“Mothers Day let down”

Quayside
Ranked #82 of 123 Restaurants in Whitstable
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Cheap Eats, Child-friendly, Bar Scene
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television
Description: http://www.seewhitstable.com/pages/P1010612_JPG.htm
Whitstable, United Kingdom
“Mothers Day let down”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2014

Went their for something to eat, but order 4 small dishes to share between us. Firstly we waited 1/2 an hour for the food to be deep fried and brought out. When it eventually came the calamari was swimming in oil. It was totally inedible and spoilt the rest of the food for us.
On complaining to the manageress we were told "you have your money back what more do you want?" We eat there many times over the course of the year, but will NEVER be going back there.
Never been spoken to like that.
The ladies toilets could have also done with a good clean, as there was empty sanitary dressings left on the floor. Yuck!!! What a let down to an otherwise lovely day.

• Visited March 2014
2 Thank Unhappy2801

Whitstable, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Poor food, poor customer service”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2014 via mobile

Took mum here for Mother's Day as in the past we had lovely small dishes of food and me being 6 months pregnant I wanted to go somewhere that I trusted. However, after ordering 4 small meals we waited 30 minutes for the food to be served I had to go and chase it (we were the only people eating in there, only 3 other groups of people in there...not busy at all) 10 minutes later our food was served.
Upon inspection we noticed that the tartar sauce served with the whitebait had already been used by someone else. We could tell because it was 1/4 full and had obvious dip marks, when I pointed it out to the waitress she swore blind that she had filled it a moment ago. I then pointed out that it wasn't full, had dip marks and the paper pot was soggy there wasn't much she could say.
The calamari we had was the most disgusting calamari I've ever had, it was completely sodden in oil with puddle of oil on the plate. When we sent it back there was no apology, it was just taken from me and taken back to the kitchen. We waited 15 minutes for a new plate which never arrived, I went to complain and just ask for a refund but I was greeted with the money for the refund without me being able to explain why I wanted the refund.
As we left I wanted the manager to know how disappointed I was with the service and I was just answered with an OK, no apology or anything.
I definitely don't recommend this place...go somewhere else!!!! The best thing they serve is the stuff they don't make i.e. the drinks!!!! Mind you they did charge me a large drink when in fact I only had a small...

Visited March 2014
1 Thank Melanie Q
Kent
“A much better visit”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2014

I hadn't been here for several months. After very mixed experiences I'd gone elsewhere, but my step-daughter wanted to treat us to lunch and this was her choice.

Unlike my previous visit there was a choice of four real ales, and the beer was well kept. We sat outside, but inside the TVs weren't at an overly obtrusive volumes, as they had been on some previous visits. The service was friendly and efficient.

We sat outside, and this time the tables were clean. The tables are still a bit wobbly, and a bit small for rating at, but that's not unusual for pubs with small outside areas.

Food arrived quickly, generous portions, and well cooked. The menu is very seafood focused, but they had a vegetarian choice. The chips were hot, and my step-daughter said her whitebait were very good. The quorn fillet in a bun with chips wasn't bad at all, with a decent side salad and the skin-on fries had flavour. My wife was perfectly happy with her meal to. Not great gastronomic delights, but simple pub food done decently.

For Whitstable, the prices weren't bad. Unpretentious without feeling like a rough dive.

• Visited March 2014
Ashford, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best Burger!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2014 via mobile

I often come here as a family (massive home made roasts) and with mates to watch football (homemade blue cheese bacon burger). I have no hesitation recommending this pub to visitors and locals alike. I enjoy it being a nice safe well run pub, the food being good solid homemade stuff is an added bonus!

• Visited January 2014
“Drunk thug landlord”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 December 2013

After a hard day at work thought I would pop in and have a half and spend twenty minutes playing the fruit machine the landlord appears clearly drunk and asks me to leave clearly having no recollection of the fact I had watched an entire football match with him two weeks previously he states he has no idea who I am and threatens to get his shoes on and beat me up have lived in whitstable for forty years and spent thousands in his pub and have never been treated like this so BEWARE AKCOHOLIC VIOLENT LANDLORD

• Visited December 2013