeral for the heinous crime of a 5min delay to a cleaning schedule is staggering.

Safe to say I wouldnt recommend this establishment at all.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled with family