“Outstanding staff!”

Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Whitstable
Hertfordshire, United Kingdom
“Outstanding staff!”
Reviewed 22 May 2014

Our Marine hotel story starts back in Easter 2013 when having thought I booked this hotel found out I had booked The Marine Hotel in Ayrshire! It wasn't until trying to check in that the lovely staff pointed out my mistake. With it being Easter weekend the hotel was full but everyone could not have done more to help. They called the hotel in Scotland, explained what happend and somehow convinced them not to charge me for the non refundable rooms. They even found us a room at another hotel. Because of the excellent service we had, we immediately booked a room for Easter 2014. When we arrived on Good Friday we were checked in promptly and shown to our lovely room. It was beautifully decorated and the unique furniture made it that extra bit special.

We stayed two nights and I can honestly say that every member of staff was polite, courteous and helpful. I have to give a special mention to the manager, a lovely Irish lady (who's name I never caught). She even remembered me from my embarrassing incident last year!!

The bar is well price, more pub prices than hotel bar and the food was very good.

We had a lovely weekend away and I couldn't recommend The Marine more highly.

• Stayed April 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (338)
London
Reviewed 22 May 2014

We stayed at The Marine as a group of 20 people and we had a fabulous time. The service we received from all the staff was excellent. The rooms were great, the food was superb and everyone was so helpful. The walk into Whitstable is really pleasant and the views from the hotel are stunning.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends

Leominster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 May 2014

We had a great stay at the Marine Hotel. The room was excellent and the sea view was amazing. The hotel will become our regular base for visiting the Whitstable area. The Bar area was very comfortable and inviting with an excellent breakfast in the morning. Needed a good walk along the seafront afterwards. I would recommend this hotel to everybody.

Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 May 2014

Thoroughly enjoyed our stay in what is a friendly nicely sized hotel with a superb view.
The hotel is also nicely situated within easy walking distance of Whitstable along the coastal path.
There is a nice bar and the breakfast offered was nice and varied.

Room Tip: Sea view on the first floor

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 May 2014

We stayed here for a couple of nights in early April. This property, which is operated by the Shepherds Neame brewery, is a very pleasant place and beautifully situated. Our fairly pricey well equipped first floor room overlooked the sea. Breakfasts were fine and came with a smile. On one evening we dined in the hotel’s restaurant: the food was good, ’though not particularly memorable. That The Marine's run by a brewery is very evident (short-sleeved male staff, stonking great wall-mounted telly in the lounge, pubby bar, etc). The staff we saw were mostly friendly and accommodating.

Saffron Walden, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 May 2014

Excellent service from very friendly & attentive staff. Hotel has been beautifully refurbished. My partner had booked us a sea-view room with excellent en-suite facilties for a one-night stay to celebrate my birthday in early April. We could not check-in until 2pm, which is quite usual, so we had a lovely lunch in the restaurant while we waited. Lovely walk into the main town along the coastline - even managed the walk later that evening in heels! The breakfast the following morning was absolutely first class! The only small downside was the milk that was provided in a thermos flask for our morning cuppa went sour overnight. Apart from that, everything else was absolutely fabulous - I would definitely wish to stay there again.

Room Tip: I cannot comment on the value, as this was a birthday treat.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 May 2014

A disappointing stay at the Marine Hotel Whitstable (Tankerton, not Whitstable)

'Room service by request only': you either do room service like a decent/normal hotel does or you have a policy that states you don't do room service. I requested a glass of wine and was told 'you will have to go to the bar but it is closing soon, we don't do room service', this was stated at 23.00 and in the literature it says that the bar is open until 24.00 so we're not sure why it was closing early?

We didn't bother getting a glass of wine; but no worries its been a long day and we're better of going to sleep. But hold on I forgot my tooth paste, no problem. Heading for reception I was ignored by the first member of staff that walk straight past without saying hello whilst I said hi and clearly needed their attention, so I follow into the bar to ask to buy some tooth paste. 'No tooth paste but we have teeth cleaning kits, I will get you one' returning to tell me that they had run out. Come on now and ask yourself, have you ever stayed in a hotel and paid just less than £150 a night for this substandard nonsense? Travel lodge, holiday inn, F1, sell tooth paste or have a vending machine with tooth paste and other essentials that people may have forgot. It would be hard to find hotels costing these prices charge that don't put teeth cleaning kits in the bathroom as standard.

Hotel decor looks good, but lacks detail once your in the rooms, cheep lino on the bathroom floor, bad paint jobs ect.. The service provided is awful, and disappointing to me as it was an easy journey that I would like to take from time to time to stay in a good hotel. To clarify, I am not a big complainer, I travel with job regularly and stay in a lot of hotels and understand that standards vary from country to country and between hotels groups. I can travel into Asia with just a deodorant in the knowledge that every hotel over £150 will have everything I need and the service will be decent. I can go to a 1 * hotel in France and know that that star means it will be clean and have pressed sheets and a restaurant. Equally I would expect on arrival at a 3* hotel in Italy that the lobby, like yours will, looks great and the people unlike yours will be really friendly, but the room and the service could be not great. British hotel are a mixed bag, but service is general good and getting better because it has to.

This Hotel isn't worth the money.

My partner really likes the pillows though and I can't disagree their good!

No hard feelings, paid up and we will never return.

Room Tip: Choose a different Hotel
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family

3 Thank ASHLEY D
Also consider these accommodations in or near Whitstable
Crescent Turner Hotel
#7 of 16 in Canterbury
Holiday Inn Express Canterbury
Holiday Inn Express Canterbury
#1 of 1 in Upper Harbledown

Been to The Marine Hotel? Share your experiences!