“lovely venue for a special occasion”

BEST WESTERN Higher Trapp Country House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Burnley
Burnley, United Kingdom
“lovely venue for a special occasion”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2014 via mobile

We hired the function room for a family meal to celebrate my grandmas 90th birthday and we're very pleased with the whole service. The tables were laid out in the conservatory with lovely views over the garden. We had the area to ourselves which was nice as it meant we had a private bar area with plenty of room on the dancefloor for the kids to run around and play.
The food was nice and plentiful, we all enjoyed the dishes and couldn't really fault it. The staff we're constantly on hand and made sure the tables we're tidied after each course and there we're no long delays between courses, nor were we ever made to feel rushed.
All in all we had a lovely day and would choose the higher trapp again for a special occassion.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
DCCLAPHAM, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Higher Trapp Country House Hotel, responded to this review, 2 April 2014
Thank you for your review of our hotel. I am delighted to read you had a wonderful function in the hotel. Thank you for your lovely comments about the staff and the service you all received.

Maxine Walsh

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (191)
Runcorn, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2014

As a treat for Valentines day my wife and I decided to stay here on recommendatios from internet reviews. The room was very nice and clean but the hot water - wasn't - until about 5 minutes after leaving the tap running. The food was lovely but the eating area 'Fitzy's Bar' while probably great in the evenings for a drink or two, didn't really set the scene for a 'special' meal. We were confined to a small balcony area because we were residents. Not what I had in mind for a Valentines meal.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western GB

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am pleased you were happy with your accommodation. I am sorry you were disappointed with the eating area. Since your stay Fitzy's bar has had a refresh which has improved the overall ambience. I hope you will return to the hotel to see the changes that have been made

Sheffield, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2014

We stayed in this hotel whilst attending a friends wedding. The wedding was very well managed but our experiences of the hotel accommodation and Hospitality were very poor.

On our arrival we were greeted in an unwelcoming manner and although we paid the remainder of our room fee using a debit card we were told that the hotel did not take debit cards and only payments on credit cards would be accepted; cash back was also not an option. As we would be staying at the hotel for the evening we were going to need to buy drinks etc. and so had to venture into the village to find a cash point. This information could have been made clearer when we made the booking. The confirmation letter states ‘Payment is required on arrival if using a debit card or cash’ which doesn’t make complete sense and would indicate that debit cards would be accepted on site.

On our return we were directed to our room; room 20. Once in the room we quickly realised none of the lights worked; we tried both the wall mounted lights and bedside lights and looked for somewhere to put the room card (like used in other hotels). We then went back downstairs to speak to the receptionist and explain that we had no lights in our room. The receptionist (K);

My Partner: ‘Hi, are we being stupid but do we need to put the card in somewhere to work the lights?’
K: ‘No.’
My Partner: ‘Well the lights aren’t working.’
K: ‘Do you want them now, do you?’
My Partner: ‘Yes please.’
K: ‘Ok, I will come up and show you then.’
My Partner: ‘Is there always this problem with the lights in that particular room?’
K: ‘Yes’
My Partner: ‘Would it not have been a good idea to tell us when we checked in then?’
K: ‘People don’t normally ask.’

At this stage I could tell my partner was becoming increasingly frustrated and so I interrupted to try and ask what the issue was. When in the room the receptionist started flicking the switches on and off and eventually the lighting came on.

Once in the room we found the bathroom dirty and having noted a ½ used bottle of men’s shower gel open on the sink indicating it hadn't been cleaned prior to our arrival, or if it had it wasn't to a satisfactory standard.

We both left the hotel very dissatisfied at both the customer service and the standard of the room. When paying in the region of £80 for a night’s stay in a three star hotel we would expect a standard higher than that we received during our stay at the Higher Trapp Country House Hotel; we would certainly expect lighting to work without needing instruction.

Following our visit, I followed up my complaint with Best Westerns customer service - voted top 10 contact centres apparently (!!). I was sent a reply straight back which said...

'This has been forwarded to the General Manager and that someone would contact me with a more ‘comprehensive response.’

7 weeks later I asked where the response was finally I received a reply admitting responsibility;

Cleanliness; ' I will be raising this problem with the housekeeping team at our weekly meeting.'

Lighting; ' I have made sure the issue has been reported to maintenance, and I will personally make sure that this problem is rectified by maintenance this week. '

Card payments; '...you are right in saying that it is not clear. I can only apologise for this and we have changed the confirmation letter to make the information clearer for future guests.'

Given the issues encountered during our stay (and that the hotel accepted full responsibility), I would have expected some kind of compensation or good will gesture. I don' think I will get anything but to be honest I am just happy with the knowledge I can steer clear in future!

Room Tip: Don't go for room 20 if you want lights!!
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank s1im_j
Maxine W, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Higher Trapp Country House Hotel, responded to this review, 14 June 2014
Whilst we normally respond positively to any criticisms, we feel on this occasion that this review is not a truthful representation of this guest’s experience. Particularly the account of the conversation with our receptionist, as this is certainly not the manner in which a member of our team would speak to a guest. Furthermore we responded directly this guest 5 days after receiving their original complaint. We are not sure why this guests believes it was 7 weeks.

Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2014

Just stayed overnight at this hotel and was very impressed. Surrounded by lovely countryside a real peaceful setting. My wife and I stayed on the 08/02/2014 on a room only basis ,though we did have the breakfast which was very nice . We were in room 18 this was a good sized room with sufficient storage space for the both of us. The double bed was very comfy and well presented and I had a good nights sleep. The bathroom was of reasonable size and nicely finished. The bar area was very relaxing, and just off it was a lounge with a TV and lovely leather furniture. All considered I would rate this stay as an 8/10 based on location price and comfort . Also a quick mention for the staff who were helpful friendly and efficient

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review of our hotel. I am delighted you enjoyed your accommodation and the breakfast. It is lovely to read your review and thank you for you kind words about our staff. I hope you will stay with us again.

Oxford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2014

My wife and I always stay here when we have need to visit the area. The rooms are large and modern, especially where we stay in the Parker Lodge Annex (away from any wedding parties), the staff are welcoming and the meals generous. Well situated for the Pendle countryside and for Burnley town.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Best Western GB

Thank you for your lovely review. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay. We feel the Parker Lodge is the perfect location to enjoy a quiet break and I am pleased you agree! We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel soon.

Warm Regards

Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2014

We have stayed at the Higher Trapp Hotel on numerous occasions and always enjoyed our stay. New Years Eve was as good as ever. The staff were very helpful, professional and friendly. We had booked the disco and buffet in Fitzy's Bar. The service was excellent and the food was even better!
Enjoyed it so much we have already booked for next year.
A big thank you to all the staff at The Higher Trapp Hotel for making the start of 2014 so special for us!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review.

I am delighted to read your comments about your New Years Eve experience at our hotel. Thank you for your kinds words about our staff and the buffet, I am pleased you enjoyed everything. We look forward to seeing you in December 2014!

WarmRegards

Southport, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2014

We stayed at Higher Trapp Country House Hotel between Christmas and New Year for one night.
The Accomodation in a lodge adjacent to the hotel was excellent.The staff were excellent but we were quite disappointed with the food.The chips had not been cooked in hot cooking oil and resembled savoury coated boiled potatoes cut into slices.The shoulder of lamb was not a true shoulder but thin slices of lamb all wrapped up with mint sauce to make it look like the shape of a shoulder of lamb !! Having said that we both enjoyed the prawn starter.
The hotel is in a lovely setting with lovely views of The Ribble Valley.We would stay again but would like the hotel to be honest about the food they are serving.To be looking forward to a shoulder of lamb and to be served a parcel of slices of lamb mixed up with mint sauce is not really very clever in a Western Group Hotel.

Room Tip: The lodge is highly recommended.Very recently re-furnished with good sized rooms.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review of our hotel.

I am delighted you enjoyed your accommodation in the Parker Lodge and the service provided by our staff. I am sorry you were disappointed with your evening meal, I have since spoken with the kitchen team about your meal and I agree it was not up to standard. I hope this will not deter you from staying with us again as we would like to be able to rectify your disappointment.
Thank you once again for your comments, all feedback is taken on-board to make continuous improvements.

Maxine Walsh
Also consider these accommodations in or near Burnley
BEST WESTERN Oaks Hotel & Leisure Club
Rosehill House Hotel
Rosehill House Hotel
#4 of 7 in Burnley
Holiday Inn Express Burnley
Best Western Ribble Valley Langho Mytton Fold Hotel & Golf
Premier Inn Burnley Hotel
Mercure Blackburn Dunkenhalgh Hotel & Spa

Been to BEST WESTERN Higher Trapp Country House Hotel? Share your experiences!