“Could do better”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Whitstable
The Duke Of Cumberland Hotel
Ranked #7 of 12 Whitstable B&B and Inns
Reviewed 31 May 2011

Overpriced, was told the room numbers for our stay, but on arrival one room was very small but we had paid for a larger room; no refund or difference given or spoken about.
Breakfast was ok and served by a very pleasant young girl who made up for the rest of the staff. We had to ask for the heating to be put on as it was very cold in the rooms, this took awhile to sort out, very ungracious. This B&B, I would not call it a hotel is tired and needs a good lick of paint, freeview tv's, telephone in each room, shaving points; in fact updating.
We have stayed in many B&B's in Whitstable and have stayed in some of them more than twice but we would have to think twice about staying at the DOC again.

Reviewed 26 April 2011

I am extremely disappointed with this B & B, (I would not describe it as a hotel) the rooms are obscenely over priced, our party had a total of 11 and we had practically booked out all the rooms. On the first day none of us were able to have a hot shower, in fact a couple had to resort to washing there hair in the basins due to the lack of water. We were all charged different rates all over £100 a night!!! I was told that I was in a ‘superior room’ which we had not booked or asked for but apparently that wasn’t relevant as we were in one. The definition of a ‘superior room’ here is one that has been decorated and has a new bathroom. As I said before the showers don’t work and the toilet was blocked!! My fiends had ants all over the bathroom, I could go on about how poor this place is but I think you get the general idea. My advice to them is to change there pricing policy as the manager said she is sick of people always complaining here and she hates her job (nice to hear). I would suggest £50 a night inc breakfast and people would be less inclined to complain at over £100 a night, we as customers expect a very good service with all facilities working, I don’t think that is too much to ask for. Please take heed of this warning before booking and also remember it is above a pub.

2  Thank JAD099
Reviewed 26 April 2011

Literally one of the worst hotels I have ever stayed in. There were 11 of us in total staying at this hotel as part of a wedding party. We were promised discounted rates as we were booking so many rooms, only to arrive and find each of us being charged different amounts ranging from £205 to £225.50 for 2 nights. Apparantly because some of the rooms had been decorated, this meant they were 'Superior'. These superior rooms had no hot water at times (we showered too late apparantly), a blocked toilet and ant infestation. When we complained, the landlady told us that we're lucky to have got the rooms and pay the price we did, because usually it's more that this! It's above a really noisy pub, and just not very nice. If the rooms had been £50/night, I don't think it would have bothered us, but to charge these prices is criminal. The landlady said that everyone always complains, and that she hates her job. Says a lot. DON'T STAY HERE!

1  Thank alstott1
Reviewed 5 July 2010

My husband and I decided on a weekend stay in Whitstable at the last minute.. After contacting various hotels who had no availability I received an email from the Duke of Cumberland that they had just had a cancellation..

I had looked at the pictures of the hotel rooms on the internet, and they didn't look very nice - I had even prepared my husband for the worse.. However, on arrival I can genuinly say that I was pleasantly surprised. The room was really nice, very clean, freshly painted and had a very comfy bed.. The ceiling above the shower was a little moldy.. but nothing too bad.

We only had breakfast at the hotel (which was included).. and again, enjoyed the food.

The staff were very pleasant.

But finally, I have to say that the location of the hotel was perfect. A minutes walk from the beach, and right in the centre of all of the shops, restaurants and bars.

I would definitely stay here again..

Reviewed 13 June 2010

We visitied the Duke of Cumberland June 2010. I was surprised that the place was so shabby, Checking in with the bar staff, who were very friendly and can i say the only saving grace of the place. It is a huge building, that has been made into many hotel rooms. The premium room at £90 per night was clean enough, but the walls were that thin, we might as well had a curtain for what privacy it gave, and noise control. The first night was kept await by a very loud amorous couple and the the 2nd night a load of very rude drunks. The manager sat at the base of the stairs and her face would have cacked if she has smiled. All in all a terrible experience never to be repeated

1  Thank netty67scouser
Reviewed 6 December 2009

My boyfriend and I have just got back from a night in Whitstable where we stayed in the Duke of Cumberland Hotel. The B&B itself was fairly basic, the room was decorated pleasantly enough but it could have benefited from a fresh lick of paint, and the bathroom I'm afraid to say was not up to standard at all, the toilet was filthy and the showerhead was quite vile. Disappointing as the room was quite cosy but we both felt it was a little tired.

As it was a wet and windy night, having explored Whitstable all day (its such a lovely little town) we decided to try the restaurant in the hotel. We had had a drink in the pub section of it earlier in the day and although it was a bit shabby the staff were friendly, so we decided to try it out as the menu looked inviting.....

....needless to say the food made up for anything the room lacked, it was incredible!! To be honest neither of us had hugely high hopes and were expecting slightly fancy pub grub, we were very pleasantly surprised!

We had starters of Cauliflower soup and Mushroom & Poached Egg Bruscetta both of which were amazing, my boyfriend had Lamb Stew which was cooked so well the lamb just melted in your mouth and I had the Butternut Squash Risotto which was one of the most amazing things I've ever tasted, absolutely delicious, I ate it so slowly as I wanted to savour every mouthful!!! We then had Pecan Pie for dessert which was gorgeous. As it was a birthday treat for me we had a bottle of Sancerre which was £20 so we expected, bearing that in mind, for the bill to be fairly high, again we were pleasantly surprised when it came in at under £60!

All in all if you want to stay in a fairly basic B&B but have an amazing meal this is the place in Whitstable to be!

Reviewed 3 August 2009

We've stayed at this pub 3 times and love it. We've always had a very comfortable room. If you're expecting 4 * in Whitstable don't stay here - you need to pay a lot more!

The breakfast is always excellent and the staff are very friendly.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Whitstable
The Marine Hotel
Hillview
Hillview
#1 of 12 in Whitstable
Whitstable Bay Bed and Breakfast

Been to The Duke Of Cumberland Hotel? Share your experiences!