“Silver Wedding Return”

Best Western Oaks Hotel & Leisure Club
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Burnley
Reviewed 15 June 2014

Having held our Wedding Reception at the Oaks Hotel in 1989, in what was then their brand new function room, we decided to return back to where it all started, 25 years later with 30 friends and family for a celebratory lunch time meal. Donna, their event's coordinator couldn't have been more helpful. Nothing seemed too much trouble and she went out of her way to ensure the occasion passed without a hitch. The room was beautifully decorated, Daniel and his staff were attentive and accommodating and we had yet another wonderfully memorable day at this hotel. Donna suggested we stay overnight and make a weekend of it, so we took her up on the offer and benefited from the hotel's leisure facilities and a nice breakfast. Too often recently when staying in other establishments we have discovered an out-of-order Jacuzzi or a tepid damp steam room so it was refreshing to see all the facilities In The Oaks Hotel leisure club working perfectly - even the pool was lovely and warm! We will certainly be going back, we don't intend to wait another 25 years before returning !

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the front of the hotel overlooking the lawn !
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
BWOaks, General Manager at Best Western Oaks Hotel & Leisure Club, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your delightful review of your Silver Wedding celebrations held here at The Oaks. I will share your feedback with Donna, Daniel and the rest of the team. They will be delighted to know they had such an impact on your day. I hope to welcome you back in the near future.

There are newer reviews for Best Western Oaks Hotel & Leisure Club

Reviewed 9 June 2014

We stayed a single night and enjoyed the stay. All the members of staff we met were friendly and accommodating; the hotel felt much less impersonal than many large hotels. The leisure facilities are good; we used the pool, there is also a large sauna and large jacuzzi, and a small one immediately by the pool itself. We had dinner in the room, and the meals were good. Breakfast was functional rather than luxurious.

I've seen a few reviews complaining about the lack of view; we were at the end of a corridor, and looking diagonally from our room we could see the gardens and grounds, but looking straight ahead was just the wall that others have mentioned. I would think the other rooms on the corridor would have a view of nothing but wall. It didn't bother us - the room was quiet and comfortable, but I could see it being a problem for others.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience from your recent stay. I was pleased that the majority of your stay was positive. I hope we can welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 4 June 2014

Stayed here for 5 nights whilst on business in Burnley. Great friendly staff and a really quiet retreat. The pool and gym are fantastic and the breakfast was lovely. Quite a big hotel so if you are not good on your feet it could be a struggle but for me it was fine... Make a visit

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Xian1234

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of your recent stay with us. Its great to hear that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay and that you would recommend other guests to visit. I hope we can welcome you again in the future.

Reviewed 4 June 2014

Attended what I thought was an engagement party for a lovely couple I know very well... To be totally surprised later in the evening when the Bride and Groom appeared and they had already got married in Las Vegas. What a fantastic Surprise! We were totally shocked and thrilled.The Staff did not give anything away... Well done for your discretion! We were totally fooled. The evening was amazing and the Staff were very pleasant and friendly. The Bar was not over priced like some other hotels I have visited and the Homemade Pie and Peas later in the evening was excellent. Also Well done to Donna Eveson who helped organise the Surprise Wedding Reception and did not let me on the Secret! The evening was Fantastic... Thank you for a lovely experience.

• Stayed: January 2014
2  Thank SallyMoomin

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience of a surprise wedding reception held here at The Oaks. I was delighted that your whole evening was positive. I will share your feedback with the team and in particular Donna who you gave a special mention. I look forward to welcoming you back for future events.

Reviewed 2 June 2014

I have just come back from a two night stay and can honestly say the staff were superb throughout. Everyone was happy, friendly and helpful which really does enhance the experience. Would definitely recommend it to anyone who wants to be treated as a person rather than a number!! Spa is a little tired and could do with a make-over.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
BWOaks, General Manager at Best Western Oaks Hotel & Leisure Club, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your lovely review. I was delighted that you found all staff to be friendly and helpful and that this enhanced your stay. I look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 2 June 2014

I only stayed for one night but found the hotel very satisfactory and the price for a single occupancy better then most hotels in the area. The Oaks is in a nice central location without being right in the over crowded centre. The staff were very pleasant without being like stuck up actors like some hotel staff, they were normal people without being to familiar and were prepared to have a little chat if their work load allowed.
I only had breakfast but I enjoyed it and there was more than enough and it was cooked to perfection, only complaint - more butter for the toast please.
I did however feel that I needed a map to get around particularly after a few drinks, a couple of days and I would have worked it out.
The room was good with a view of the cricket pitch, bed comfortable but like all hotels pillows an odd assortment, the bathroom very good with interesting lighting and nice and clean. There was a water mark and a small hole where there had been a water leak from the room above, but these things happen and was the type of general maintenance work which would be done in time.
The only complaint was that the room was only short distant from what I think was the air conditioning unit almost outside my window and could be heard all day and night, but what made it a little annoying was the room did not have AC, I will remember when I go again to ask for a room on the other side of the building.
I have been to some hotel that one could only describe as disgusting but not this one I felt it is a very acceptable place to stay and the cost of living was only £3.40 a pint unlike the last hotel I stayed at in Scotland where it was £4.20 and watered down.
I do recommend Oaks Hotel as a town hotel with a very large garden useful for a stroll around before or after a meal.

Room Tip: If you have sensitive hearing ask for a room away from the AC unit.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your pleasant and informative review. I am glad that on the whole your stay was a good one and that you found the staff pleasant. Thank you for high lighting some areas for us to improve on also. I hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 29 May 2014

Stayed here with my wife because I needed to be in the local area for the morning, so picked this hotel for its location.

However on arrival was met with friendly reception staff and a very pleasantly located building with interiors that were classy and warm. We found this to be the same of all the main public areas, though the corridors were a bit of a maze !!

The bedroom was spacious and had all the amenities you would expect. Comfy bed and a decent sized bathroom.

The bar downstairs was well stocked and the young man serving was attentive and very conscientious about cleanliness and leaving empty glasses about.

The evening meal was poor on both quality of food and service. Albeit a wedding was on, the wait was excruciating and the food was below par for a normal hotel, never mind one that had impressed so warmly on us prior to our dining experience. We were offered a complimentary drink which we accepted on the evening. We also had our starters removed from the bill on the morning, and after liaising with the hotel manager we have kindly been offered a complimentary meal next time we are in the area. I do not know if we will be in the near future but the gesture has been well received. We are all entitled to mistakes and have a bad night but the hotel staff certainly have made efforts to both appease and compensate us for our troubles. I won't and don't need to go into details as I have already raised them with the hotel staff.

We wanted breakfast at 7.30 which was too early for cooked but we were served by very friendly staff on the morning who served us tea and coffee and rusted up some toast for us to go with the cereals on offer, which was more than adequate.

The building and surroundings are certainly very good and the bar service was great. Im sure coupled with a good evening meal this would be the most pleasant of hotels to stay in and the response I have received from the management would not put me off recommending the hotel.

Hopefully I will be able to return and sample what I am sure would be an excellent dinner service.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank nedthewonderhorse

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. Having discussed your stay with you in detail I will be sure to follow up on the area's that we failed to meet your expectations in. I am glad that you enjoyed the majority of the stay and do hope you can take me up on the offer of a meal with us in the future.

David Martin

Also consider these accommodations in or near Burnley
Best Western Higher Trapp Country House Hotel
Mercure Blackburn Dunkenhalgh Hotel & Spa
Foxfields Country Hotel
Foxfields Country Hotel
#1 of 1 in Billington

Been to Best Western Oaks Hotel & Leisure Club? Share your experiences!