“Nice Dessert, shame about the service... charge”

Pearson's Arms Restaurant
Ranked #20 of 135 Restaurants in Whitstable
Price range: US$1 - US$141
Cuisines: Gastropub
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 3 June 2014

We decided to try this restaurant as we'd just moved into the area and it was recommended. Fair on them they seated us right away without a reservation at 12pm on a Sunday. After a while we got served for drinks and our order- we were downstairs so had no view but we came for the food anyway.

Starter:
Eggs Benedict- it was OK, there were no salt and pepper pots on the table and this dish really needed some seasoning- it was well-cooked just bland. My wife liked it anyway.

Main:
We both had the beef, I thought it over done but not my partner- the 2 slices of carrot and parsnip were very mean, again I thought it needed some flavour.

Dessert:
My wife had a poached fruit which was cold and not very good, I had the salted caramel parfait which was gorgeous and made the meal for me. In fact this dish is the only reason I wrote this review as it was truly exquisite, I only wish the rest of the meal was as outstanding.

Big complaint is the bill came with 10% already taken off for the tip, do we really need this in a place that charges £19.95 for a Sunday lunch? WIll not return just for the cheek as the service was terrible, please let me choose my tip next time.

6  Thank Jtlx
Write a ReviewReviews (1,066)

Reviewed 1 June 2014

Took mum there for her birthday, it was a hot summer day, the service was attentive but the food was disappointing for the price. Central London prices designed to exploit DFLs but the food was dressed up basic faire made without the skill I would expect.

3  Thank Bob_DVB
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Visited on a very hot Sunday lunchtime. Booked table upstairs with a seaview.- lots of pretty pastel sailboats weaving to & fro - very picturesque Pearson's (&Whitstable on a sunny day) had a good laidback vibe.

Food was really good - I'd read a few reviews and had some concerns as not all had been complimentary. Absolutely no need. We had a really tasty three course lunch. There were six of us and we all enjoyed our meals.

I would suggest booking a table upstairs if you want to have a view.

1  Thank jinx1_8
Reviewed 27 May 2014

Pearson's Arms was once the only place to eat on the beach in Whitstable. Hard to believe, but up until about 1988 Whitstable was a very run down little seaside town. Then came competition from the Oyster Fisheries just opposite, and the Pearson's Arms declined. Now it has a new chef, and it is popular once more. Very, very popular. It took me by surprise when we went on the Sunday night, during the May Bank Holiday. Downstairs, we had to push and struggle through the crowd in the pub who were singing and dancing along to a live act. He seemed immensely popular. We managed to get upstairs to the restaurant, which was very quiet, with just a few occupied tables. I think they stop serving in the restaurant early on Sunday. So we sat at a lovely, roomy table by the window, watching the world go by and the sun start to set. And listened to the crooner downstairs, who was enjoying rapturous applause, from admires inside the pub, and out. He had quite a repertoire.....

There is a set Sunday Lunch menu, £19.95 for three courses. I had a smoked salmon starter, my companion had a poached pear salad. There was no bread offered. I asked for bread. After a while some bread turned up, warm, on a plate so hot the butter was literally sizzling, and dissolved very quickly into a little pool. However, a good selection of bread. I don't think it is remiss to ask for a little bread? In most restaurants, the bread appears as a matter of course. This surprised me a little. The starter was good.
For my main, I chose Fish Pie. Companion chose roast beef. After a while the waitress came to the table and informed me that, sadly, someone had dropped my fish pie on the floor. My choice: Would i wait for another fish pie, which might take an age, or do I opt for another main course option? Well, I didn't want to spoil the evening, so I chose the roast beef. Actually, it was superb, with braised vegetables and perfect potatoes. Slightly bizarre? My fish pie bit the dust?
And so to dessert. I had local cheeses, and really lovely black crackers (pumpernickel?). For the money, a great dinner/ lunch.
However, this is still very much a pub, very much with live music, and very busy. Don't expect a rarified atmosphere. No, you would have to go to Samphire for that, and they don't have the views!! Oh, the sunset! The general buzz of people enjoying themselves! If that is what you like, with great food, go to Pearson's Arms. But there's a butterfingers in the kitchen..........

2  Thank new_horizon1
Reviewed 24 May 2014

We ate from the bar menu and were not disappointed.
The fish finger sandwich was great and so were the chips.
Ok the rest of the customers were much younger than us but we did not feel out of place.
This is the second time we have eaten here last time was in the restaurant upstairs.
I am sure we will return again.

1  Thank MartyHel