“Clean, close to road network, competitively priced”

Holiday Inn Express Burnley
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Burnley
Reviewed 22 April 2012

Arrived by M62 (still undergoing upgrade), departed by scenic route over the hills into the West Riding. Travelled around the area by coach - what a surprise the area turned out to be - well worth a visit. Room clean, shower room well designed. Quiet at night. Ask at reception about walking along the canal into the town.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business

Reviewed 16 April 2012

Stayed with my two lads as we got a decent deal for two nights. We normally use a different budget chain and so it was nice to have a change. On the positive the hotel is modern and has a decent lobby / bar area with attentive staff.

The room was a family room and smaller than what we have encountered elsewhere, hence we found it easier to stay in the lobby area when we wanted to sit down and chat etc. however, this hotel is VERY popular with coach trips and hence the bar can get full. Speaking to the staff they said it would be busy with coach trips until Oct so be aware!!!

Breakfast isn't great. It is a hot plate affair and a very limited selection of standard cereals, toast, beans, sausages and scrambled egg (made from wet eggs I think) and rather poor coffee. It was cheap and hence we were happy but had I paid full price I'd have been less than impressed.

We will return if we get a similar deal but it will have to cheap for us to go back.

Stayed: April 2012
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Burnley, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2012

Dear CaptainFlashman,

Thank you for your feedback. We are glad you liked the location of our hotel and had a good experience with our friendly staff. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We're sorry you were not fully satisfied with the breakfast. We hope that you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Jaime W
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 11 April 2012

This was our first stay at this hotel since September 2009 and again we where not disappointed.
The hotel is a standard holiday Inn Express which still retains its relatively modern feel. The hotel is very clean throughout and our room fully met our needs. We had just returned from holiday and travelling from Manchester Airport back home to Scotland. We had stayed at the hotel on several occasions in the past and felt it would be nice to visit again. There is no convenient restaurant close to the hotel and so we made the decision to eat that night in the hotel. The meal was quite acceptable although we did feel that a cost of £5+ for two single cups of tea to be much more expensive than would be expected for this hotel. The hotel was not busy with it being just before Easter and again we had a pleasant stay which fully met our expectations. we found the hotel staff to be very friendly and welcoming and will undoubtedly return again in the future.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 March 2012

This is the first time I have stayed here and it will be my last!! I stayed 4 nights.I left the hotel after my first night there and returned back in the evening to find my room had been left open by the housekeeping staff all day. I went to ring reception only to find the phone in the room didn't work so I went down to report it course they apologised for both & assured me the phone would be sorted. When I left yesterday after 4 nights it was still not fixed. They did offer to change my room the day before I was leaving. I spoke to so many staff about various things including also my air conditioning/ heating wasn't working right they then gave me an electric heater that also wasn't sorted before I left. I wanted to use the complimentary computer in reception ...that also wasn't working for the two evenings I needed to use it.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank phantomhaze
Steven F, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Burnley, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2012

Thank you for your comments placed through Trip Advisor.
I was disappointed to read your feedback and as such have sent you a private message asking for contact details to discuss this further.
We always strive to provide the best service and amenities we can and if we have not met your expectations, then i sincerely apologise.
I look forward to hearing from you in due course.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 20 March 2012

We stayed at the HIE in Burnley for one night. We were welcomed by the friendly team at reception.

The hotel is modern and up to a high standard. The room was spacious with up to date facilities. The hotel also has a spacious and informal public area for relaxing with a drink before dinner. Breakfast is standard HI fare.

The hotel is conveniently located off M65 close to most of the midland attractions and business parks.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the M65.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple

I would like to thank you for your comments and appraisal of our hotel placed through Trip Advisor.
I am pleased that you favoured our hotel and that it met all of your expectations
Once again Thanks

Regards

Reviewed 6 March 2012

I currently stay away over 100 nights per year, at least 75 of which are within the Holiday Inn Group.

This was my first stay at the Holiday Inn Express Burnley, and… potentially my last.

The hotel is a new style Holiday Inn Express that ticks all the brand standard boxes in terms of appearance and style. However…My ongoing experience of the hotel is as follows: On arrival at the hotel the check in staff were… simply missing. I arrived at 7.15 PM and the two female staff members choose to serve 4-5 bar customers rather than acknowledge that I was standing at reception, potentially one of them could have checked me in while the other served at the bar ? After a time check in was deftly taken care of, e.g. breakfast times were conveyed etc. However no mention was made of my membership to the Holiday Inn loyalty scheme, no welcome letter, no discount at the bar, absolutely nothing.

The reception area is the typical open plan bar, breakfast and dining area which was well kept, tidy and clean. The modern bed rooms are of brand standard and where also ell kept, tidy and clean. The hotel has a free car park. The breakfast (free) is now the typical Holiday Inn Express “part English, part continental” which is a mix of croissant and or catering style sausage/ bacon and a powdered scrambled egg mix, with toast, pastries and machine orange and coffee.

The hotel does provide an evening meal service which I have not tried to date. As with most Holiday Inn Express’s they are happy to let you order in from local takeaways.

Unlike other Holiday Inn Express’s there are NO local shops or eateries within visual distance of the car-park.

If you were to ask would I stay again, unless I was working locally, then perhaps not, as a seasoned traveller, first impressions count. In summary I have awarded this hotel a 3/5 for an average Holiday Inn Express that offered nothing extra.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
IHGCare, ihgcare at Holiday Inn Express Burnley, responded to this reviewResponded 26 March 2012

Dear Theresaheadinit,

Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay at Holiday Inn Express Burnley. It is regrettable you were not satisfied with the service you received. I would like to address this with you further. I have sent you a private message to obtain more information about your stay. I look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Brenda J.
IHGCare

Reviewed 27 February 2012

Stay here every week for a couple of nights, rooms are clean & tidy.
Staff are always very helpful.
Great value for money & easy to find.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank S G

Many thanks for your praise and continued custom with us here in Burnley.
We look forward to seeing you soon

Thanks

Steve

Also consider these accommodations in or near Burnley
Travelodge Burnley
Old Stone Trough Hotel
Old Stone Trough Hotel
#1 of 1 in Kelbrook
Mercure Blackburn Dunkenhalgh Hotel & Spa

Been to Holiday Inn Express Burnley? Share your experiences!