“The worst experience in my entire life !”
Review of The Marine Hotel

The Marine Hotel
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Whitstable
Reviewed 11 May 2013

I did travel a lot in my life and I am a chef for one of the greatest hospitality company in the world , I do not review hotel usually. I just review them if they ve been absolutely perfect or absolutely a disaster .
This time has been a disaster !
We arrive at 12 on the Friday 10th May.
We entry the reception lounge .... Nobody welcome us , so we have to speak first .
We did booked one of the best room for just a night .
Even thought they were 5 people rushing beyond the reception ( don't even know why since we were the only costumer present) they let us wait 20 minutes without saying the reason of us waiting .
Then we ask if everything was all right with the reservation and they say "yes the reason you waiting us that out printer does not work !!!"
I cannot believe that , but since me and my girl ( 6 months visibly pregnant )we were just out of London for two easy days I did repress my anger since they gave us the room keys after half an hour of our arrival.
Everything seems to be sorted and I was already willing to forget about the incompetence at our arrive.
Then I opened the room and find the room still to be cleaned by the previous guest departure
That's enough !!( do not forget that in whitstable this is the far more expensive hotel )
I ran downstairs for complain about it and the girls look at me and say " the check in is at two o clock , and you arrived before "
So then I was really upset and I said to her that if she told us and we would have left the baggage at reception.
Absolutely no understanding at all of costumer service.
In the meantime all the other 4 beyond the reception just look at us !
Not to upset my lady we left the hotel for a walk asking before left 5 times for a local map!
I asked to the girl at the reception where we were on the map and she have to call someone cause she did not know .... C mon!!!
During our stay a lot of other little things happened but I am not writing them since I might need all day to write them!!
To the other side the hotel has been refurbished last year and it's beautiful , clean and cosy ..... But still the staff is really incompetent a level that I never thought possible!!!!
I will never ever return in this hotel and talking with other costumers we are not the only ones.!

• Stayed: May 2013
5  Thank Bomberone1

Reviewed 9 May 2013

Very pleasant reasonably-priced hotel with comfortable rooms which has been recently refurbished with a maritime-inspired decor. Some of the staff are a bit inexperienced, which is inevitable with a new hotel, but all were friendly and helpful. Best of all, it has its own free parking.

The hotel is beautifully located on the Tankerton Slopes, within walking distance of Whitstable and with a beautiful view out across the bay. At low tide you can see the famous "Street" a tiny spit of land which stretches out to sea. You have to peer a bit out of the window to see the views unless you get a room with a balcony, but it was definitely nicer to be on the sea-side of the building.

The room was comfortable and warm, with a nice bathroom and plenty of towels and products. The only downsides were that the pillows were synthetic and not very good quality, the bed linen wasn't 100% cotton, and the bathroom was incredibly hot. The room was also a bit difficult to find and I spent a lot of time walking up and down corridors and stairs trying to locate it. Some of the ceilings are quite low on the top floor and I managed to bang my head whilst carrying my luggage up to my room.

The informal bar area and patio area were both pleasant, and the bar menu served in the Orangery was reasonably priced and the food reasonable quality, apart from the dessert. Breakfast was good but a bit slow and not really set up for the business visitor, more for the relaxed traveller!

Room Tip: Request a sea view or a balcony
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 May 2013

Stayed 6th/7th may two nights, had seaview superior room (with bath) as requested, room very good only slight issue was quickly remedied (towels missing), great sea view and possible to sit on the balcony, breakfast fine and reasonably prompt both mornings given that the hotel was quite full,we had dinner in the resturant on the second night, food was good service fine including a mid meal move as a nice table became free.
Overall a very good break for us.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 May 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights with family - had a great time as we were blessed with beautiful weather, nice walk into Whitstable. Food was excellent both lunch, evening meals and breakfast although staff seem a little overworked and rushed. Hotel including rooms were spotless and quiet .....atmosphere in bar and lounge areas was relaxing despite being busy most of the time....this is obviously a popular place for locals as well as tourists. Recommended.

Room Tip: Superior rooms overlooking sea and lovely
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lindanottingham
Reviewed 2 May 2013

Just had a two-night break with 5 women friends at this excellent hotel. Our 3 sea-view rooms had balconies and the recently refurbished rooms were of a very high standard (if slightly warm!) The staff were so friendly, breakfasts lovely, and the lunch snacks we had were very tasty. We didn't eat there in the evenings as we walked into Whitstable but the menu looked interesting.
It was a 15 minute walk from the station, through quiet residential areas, so very restful not having cars with us, and there are good bus services for the area (which suited us as Bus Pass holders! but we're young at heart!)

Room Tip: I only have experience of sea-view rooms, which were very quiet.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 April 2013

My husband and I stayed here last minute on 23rd April en route to Luxembourg. The staff on reception were charming but didn't show us to our room , pointed out the staircase and left us to it - which is fine.
The room was very comfortable and spacious with a balcony and sea view and; despite the fact that the road was under the window, there was a wedding party in that night and the outer door of the French windows doesn't shut in room 2 (there is happily a secondary glazed door that does shut, which we left open for fresh air) we had a very comfortable, quiet and peaceful nights sleep. The room was clean, well decorated, well equipped, the bathroom the same and lots of hot water and good towels. We ate at the crab and winkle on the fish quay - very good it was too - so cannot comment on dinner.
For breakfast we had fruit, the melon was in prime condition, lovely, and cereal and ordered one eggs Benedict and one Eggs Florentine but, as they were advertised as being served on bagels which neither of us like, instead of the usual muffin we asked for them to be served on toast. Didn't happen, so what arrived was a poached egg with a bit of hollandaise and bacon and a poached egg with a bit of hollandaise and spinach in a spinach water bath, basic error - drain spinach well. Good eggs, beautifully poached, good crispy bacon, should have had bacon and poached egg. We had both had some fruit and some juice but although the young woman waiting was clearly looking for something to do, there being only four of us in the dining room, she didn't clear the table so when the man arrived at the table with the hot plates there was no where for him to put them. we cleared a space and that was it; no one came near us again so we made a little pile of breakfast dishes and had some toast. What is it about hotel toast? How come that at all but the best hotels it is soggy and limp instead of crisp? No where among the detritus to read the paper, unnecessary; basic training should say do not leave your guests sitting in a heap of their used plates and cutlery. All of this is detail - which should not detract too much from what was on the whole a very pleasant nights stay, however when push comes to shove detail makes the difference between very good and excellent. We would and I hope will go back, the position is lovely and we enjoyed ourselves.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mrsmathy
Reviewed 29 April 2013

A lunch was booked here in the attractively refurbished hotel for my family. On booking,we were not told we had to leave by 2p.m., having booked for 12.30 p.m., due to a function in that room. When we arrived for lunch the waiter said we had to leave by 2.30p.m. And at 2.15p.m. t he senior waitress told us, pleasantly, we should move into the bar or Orangery as the wedding party had arrived an hour early.
We asked at the end if this sort of clash would be a feature of the hotel and the answer was
unclear.

The food was mostly satisfactory,if rather unseasoned, except for the fish and chips which were dismal. Very poorly filleted, so many bones were found, and the fish was a very thin fillet. So by the time the too oily batter was removed there was little to eat.

The female staff were very helpful and friendly but the waiter took 20 minutes to get our drinks in an unbusy room.

I think much of this was due to only just openeing so there were inevitable teething troubles. We shall go back later, especially as the wine was very good!

Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Whitstable
Crescent Turner Hotel
Best Western Abbots Barton Hotel
The Royal Hotel
The Royal Hotel
#1 of 5 in Deal

Been to The Marine Hotel? Share your experiences!