“Excellent Seafood Venue and value for money”
Review of The Lobster Shack

The Lobster Shack
Ranked #14 of 133 Restaurants in Whitstable
Price range: US$8 - US$32
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: View
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Located on the East Quay of Whitstable's historic harbour, our restaurant offers stunning sea views along with the freshest sea food that you will find in the town.
Reviewed 18 February 2013

This is our second visit to the Lobster Shack and as we travel a long way for the pleasure (Southampton, Hampshire) we couldn't wait to again go for a meal. I was a little concerned as several reviews from people recently were very down on the restaurant and we hoped that it hadn't changed. We needn't have worried we enjoyed a lovely relaxed meal in a relaxed atmosphere although as usual it was very busy. We ordered the Fruit de Mer for 2 as a sharing platter excellent value for money and as usual the standard of the seafood was excellent fresh, well presented and tasty. The staff are friendly and helpful I will certainly be visiting again and if you have never been my advice is give it a try you will not be disappointed.

Luke G, Manager at The Lobster Shack, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2013

Hi Guys,

Good to see you again and thanks for the kind reviews, we look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed 29 January 2013

Have been to the lobster shack a number of times. The venue is unique and is just as pretty on a cold day as it is on a warm day. Service is always friendly and casual which is what you want on a lazy afternoon. The food is value for money and they have a range of local products served! We love it here and can't wait to go again! Perfect place for a family lunch or for a romantic beach dinner ❤

Hi,

Many thanks for the kind reviews, we look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed 13 January 2013

We had a nice Winter's day out, walking along the sea front and town centre and this place took our eye as it was beautifully placed at the back of the beach overlooking the sea.
The food came after quite a long time considering there were three chefs and two waitresses with very few customers.
Staff were cheerful enough but not particularly well turned out. The big let down was the food.
One dish of skate, chips and mushy peas; had no chips, which did come after it was pointed out.
The other dish of lobster, chips and salad I would presume, be cooked all day every day as their name suggests. Unfortunately, the lobster although cut in half was not very hot and not fully cooked leaving the meat cold, chewy and sinuey with some parts of the tail inedible. The claws had not been cracked so were impossible to get into with a knife and fork, however claw crackers were supplied once I asked for them.
Shouldn't this stuff be standard.
However the chips were freshly cooked and crisp and the salad although fine, had lost its appeal with the disappointment of the main ingredient. We should have used the chippy in the high street for about ten pounds instead of the thirty-three that this meal cost. Never again!!!

3  Thank blackcabbie

Hi,

I am very sorry you did not enjoy your visit to the Lobster Shack, I am glad the staff were cheerful but can only apologise for the standard of food you received.

Please email me on luke@thelobstershack.co.uk if you wish to discuss the matter further.

Reviewed 11 January 2013

We came across this place by chance, and it looked so warm and inviting that we stayed for an impromptu lobster lunch. Coming from London, the price of lobster here is very cheap, and was totally delicious. Very unpretentious place, just serving wonderful seafood overlooking the sea, literally.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for taking the time to put up a review! I am glad you enjoyed your visit and look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed 11 January 2013

I had been trying to go to this restaurant a few times last year but there were weddings being celebrated every time I tried! My mum came to visit in September and she loves lobster so this place came to mind immediately. In order to ensure we could eat there, I went over on Friday afternoon to confirm that they would be open and wedding free! We were told that they would definitely be open that evening.
We arrived back at 8pm on Friday evening. The lights were all on and the doors open when we walked in. We were the only ones there, so we walked across the restaurant to a table near beach side. There was a group of staff chatting in the kitchen. We got settled and then I went to the counter to order. A girl from the group of staff turned around and said "Oh we are closed". I pointed out that there was no closed sign nor had anyone spoken to us in the previous few minutes to confirm this. I also told her that I had come that afternoon to confirm they would be open. She just responded that they were quite so they had closed. We were pretty disgusted with the service, no apology or explanation, no attempt to recommend another restaurant owned by this group. The staff really seemed not to care. By the time we had been turfed out, it was 8:30 on a Friday evening in Whitstable....everywhere else was full! My mum really wanted lobster so we went to the Forge, a takeaway over on the beach also owned by the same group as the lobster shack. The were just closed but I explained to the lovely guys that my mum was visiting and she needed lobster. They sorted her out with Lobster, chips and salad for £15 and where lovely in the process!
Its a shame about the Lobster Shack. In a restaurant with everything else going for it, location, access to wonderful fresh seafood, I would think good customer service should be a priority, especially with so many other restaurants in town offering good food. Maybe they make enough money from tourists to not have to care about good customer service and enticing local customers, but it could be such a success if they made an effort. I wont go out of my way to go back and other than the forge, have been avoiding taking people to other restaurants owned by this group, to avoid a similar disappointment in the future

Luke G, Manager at The Lobster Shack, responded to this reviewResponded 14 March 2014

Hi,

Thank you for taking the time to review our restaurant. Thanks for bearing with us on a particularly busy day for March. We always strive to improve so please do come and visit us again soon!

Many thanks