“Long drive”

Best Western Rose and Crown in Tonbridge
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Tonbridge
Reviewed 28 July 2014

Booked this hotel on line with Best Western Drove from North Yorkshire to Tonbridge Rose and Crown what a shock never been in a Hotel like this the room had a stale acrid smell hole in the carpet curtains falling off in two places the whole room looked as though not cleaned in months the so called garden which we over looked was full bags of rubbish rusty BBQs .
Went to reception to request a room which was clean shown another in the main building this was worse than the first room we refused to stay .
deputy manager offered apology and a refund we had to contact Best Western York Office for a refund they apologised and gave use 10000 points but we really wonted was a hotel fit for purpose after travelling from North Yorkshire we then had to find a hotel on a Sunday night not a good start to are break in Kent. Feel let down by Best Western

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Richard K, Owner at Best Western Rose and Crown in Tonbridge, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2014

david r: Thank you for your review, your comments have been taken on board, we have started work on the garden to rectify the things you commented on. Should you wish to return to the hotel in the future, please contact me personally.

Reviewed 20 July 2014

Stayed here in June for a weekend. The room itself not bad although in need of a refurb. Bed and towels clean and comfortable.
Breakfast good.
Common areas such as stairs and corridors needed a jolly good clean, dust and sweep.
Evening meal expensive for what it was. ton bridge generally a bit down at heel.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank WellTravelledHelen

WelltravelledHelen: Thank you for your review. I hope you will return to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed 14 July 2014

I stayed here for one night as part of a business trip, after six hours travelling we arrived at 9pm to find the restaurant had just taken its last orders, which is fair enough.
We were advised on check in that breakfast would be served at 8am, we had to leave at 8 for our business appointment and asked if there was anything they could to to assist, as we had paid an extra £15 per room for breakfast. The receptionists response was a very curt "No, theres nothing you can do" - from a service point of view this is poor, his tone and lack of willingness to do anything for us was really disappointing.

The room itself was ok, there was a massive gap underneath my room door, a good 4 inches, and my room was at the top of some stairs which all other guests had to pass to reach their own rooms, despite this I was only woken up once by voices from outside, but I do sleep with earplugs in anyway

The bed was massive and really comfortable, but it was a really hot night and there no way of cooling the rooms down, I didnt feel comfortable having the window open as the room is accessible from the outside.
One of my colleagues had the Victoria Room with a four poster bed, the window in her room didnt close at all despite our efforts. The room was also very dark.

All the floors are uneven and could be seen as a tripping hazard, this is obviously due to the fact that the hotel is housed in a really old bulding, but just beware of this.

A couple of us did actually manage to grab a quick bit of breakfast before leaving, and I think £15 for breakfast is quite an insult when breakfast consisted of boxed cereals and extremely dry and stale croissants, there was also fruit, yoghurt and some meat and cheese, but theres no way what was out there was worth £15 per head, the quality of the pastries was really poor, they were very small and very stale.
To say that there was "nothing" that could be done for us when we requested breakfast became even more of a disappointment when we saw how uncomplicated the breakfast service was in the first place - would it have been a massive hardship to provide some cereal and milk ten minutes prior to service?
I did actually read the guest information book in my room which stated that if guests needed breakfast earlier than the stated times to ask at reception!!

I wouldnt visit this hotel again, the wifi was also extremely poor and cut out constantly, coupled with the fact that there was no mobile singal either this made for a frustrating visit.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

deville1984: Thank you for your review. I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us, in particular the noises from outside of your bedroom and our sloping floor boards. Breakfast is £10.00 per person if booked in advance and £12.00 on the day. I would be grate ful if you could contact me, if you have been overcharged I will refund the difference. I hope you will return to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed 8 July 2014 via mobile

This is a friendly hotel with excellent customer service. The manager Lisa is always smiling and professional and makes sure all the guests are happy. I have eaten in the restaurant and the food is always tasty and reasonably priced. Recommended

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank 813Jake
Richard K, Owner at Best Western Rose and Crown in Tonbridge, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2014

813Jake: Thank you for your review, I am glad you enjoyed your stay and found Lisa to be smiling and professional, Lisa is a true star!!! I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 5 July 2014 via mobile

We got to Tonbridge found the hotel its on the main road heading through Tonbridge but there was nothing telling us how to get to hotel carpark.(my husband drove round the back streets and came across a sign telling us where it was).We got booked in OK and was told where our room was (no 11) the floorboards were very creaky and very uneven.The room was very nice and the bathroom very clean. It was a hot day so the windows were open . We got our few things unpacked and decided to go for a walk,so we tried to shut the window and the latch was broken luckily it was a warm day I wouldn't like to be in there in the winter !!!!! We then discovered that the extractor fan does not work in the bathroom and that if you didn't keep a hold of the bathroom door it banged on the wall all it needs is a doorstop !!!! When we got back we reopened the window well pushed it and all we could hear was the drone of a fan this went on until about 11pm which as you can imagine was very annoying you dont expect to have to put up with that!!! We decided to have an evening meal at the hotel which we both thouroughly enjoyed .We had read the reviews and decided to walk down the road in the morning for our breakfast which we did and it only cost a fraction of the cost it would have cost at the hotel,this is the first Best western we have stayed at that hasn't had a buffet breakfast . I dont think that we would stay here again but it was OK for an overnight stay on our way down south.

• Stayed: June 2014

JackieM: Thank you for your review. I am sorry you had problems finding the car park we are more than happy to give directions over the telephone or send you a map. Thank you for the compliments about the cleanliness, the floor boards within the hotel are listed as it is such an old building. I am glad you enjoyed dinner, I have passed your comments to the Head Chef. I am sorry you did not stay for breakfast with us, we like to cook all of our breakfasts to order this ensures they are fresh. I hope you will return to us in the future.

Reviewed 5 July 2014

I've been staying at the Rose and Crown hotel and I must say that Lisa on reception has gone above and beyond to help me on numerous occasions. The food is fantastic, not the longest menu, but still fantastic food. A good choice of beers are also available. This hotel is on the high street, ideal for exploring. On the night time the town is quite, so don't worry should you get a street view.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Brownbox: Thank you for your review and kind words about Lisa, our food & accommodation. I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 4 July 2014

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Best Western GB

Also consider these accommodations in or near Tonbridge
Hadlow Manor Hotel
Best Western Plus Hever Hotel
Hotel du Vin & Bistro
Hotel du Vin & Bistro
#4 of 14 in Royal Tunbridge Wells

Been to Best Western Rose and Crown in Tonbridge? Share your experiences!