“Drinking in The Black Dog”
Review of The Black Dog

The Black Dog
Ranked #1 of 23 Nightlife in Whitstable
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Drinking in The Black Dog”
Reviewed 28 June 2014

Hubby & I love this charming friendly place.... with brilliant ales & ciders to sample with great staff..... this is our local!!

Visited June 2014

Whitstable, United Kingdom
136 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 245 helpful votes
“Ok but other pubs are quicker to serve you”
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Took a while for staff to register we were waiting for a pint. Some beers on the board not available, (rub them off then!). Decor a bit odd with the led zep name and all that. Should have gone for moby dick being by the sea and that (and having some "save the whale" types in cardigans)Bit of an awkward atmosphere with some silences and ear wigging. No seats available in or out so must be popular!

3 Thank SimeyWimey
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 34 helpful votes
“Fantastic little place”
Reviewed 27 May 2014

I absolutely love little gems such as this - it's a tiny cosy pub with an eclectic and gothic interior.
Just my kind of pub - you can tuck yourself away from the busy High Street, settle in for an entire evening getting well-oiled on the huge range of beers and ciders while not being surrounded by large families eating as you get in most pubs. Saying that though, I did see they offer toasties which I think is perfect to soak up some of the alcohol!

There are only a few tables in there, given the size of the pub; on busy weekends I'd imagine it would be a real struggle to sit down so it would be well worth a visit during quieter hours.

Only problem was the man who served us (possibly landlord?) didn't offer a lot information when we were clearly overwhelmed by the choices of ales and ciders and asked a few questions. Perhaps he was just tired as we did visit at the end of a very busy weekend.

I will be back very soon!

1 Thank Foodbug88
London, United Kingdom
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 34 helpful votes
“Good micro pub”
Reviewed 20 May 2014

My wife and i visited on sunday we were well impressed with the prices and the range of real ales, the wife only drinks lager so on advice opted for the light beer which she enjoyed. I had two of the five different ales on offer both of which were excellent.
We would definitely go back when in whitstable. The only down side to our visit was the group of locals who came in just as we were about to leave, they were well known by the owner and very large but friendly giant sitting at the bar, the man with the group leaned his elbow right into our space across our table as if to say your sitting in our seats, when we left the whole group immediately slid into our seats and he was still glaring at me as I waited for the wife, probably for not taking my glasses back, a thing I always try to do.

1 Thank John S
West Coker, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Real Ale and Cider Hidden Gem”
Reviewed 18 May 2014

Where to start? Fantastic mini pub with an exceptional collection of beers and ciders, expertly kept and a quirky ( in a good way ) atmosphere even thought there were only 8 customers in. Can't wait to go again and, for me, the most memorable thing about Worthing. Can't wait to go back, good job I don't live here, I would be in there every day.

1 Thank Nigel B