“Many steps, tricky parking, lovely room, good food.”
Review of Marine Hotel

Marine Hotel
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Whitstable
Reviewed 20 August 2014

Although there is access for less physically able guests, and there is a lift, there are a lot of steps and stairs in this hotel. That said, it's an attractive, interesting building, clean and well-decorated throughout.
It's well worth paying for a balcony room, as the sea views are fabulous.

The hotel was easy to find, but parking can be a bit of a challenge. Driving along the cliff top from the Whitstable direction, take the right turn immediately before the hotel, then left along a narrow path between the tennis courts (yes, honestly!). The car park is a couple of hundred yards on the left, but it gets full at lunchtime and it's not possible to reserve a space. We double parked to unload. There are a few spaces at the front of the hotel and free on-road parking as well; as it's on the seafront they also get taken quickly, but in the early morning and from late afternoon onwards it wasn't a problem.

Our room was lovely; spacious and very comfortable, with a light, airy feel. Sadly, though, the internal bathroom, although perfectly functional and well-decorated, was dark and hot, despite the excellent aircon in the bedroom. I suspect the temperature was due to the heated towel rail, which I couldn't find a way to turn off. The room next door had a different layout; their bathroom had a window, so was much more pleasant.
There were no ironing facilities in the room, but these were brought quickly when requested from Reception.

When checking in, we were offered a flask of fresh milk for the room, which I thought was a nice touch. We had lunch, dinner and two (freshly-cooked to order) breakfasts at the hotel, and all the meals were very good.

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay here, and plan to return.

Room Tip: The balcony rooms with sea view are worth paying for, but ask for a bathroom with a window as well...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Val R

Reviewed 16 August 2014

We have just retuned from staying at this excellent hotel. We stayed in the Superior Double Room with Balcony and Sea View. Decorated lovely and exceptionally clean. We had our 12 week old baby with us and the staff couldn't do enough for us, making our stay even more special for our first time away with him. The staff were so friendly, polite and lovely and made us feel very comfortable. Breakfast was excellent. We will definitely return and would recommend this hotel to anybody.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Heaphy
Reviewed 16 August 2014

I got married here on 31/07/14. It was fantastic. I had cancelled my previous venue (very close by ) due to lack of leadership and poor management . Only the smaller room was available for the meal but this was large enough. So I booked it.
Kate , the manageress was extremely helpful, organised , polite and accommodating.
We had a meal here for 25 2 days before the wedding with a pre designed menu. The food and service was fantastic, everyone enjoyed it . The bar was sectioned off especially us, it looked lovely , I paid a pianist , Dave Derry to play at the meal , well recommended , think the hotel should book home for special nights.
The wedding went with out a hitch. The staff were so accommodating . I had so many wedding favours and little touches for my wedding but the staff carried out with out complaining .
Again food was good,
Although the marine hotel did not have the beautiful gardens of the other venue, it had the sea front and lovely views/sunset. Not sure if the Punch and Judy show on the seafront during our vows added character or not. Canopies and Pimms outside were nice.
Hotel room was nice. Might have been nice to have a free bottle of champers in the room for the bride and groom. Would have been a nice touch. Honeymoon room was lovely , overlooking the sea.
Breakfast was nice ( although couldn't quite get the eggs right on any day. )
Anyway , had such a lovely time , we have been there since with the dogs for lunch , they are a dog friendly hotel ( 2 dog friendly rooms) . Staff will still friendly! almost feel like family. We have booked for Christmas Day .
Thanks Kate and thanks all the other staff, sorry can't remember all your names , Robert was very helpful.
See you all at christmas . Head office should be proud of the hard working staff here.
Vicki

Room Tip: Get a delux seaview
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Vicki L
Reviewed 13 August 2014

After an exhausting three weeks driving around Britain with the kids, we decided to have a treat. We definitely picked the right place, the staff were friendly and helpful, the room was great and the view at sunset spectacular. We would highly recommend The Marine after a great experience.

Reviewed 11 August 2014

My wife and I stay in this hotel three times a year. We always book room 9. When we arrived at the hotel to check in we where given a key to another room, with no explanation bearing in mind we book 4 months in advance, we I questioned this I was told they had a last minute wedding and as this is the best room they gave it to the wedding party. If they had asked I would have agreed, if I was told in advance or explained to me as we arrived I may have. We travelled along way for our anniversary the staff where rude, inconsiderate and showed no remorse or common courtesy, I was offered a bottle of wine. We don't drink wine. I have now heard from numerous other people that they have had the same problems. So we left and drove home, never again

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
7  Thank gdix1
Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed for the night following a family wedding. Beautiful comfortable room. Fantastic view over the sea. Lovely, polite, happy friendly staff. Fabulous food both at the wedding and the next morning at breakfast. Highly recomnend.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Sheenagh L
Reviewed 1 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed here a few weeks ago on a Sunday night. It's always surprising to find a hotel that will allow you to bring your dog and to be honest I was expecting an old room covered in dog hair. I couldn't have been more wrong! The room was modern and spotless with a very comfy bed and excellent shower. We could take our dog everywhere in the hotel except the restaurant so we ate in the bar. Great good and excellent service from our waiter Harry. All the staff made us (including our dog) feel very welcome. I caught a few other names too, Kerry, Terry and Andy. Thanks for making our mini-break a real treat. We'll be back. Location is great too!

• Stayed: July 2014
4  Thank Annie8344
Also consider these accommodations in or near Whitstable
Crescent Turner Hotel
#6 of 16 in Canterbury
Canterbury Cathedral Lodge
Canterbury Cathedral Lodge
#1 of 16 in Canterbury

Been to Marine Hotel? Share your experiences!