“A nice find” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #47 of 121 Restaurants in Whitstable
Price range: US$10 - US$23
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Bar Scene, Child-friendly, Cheap Eats, View, Groups
Dining options: Brunch, Lunch, Drinks, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Cash Only, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Faversham
“A nice find”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2014 via mobile

So it was a sunny Spring day with a chilly wind and we decided to take a drive past the seaside. As we did so we discovered this pub and decided to give it a try. There is a bar and a restaurant area with ample tables outside some of which overlook the sea. We opted to sit in the bar area and enjoy the sea views. They stock real ales as well as a wide range of bottled beers and ciders. The menus consist of light meals (sandwiches,baguettes, bowl of chips etc) to main courses (Gammon egg and chips, various burgers, pie of the day and quite a few others). There is also a blackboard which has a few specials. I noted they had cottage pie as well as steak and kidney homemade pie amongst the selection. I opted for the latter and my wife had a chicken and bacon burger with chips. The portions are generous enough so that my even my wife's sweet tooth wasn't enough to try the dessert menu. My pie was delicious. I had it with new potatoes which were cooked just right (some pubs tend to overlook them). The vegetables consisted of small portions of carrots, squash and cabbage. Nothing special about the veggies. We weren't there long when the pub began to fill up. We got the impression that this was the local for several senior citizens and noticed a few meeting up in the restaurant area and other just sitting around the bar chatting whilst others seemed to be enjoying the day out with their adult kids. It's a friendly place with friendly staff. Whilst settling up I overheard the manager on the phone apologising as they were fully booked that (Saturday) evening. It's a solid pub with lively chatter, friendly staff and good food. The total bill for a pint of ale, a pint of bottled cider, burger and a pie with a latte and a coffee came to less than £30. Recommended.

Visited May 2014
1 Thank WinerDinerFaversham

maidstone
“Good food and excellent service.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2014

We decided to go to the Coast for a walk and after checking Tripadvisor before we left The Royal seemed worth a try. We went Sunday lunchtime and it was very busy. We did not book but they did manage to squeeze us in. The staff could not have been more helpful and the food was served up very quickly. It was one of the nicest roast dinners we have had in a pub for a long time. It is on the outskirts of Whitstable in Tankerton so don't expect any shops nearby. As well as good food the Shephard Neame beer was equally tasty.

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank coopermanloose
Canterbury, United Kingdom
“1st, 2nd and 3rd Time Lucky”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2014

Today was the 3rd time we had lunched at The Royal and each time has been as good as the last. On the first two occasions we ordered from the normal menu, but today we had the senior special deal. I told my partner that it probably would not be as good as the previous meals. How wrong could I have been. Two courses for £7.99. This is served Mondays and Wednesdays. Both the local fish and carved ham were delicious. Followed by spotted dick and custard. The staff were very attentive and friendly and we came away looking forward to our next visit.
Well done everyone at The Royal.

• Visited January 2014
2 Thank scotie418
Whitstable, Kent
“10 % surcharge for parties”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2014

Went here in a group of 25 and they wanted to charge us 10% because it was a large party. Wasn't the fact that we must have spent over £500 enough I ask. We didn't pay as after a discussion it was removed from the bill. Food and service here are fine. Good pub grub in pleasant surroundings but beware of taking a large group here because of the surcharge.

Visited January 2014
1 Thank gas65
Canterbury, United Kingdom
“Nice”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2013

I ate here recently with a large group. When we arrived we had drinks, which were quite expensive! Unfortunately the only starters available were fish or soup of the day, and I don't eat seafood, plus I didn't fancy tomato soup so I just went without. The main meal was tasty, and the rest of our group seemed happy too, clean plates all around. But nobody was raving about it, and considering the price this seemed a shame! again people were fairly happy with their desserts, but I had a cheeseboard and was rather disappointed, sure there were about 5 cheeses but each one was only bite sized and the chutney wasn't very nice. They were very dry, hard cheeses and seeing as I didn't have the chutney with it I didn't enjoy the cheeseboard much. I had some wine, which was very nice and fairly priced. Overall this place was a good experience, but the menu is a little restricted and doesn't cater for many tastes, and it is overpriced. I'd go back there if I was invited, as the food is good quality, but I wouldn't choose to go back there of my own accord, mostly because of the lack of variety on the menu; it is basic pub food but unfortunately not basic prices. That being said, the service was good and no complaints in that area!

• Visited November 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Been to The Royal? Share your experiences!