“Great location, good food, just pick your room carefully.”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Continental

Hotel Continental
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Whitstable
Bedfordshire
“Great location, good food, just pick your room carefully.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2009

My husband, nine year old son and I stayed here at the end of Septmeber for one night as part of a cycling tour. You cannot beat the location, right on the beach away from any noise from the town. We had a family room which meant being at the rear which was a shame as the views out to sea would have been fantastic. Only doubles are at the front. The room was large, clean and had contemporary furnishings. Dinner was very good and the breakfast buffet was superb. All staff we encountered were helpful and friendly and we were able to lock our bikes in a storage shed nearby. The bar serves local ales and does nice coffees. Overall it was perfect for us.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
Wimbledon
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2009

Very disappointed with this hotel. We were so looking forward to our stay in Whitstable and the location is amazing, we could almost touch the sea from our bedroom window but the hotel really needs to smarten itself up. The smell in reception was like an old pub, disinfectant, stale beer and greasy chips. Our bedroom had only one rather dim bedside light and the kettle had to be plugged in on the floor as no socket near the tray. Dinner in the bar was not good and breakfast even worse with sticky tables, sliced white bread and the palest scramble eggs I have every eaten. This hotel is not cheap and could be so much better

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Whitstable hotels

Bristol
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2009

I stayed at this hotel whilst on a business trip - it had been booked by one of my colleagues and I have to admit my heart sank when I pulled up outside and saw the building! However, credit where credit is due, it was not all bad. Although the building is somewhat dated, my room was spacious, comfortable and most importantly clean. The bathroom was dated and definitely needs a new shower - my shower was running cold the next morning and despite all my efforts I wasn't able to get it above luke warm (possibly a bath may have been a better option for me!). Although they have "new" flat screen TV's in the rooms, the picture was poor and I could only get 3 channels.

The location is pleasant enough right on the seafront and if you are lucky as I was to have a seaview room, the sunset is very pretty. There is no official car park for the hotel, there is some pay and display parking at the front if you are lucky enough to get a space, and you can stay here free overnight until 8.30am the next morning.

Whilst I felt the hotel was maybe a little over priced, the same can not be said for their restaurant which I felt was very good value for money - the restaurant was the best thing about the Continental Hotel. I have eaten in many excellent hotels and restaurants and I have to be fair - the food here was very, very good. I was in quite a large party, and pretty much everyone had different dishes, however everyone I spoke to in our group was very happy with their meal. I would without a doubt eat there again and recommend it to anyone. They have a quite a lot of fresh fish and seafood on the menu however there are plenty of options for those not so keen on this. If you are in the area - even if you don't fancy the hotel, definitely give the restaurant a chance!

• Stayed September 2009, travelled on business
2 Thank LallyBristol
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 September 2009

I'm suprised to find so many negative reviews of the Hotel Continental! I've stayed in the fisherman's huts twice now over the past few years and am just back from spending three nights in the hotel. If you're after a modern, state of the art hotel then this place isn't for you. If however, what you're after is a good, clean and comfortable hotel in a beautiful spot then this is the place. Breakfast is great with a never ending buffet of local sausages, black pudding and all the other trimmings. The location is perfect, right on the sea front and only a short stroll into town. The staff are extremely friendly and helpful. Whenever we asked for something we had it in our room within 5 minutes. There's a bar that stays open until the last people leave and a good restaurant serving delicious locally caught fish. The fishermans hut's and hotel rooms are fairly basic but surely that's part of the charm? What more do you require when staying in such a special place. I really do recommend it. Sure, it's a bit worn around the edges but it all adds to the charm. When visiting a place like Whitstable you don't really need much more.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LondonColette
England
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2009

On checking in we were given our room cards, told the numbers and and hand gestured to just follow the stairs. No nice welcome, offer of help with bags even with myself pregnant and my elderly mum having to struggle up a lot of flights of stairs, there seemed to be no lifts, so not suitable for those with any disabilities. No info on the area or info on breakfast or check out. When we finally found our rooms they were small, just a double bed, a wall mounted tv, with 3 channels and very poor reception. A lovely view of the fire escape. No tea and coffee making facilities, just one small bottle of water. A coat hook with two hangers and a small chest of drawers. The walls in desperate need of a lick of paint and a wipe down, splashed with some sort of brown liquid as in the bathroom.The bathroom had been cleaned and was ok but in need of repair to tiles and paintwork, very shabby. The shower just trickled, I had to get just in the right position for any water pressure.

On a plus the beds were comfy and the linen all very clean.

Breakfast again wasn't great. A good selection, but cheap tinned fruit cocktail with a few bits of fresh apple in it and all the cooked ingredients were of poor quality. The tables were sticky, though a nice view of the sea from our table.

I had taken my mum there as a treat and that was why it was such a shame. I had read previous reviews of this hotel before but as the accomodation in Whitstable is so limited I though I'd give it a shot. Like others have said this hotel is very overpriced and lacking in any service or pride, very take it or leave it attitude. It really needs a good clean, lick of paint and some smiley staff, then it could be lovely as it's position on the seafront is nice.

I wouldn't recommend this hotel to friends or family and feel pretty dissapointed that a supposed treat for my mum was such a let down.

• Stayed June 2009
1 Thank Sara040England
Kent
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2009

We stayed here for one night on the mid week deal and found it an ideal get away for our wedding anniversay. We had a lovely room with balcony overlooking the sea, the bathroom was fresh and clean, and the large bed was really comfotable. We couldn't give full marks though because there was no hanging storage apart from a strange hook on the wall for hangars- also no hairdryer in the room (they were at the front desk, but I don't like to have to ask).
We enjoyed the set meal (it would have been nice to be offered 6 oysters instead of 3 for the starter- it made us feel that they were being less than generous and Whitstable is supposed to be a centre for oysters!). However, the meal was enjoyable and the breakfast was extremely tasty with good ingredients. The staff were friendly and helpful. After shopping in town, we came back to the bar for a great coffee. Overall an enjoyable experience.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
Hertfordshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2009

My husband and I stayed at The Continental last weekend for two nights having not been there for a few years. Having read the reviews I went with some trepidation as I had invited a friend to dinner on the Friday night. The Continental is a real Art Deco gem and has been well restored and decorated in appropriate style, even having some of the original period furniture on the landings. Our room was quite small and basic, but clean and comfortable and the views outstanding. Our dinner was excellent - not a fancy menu, but the food we had was superb. My husband declared his huge whole seabass to be wonderful and the steak my friend (a Whitstable local) and I ordered was tender and cooked just as we like it. The waitress was efficient and friendly. On Saturday morning the girl on the reception desk could not have been more helpful when I needed information about finding a specific location in Canterbury, printing information for me from the internet and giving me details of the local bus service. We found the breakfasts to be first class, with a good fresh fruit salad, nice French bread and top notch hot food. Although the hotel seemed to be full, all the tables were cleared promptly and fresh tea and coffee brought quickly. All in all, a thoroughly enjoyable stay and we will definitely be back. Beats the local Travel Lodge (where a friend told me he checked out at 3am and slept in his car as he could not stand the noise) hands down.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Whitstable
The Marine Hotel
ABode Canterbury
ABode Canterbury
#7 of 17 in Canterbury
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,798 reviews

Been to Hotel Continental? Share your experiences!