“Management- get you act together!”
Review of The Lobster Shack

The Lobster Shack
Ranked #14 of 129 Restaurants in Whitstable
Price range: US$8 - US$32
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: View
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Located on the East Quay of Whitstable's historic harbour, our restaurant offers stunning sea views along with the freshest sea food that you will find in the town.
Kent
“Management- get you act together!”
Reviewed 20 June 2014

Took our friends for lunch but not happy with service or food- shame as we have been before and enjoyed it. Ordered 4 meals but only 3 turned up- apparently they were out of dressed crab and hadn't thought to let us know until the other meals were cooked and served up! Waitress was not particularly apologetic and seemed cross with us that we were unhappy with the situation! Another waitress served up the 4th meal later and had a nicer attitude- meanwhile my half lobster proved to be tough and chewy. I was going up to complain but my friends stopped me as they didn't want any more fuss- I should have done as paying up front before we are served gives the restaurant no incentive to keep up standards. There were plenty of staff around and it was a quiet Thursday lunch time- so could not see any excuse for this lack of communication and poorly cooked lobster.

3 Thank Maggie R
luko434, Manager at The Lobster Shack, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Hi,

Thank you for taking the time to review and apologies if we did not meet your expectations this time. Obviously the food should have been served at the same time.

Let me know if you wish to re-visit, my contact details are below.

Many thanks,
01227 772 157 / luke@thelobstershack.co.uk

• Korean first
  • Serbian first
“Cheap beer, good food, needs tweaking for 1st rate experience”
Reviewed 10 June 2014 via mobile

Great ale on tap and very good value for money £2:60 per pint

Oysters £5:95
Pint of prawns £5:95

Great views - sat on the beach munching our food

However - the layout of the food/ bar area needs more thought - separate the two and this may cut down on queue sizes. An hour wait for our food but happy to do so, lovely sunshine to enjoy. The seating area outside needs a spruce up on the oneside

1 Thank NatalieandMax
Hi,

Thank you for taking the time to review. I think you may have eaten in our sister Restaurant the Brewery Bar by the look of the pictures, this is just next door to us. We are currently in the process of ironing out any niggles ready for summer, so my apologies if it wasn't perfect this time. Glad you enjoyed the food and our real ale offer.

Many thanks for coming and hopefully see you again soon!

Dartford
“Amazing food, quirky place”
Reviewed 8 June 2014

We visited today and had amazing food, my partner had lobster which was to die for, and I had a burger which was also very good. Enjoyed the visit so much we now want to have our evening wedding reception there as its so different with lovely food and great atmosphere. Ignore any bad reviews, would highly recommend food and venue

2 Thank Sam I
Hi,

Thanks for the great review and brilliant news about the wedding! Drop me a email on luke@thelobstershack.co.uk or 01227 772 157 if you wish to discuss this further.

Many thanks and hopefully we will see you soon!

Cambridge, United Kingdom
“great meal!!”
Reviewed 30 May 2014

We found the Lobster Shack by accident but had a great meal. My Mum and i had fish and chips. The fish was cooked to order, was well cooked and delicious. My children had scampi which they really enjoyed. Staff were friendly, efficient and helpful. Would highly recommend.

• Visited May 2014
Hi,

Thanks for taking the time to review! Glad you enjoyed the food and hopefully we will see you again soon!

London, United Kingdom
“Well worth persevering with the bizarre location”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Surprised by the negative reviews as our lunch here was amongst the highlights of our second trip to Whitstable. If you can find your way behind the hideous aggregate factory at the port then you'll find a very cool venue with unobstructed views of the sea and a vast, informal, fun interior. I suspect it might be a different venue in peak summer, when it's presumably full of drunk students and surfers, but in the May Bank Holiday it was very family-friendly with acres of room of prams.

Our food was excellent - despite the limited menu (no doubt after a busy Bank Holiday weekend). My wife's lobster was bang-on and the oyster fritters with lime and chilli mayo were excellent. Having run out of most other stock the chef offered me some local herring - off the menu. Lucky me, as they were delicious.

• Visited May 2014
Hi,

Thanks for the great review! We do sometimes run out of items after a busy bank holiday but luckily one of the local fisherman managed to land us some lovely fish early Tuesday. I will pass on the kind words to the staff.

Thanks again for taking the time to review!