“Overnight stopover”

Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Tonbridge
Isle Of Wight, United Kingdom
“Overnight stopover”
Reviewed 12 July 2014

We had stayed at this particular hotel once before earlier this year, so we knew what to expect. We have quite simple expectations - quiet - comfortable beds - good night sleep and clean. And that is exactly what we got. Useful to have a fan in the room as it was a very warm night so that was another plus.

Personally I am not that keen on the adjoining Vauxhall Inn, (personal thing only - can't really fault it) which is where breakfast is served, but my wife thinks it's OK and who am I to argue!

We haven't had a bad experience at a Premier inn yet.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Manchester
Reviewed 10 July 2014

We stayed for two nights in June visiting family locally. We've stayed at Premier Inns regularly across the country for the last few years and I have to say I think the overall standard has declined recently.

Our room was a little tired; particularly around the bathroom - needed new grouting, a new bath and generally a little TLC. We had to ask for a second bath towel despite booking a double room for two. The rest of the room was also bordering on shabby - everything just looks like it has seen a few too many years use now.

We used to see Premier Inn as a safe "you know what you're getting" bet. Rooms were well appointed, modern and clean. I really hope that they're not going the same way as Travelodge did a few years ago - they need to decide if they're going to keep things regularly renewed and of a decent standard (even if that means raising prices slightly) or dropping the price to go with the ailing rooms. Sixty odd pounds is reasonable but not astoundingly cheap (especially when paying an extra 6-8 pounds for a breakfast which is average at best).

We probably will be back but only as the location is so convenient for our needs. We won't be eating breakfast at the adjoining pub again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Timbo_82
WhitbreadHotels, Online Customer Service at Premier Inn Tonbridge Hotel, responded to this review, 12 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. We really appreciate your feedback very much as this enables us to improve standards and provide guests with the best possible service and a comfortable stay. Thank you very much for telling us about the issues with the bathroom; these issues will be seen to immediately as we work to improve our hotel standards. We hope to welcome you back in the future.
London
Reviewed 30 June 2014

We were looking for a budget hotel where we could just dump our bags, get ready and get a decent night's sleep, and this fit the bill perfectly. The room was exceptionally clean and well-maintained.

The location isn't central but isn't a significant walk/ drive from tonbridge centre. All that is nearby is a pub, but that is always handy! The pub has a lovely beer garden with excellent views (when looking above the car park).

But best of all was the receptionist. I think her name was Teresa, but can't be certain. She was working the Friday 27 June shift. She could not have done enough for us and was warm and professional at all times. She added a personal touch to a very impersonal hotel typical of large chains.

• Stayed June 2014
Stafford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 June 2014

Dont usually stay at PI's, this was a last minute booking as nothing else available in the area. Arrived after 8pm and went for a meal at the adjacent pub. Room was typical PI but had a bed frame with a loud creak with even the slightest movement in bed, advised the manager on checkout and he immediately offered a full refund under there sleep guarantee ,which I did not expect but could not fault the service. As I have said before, I do feel this chain is overpriced for what they offer. If you manage to get rooms on the special offers (ie £25 to £45 ) then a comfy bed and limited wiFi and free parking is a decent deal.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Gosport, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 June 2014

ARRIVAL .. I checked in about 4.15ish on the 17th June .. A lovely lady on her first day (being supervised by a young lady) both very pleasant and very friendly, I must also comment that the lady on her first day that checked me in will be a great asset to the hotel, she had that natural persona ...
ROOM .. My room was somewhat dated and need of an overhaul, There was a mould patch on the bathroom ceiling above the bath and brown stains around the tiles at the end or the bath, The bedroom dressing table should of been replaced sometime ago !! The varnish on the dressing table was starting to crack and bubble with not a single power point near the bed..
THE NIGHTS SLEEP .. No air conditioning to cool the room down and this particular night it was 23 degrees in the room ( yes a fan was supplied but that only blows the the same hot air around) so had to open the window .. Big mistake as traffic noise and car park noise was disturbing to say the least ..
NIGHT PORTER !!!! After my evening out I returned to the hotel about 11.15pm .. I approached the the glass entrance door and this man slightly glanced towards me and lent forward from watching the football on his phone and pushed the button to let me in, I entered and as I walked past the reception desk I said thank you .. No acknowledgment what soever, he didn't even look up as it was the football on his phone that I seemed to be interrupting .....
But more worrying I could of been anybody but he just buzzed the door open and let walk straight in !!! .. Very comforting !!! So all in all A very poor experience and bad nights sleep at a budget hotel with lazy night security for £78 ... I have used Premier Inns before but next time I visit Tonbridge I will searching for a different hotel ..

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank K W
WhitbreadHotels, Online Customer Service at Premier Inn Tonbridge Hotel, responded to this review, 22 June 2014
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Hoyle is located on a busy roundabout but did no suffer significantly with noise, rooms to one side of the hotel have no view and window is heavily shaded with tress making the room dark.
Staff friendly, room was clean but a little tired.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Alan S
Huddersfield
Reviewed 27 May 2014

The first Premier Inn that we have been disappointed with.

* car park and hotel behind the Vauxhall Inn the appearance of which made our hearts sink
* car park didn't feel a secure or safe environment
* isolated location
* hotel looked dark and gloomy
* shrubbery at the front was neglected - overgrown in places with brambles and ivy / wall basket at the entrance door contained a live weed and dead shrub.
* reception area very cramped and tired
* lady on reception on arrival was very pleasant however the man on departure was not
* room spacious, clean but just looked tired
* the spring closing device on the door was very loud no matter how hard you tried to be quiet resulting in loud bangs during the stay with guests entering and exiting their rooms
* we didn't sample food in the Vauxhall Inn as it simply didn't look inviting

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank BigAndyg
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tonbridge
Premier Inn Tonbridge North Hotel
#1 of 1 in Hadlow
Hotel du Vin & Bistro
Hotel du Vin & Bistro
#3 of 14 in Royal Tunbridge Wells

Been to Premier Inn Tonbridge Hotel? Share your experiences!