“Excellent lunch”

Cuisines: British, Pub
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 1 June 2014

Went with friends - we had a walk first around the public footpath around the back of the pub, all very rural and scenic. Blackboard with 'Specials' chalked up in the bar, plus a regular printed menu. Pub wasn't very busy considering it was the end of the half term holidays with plenty of people about. We waited quite some time for the food but it was nicely presented when it arrived with plenty of fresh vegetables. My husband thought his home made burger was undercooked but it was very tasty. Two of us had Venison which was slightly tough, another had pasta which she declared excellent. We sat in the garden area which was very pleasant to the side of the pub. Friendly service. Dogs accepted and there was a large bowl of fresh water for them in front of the entrance.

3  Thank Janice C
There are newer reviews for The Greyhound

Reviewed 5 May 2014

A traditional pub that looks to have been refurbed in the last couple of years. Bar area and garden for drinks-only or informal eating. The menu comprises traditional pub-style good (scampi & chips a favourite with the kids!) as well as a variety of specials. (Hake with crayfish tails in lemon and thyme sauce). Generous portions. Dogs allowed. A welcome change from the close by Little Brown Jug. We'd passed by on the main road many times but never taken the detour to Charcott. A great, family run pub. Worth trying.

3  Thank Greg_7Oaks
Reviewed 1 May 2014

I loved my home-made burger while the Mrs raved about the fish and chips, "Good Honest Grub" as long as you dont mind waiting for the food, which I dont if its good and it was. Abbey the bar maid was lovely and a credit to the pub and Tony the Chef/Owner wasn't bad too.
I highly recommend this quiet hidden gem.
Ignore other comments about fish and chips it was the best batter going and a huge portion of fish

1  Thank needabreak007
Reviewed 17 February 2014

My partner ordered fish and chips, the fish looked like the frozen battered cod you get from a supermarket. I ordered the lamb and it was very tough and tasteless. I would never eat there again.

4  Thank Julie P
Reviewed 30 January 2014

Went with friends for a special weeknight "steak and kidney" night and had fond memories of lunch there one sunday a year or two ago. I remember that the only minor quibble from back then was the decor but the Greyhound has been spruced up since then with oak floors and new bar and the look is now as good as the food. Very warm welcome from the staff and from the chef Tony. Steak and kidney was generous, hot (it amazes me how many places struggle to serve food as anything other than lukewarm), packed with good quality ingredients and plentiful veg. I recommended it to my in-laws who went there with friends for lunch today and raved qbout the pheasant and lamb. So much so, that they are going with other friends for lunch again tomorrow. I'm looking forward to being a regular from now on myself.

2  Thank Trev7Oaks