“Olé! Fantástico!”

El Mariachi
Ranked #15 of 99 Restaurants in Tonbridge
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Cheap Eats, Child-friendly, Kids, Special Occasion Dining, Groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Hastings, United Kingdom
“Olé! Fantástico!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014

What a find this place is!Went with my mum and dad on a Tuesday night and the place was packed! we got the last table.Firstly, the atmosphere was buzzing and on a Tuesday night too! Staff were great and dressed in Mexican garb to add to the atmosphere.Started with an amazing and very boozy Jack Daniels Iced Tea. Highly recommended! I had a Texan hot chilli and my parents had the beef enchilladas. We all loved it. All in all a really fantastic. I have a big celebration planned in the next couple of months and this place is where I'm going to hold it.Brilliant!

“My Final Visit”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014

This was my second and definitely last visit to this establishment.
My first visit was on their second night after opening, and although the food was reasonable, the service was awful. There were four of us on that occasion, but they only seemed to be able to count up to three, with one of us always missing out, either a forgotten drink or forgotten starter.
However, as it was just the second night we could forgive them.
I really should have known better when thirteen of us turned up this time. Table was booked for 7pm, and we were aware that we had to choose from the five available dishes on the party menu.
At the top of the menu it stated that we would be welcomed with a Raspberry Tequila Slammer.
After half an hour, I mentioned this to the waitress, and she said we could have it whenever we wanted. Very welcoming!!
There wasn't a choice of starters. Just bowls of Nachos etc.
After an hour, these hadn't arrived, so we got up, walked two doors down the road to the Happy Cuisine Indian Restaurant, where we were made most welcome, and a good time was eventually had by all.
I wouldn't even rate this place one-star, but had to, to exit the screen!!!

Visited August 2014
1 Thank Robert H
“Hen party”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014

We came to this restaurant for my nieces hen night and all I can say is that it was fantastic. They catered for 28 of us and food,drinks,service and atmosphere were just fantastic. Thank you so much to the owner and his staff for making my nieces hen night on 19th July extra special.

“costly calamari”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014

We had purchased a Groupon voucher which encouraged us to try the restaurant having seen it on a recent visit to El Mariachi. The voucher was for two courses, but did not include sharing platters.
The menu is rather limited. Three of us chose calamari for a starter, and the other chose mussels. Maybe you get less on your plate because you have a voucher but we each had seven calamari! This would work out at over £1 ring! The mussels were not over generous, though they were large and deemed to be reasonably tasty and filling due to the bread that was served with it. Our main courses were Carne Porco Alentejana, which was a generous portion, a bit on the dry side, but OK. One cod, which again was said to be alright but nothing special, and a chicken fillet pitta which was way too spicy despite a request that it should not be.
Two of us tried the red sangria. It was very weak and bland. After a jug full between us I think we would have still passed a breathalyser test. They could take a few lessons from El Mariachi on this.
Two of our party decided on a couple of desserts from the cabinet. As no prices are displayed for these apart from stating "from £2.50" on the board you take a bit of a flyer on these.
As it turned out the "milky" pudding was £3.50 and the almond tart £4. Not too bad. However we had a requested some vanilla ice cream with the tart, and one small portion cost £3. We did rather feel that they were trying to make up their money due to the fact we had come in with a voucher. The staff were reasonably friendly and the toilet clean. It is a very basic café interior and it would have been nice to have heard some Portuguese music, and not have the video screen showing MTV or some similar channel, it rather lacks any authentic atmosphere.
We had high hopes of finding a new place to eat in Tonbridge, so this was a disappointing experience and not one we would bother to repeat.

2 Thank oap46
“Fun and lively Mexican”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2014

This is a very lively and fun Mexican restaurant. Staff are friendly and helpful. The food is very well presented and tastes wonderful. Plenty to choose from.
There are plenty of cocktails to drink . The evening was very enjoyable with Mexican hats worn by all.
Would defiantly recommend it and would defiantly go again.