“Great Food”

Cuisines: Pub
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 28 July 2014

The food served is excellent, especially the cod. Very large portions. Excellent selection of desserts. Could have more barstaff for faster service. Were a bit disappointed that on the evening we were there, we had to switch wines several times as they ran out of three different varieties throughout the evening. Will definitely return for the excellent food. Wonderful pies!

steedyo, Owner at The Royal, responded to this reviewResponded 3 August 2014

Hi there. Thanks for leaving your review. It is always good to hear feedback. Sorry that the choices of wines ran out during the evening. We are just changing the wine list and I believe you caught us in that changeover period. Also, I have recently increased the staffing levels so we can serve more efficiently . I'm glad you had a nice meal, and we hope to see you again

Reviewed 23 June 2014

My mum was 95th on the evening of June 13th & I booked a round table for a family celebration. My husband & I came from Spain & my brother & partner came from Sweden & my daughter & husband came from NYC so The Royal had to satisfy different taste buds. On this they came up trumps. We all ordered from the special board & the cod was as big as a whale, the skate could have fed the 3rd world, the slow cooked pork belly melted in your mouth & I could go on & on & on....everything was delicious & after a short break we couldn't resist a dessert. Heaven. The only down side is that it was back on the diet the next day....the staff were obliging, the atmosphere was lovely. I am spending the next 8 weeks in whitstable & will certainly go again. Think we'll tackle the quiz night next that's if I don't fall asleep with a full belly while it's going on. Well done The Royal...

1  Thank JaniceB32
Reviewed 16 June 2014 via mobile

The Royal in Tankerton is what you might call "a locals pub", however in the summer it benefits from the influx of daytrippers who come to enjoy Tankerton's slopes and clean beaches. It is also one of the finest purveyors of that British institution- the mediocre roast.

On our visit tables were busy with (generally older) people tucking in to their mediocre roasts with gusto. I ordered roast lamb and my girlfriend had roast pork. Both arrived in less than 5 minutes. The pre-cooked, sliced and then reheated lamb had a lovely hint of doner kebab to it, the Bisto was nice and hot and the insipid, poorly prepared out of season vegetables somehow managed to get hotter, the longer they sat in their oval white dish. My girlfriend said her flavourless, wafer thin pork was nice and soft and her Bisto was nice and hot too. The minuscule nugget of crackling was on the jaw - breaking side of crunchy.

Two roasts, a couple of pints and half an hour later, my girlfriend and I emerged from the Royal no longer hungry and only around £25 lighter. This is what the Royal does well, cheap, average food served hot and quickly. On some days they get very busy indeed.

1  Thank PeteMalone32
Reviewed 11 June 2014

Had been told that it was good there we were not disappointed we had the penioner's meal liver & bacon mashed pototo, swede, carrots ,cabbage onoin gravy,and for sweet i had fruit salad & ice cream the wife had spotted dick & custard Price £7.95 the service was great and the staff very pleasant

Reviewed 3 May 2014

So it was a sunny Spring day with a chilly wind and we decided to take a drive past the seaside. As we did so we discovered this pub and decided to give it a try. There is a bar and a restaurant area with ample tables outside some of which overlook the sea. We opted to sit in the bar area and enjoy the sea views. They stock real ales as well as a wide range of bottled beers and ciders. The menus consist of light meals (sandwiches,baguettes, bowl of chips etc) to main courses (Gammon egg and chips, various burgers, pie of the day and quite a few others). There is also a blackboard which has a few specials. I noted they had cottage pie as well as steak and kidney homemade pie amongst the selection. I opted for the latter and my wife had a chicken and bacon burger with chips. The portions are generous enough so that my even my wife's sweet tooth wasn't enough to try the dessert menu. My pie was delicious. I had it with new potatoes which were cooked just right (some pubs tend to overlook them). The vegetables consisted of small portions of carrots, squash and cabbage. Nothing special about the veggies. We weren't there long when the pub began to fill up. We got the impression that this was the local for several senior citizens and noticed a few meeting up in the restaurant area and other just sitting around the bar chatting whilst others seemed to be enjoying the day out with their adult kids. It's a friendly place with friendly staff. Whilst settling up I overheard the manager on the phone apologising as they were fully booked that (Saturday) evening. It's a solid pub with lively chatter, friendly staff and good food. The total bill for a pint of ale, a pint of bottled cider, burger and a pie with a latte and a coffee came to less than £30. Recommended.

1  Thank WinerDinerFaversham