“lovely 90 birthday party” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of BEST WESTERN Higher Trapp Country House Hotel

BEST WESTERN Higher Trapp Country House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Burnley
Burnley, United Kingdom
“lovely 90 birthday party”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2014

Very pleased we choose the higher trapp for my mums 90th birthday party. The food was of a very good quality and the staff very helpfull. I would recommend the higher trapp to anyone looking for a nice venue to celebrate a special occasion. Me and my husband have also dined in the restaurant on other occassions and always been pleased with the food.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Janet F
DCCLAPHAM, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Higher Trapp Country House Hotel, responded to this review, 2 April 2014
Thank you for your review.
I am pleased you had a lovely 90th Birthday for your mother at the hotel. Thank you for all your feedback and comments, these have been passed on to the relevant people.

Maxine Walsh

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
Leicester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2014

Probably the best hotel stay I have had so far :)
Every single member of staff was friendly and warm from the outset,if the Manager is looking at this, your staff are an absolute credit to you and should be congratulated. Our room was delightful with lovely views over the pretty gardens to the rear. The hotel was quiet with only a Christening party when we arrived (it was early March) All the public rooms are full of character and we spent several hours in the beautiful "oak room"....a wood panelled tv lounge with lovely leather winged arm chairs and sofas. Ritzys bar serves drinks and food pretty much all the time (food stops around 9pm) and the food was very good as was the breakfast. One negative were the vegetarian sausages which are of the pressed vegetable and rice type....(we veggies actually dont like them) Quorn is the way to go guys:)
Very comfortable beds, extremely clean and lots of nice touches like a lavender spritz spray for your bed for a good nights sleep.....I want to go back right now:)))

Room Tip: There were two of us and we had a family room, because it was available, would be great for a couple...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank missfishlash
Thank you very much for your delightful review. I am so pleased you were very happy with everything about your stay. We have a great team here, I have of course passed your review on to everyone. I have passed your comments about the vegetarian sausages onto the kitchen team.
Thank you once again, I hope you will return to stay with us in the near future

Burnley, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2014 via mobile

We hired the function room for a family meal to celebrate my grandmas 90th birthday and we're very pleased with the whole service. The tables were laid out in the conservatory with lovely views over the garden. We had the area to ourselves which was nice as it meant we had a private bar area with plenty of room on the dancefloor for the kids to run around and play.
The food was nice and plentiful, we all enjoyed the dishes and couldn't really fault it. The staff we're constantly on hand and made sure the tables we're tidied after each course and there we're no long delays between courses, nor were we ever made to feel rushed.
All in all we had a lovely day and would choose the higher trapp again for a special occassion.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for your review of our hotel. I am delighted to read you had a wonderful function in the hotel. Thank you for your lovely comments about the staff and the service you all received.

Runcorn, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2014

As a treat for Valentines day my wife and I decided to stay here on recommendatios from internet reviews. The room was very nice and clean but the hot water - wasn't - until about 5 minutes after leaving the tap running. The food was lovely but the eating area 'Fitzy's Bar' while probably great in the evenings for a drink or two, didn't really set the scene for a 'special' meal. We were confined to a small balcony area because we were residents. Not what I had in mind for a Valentines meal.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with Best Western GB

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am pleased you were happy with your accommodation. I am sorry you were disappointed with the eating area. Since your stay Fitzy's bar has had a refresh which has improved the overall ambience. I hope you will return to the hotel to see the changes that have been made

Sheffield, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2014

We stayed in this hotel whilst attending a friends wedding. The wedding was very well managed but our experiences of the hotel accommodation and Hospitality were very poor.

On our arrival we were greeted in an unwelcoming manner and although we paid the remainder of our room fee using a debit card we were told that the hotel did not take debit cards and only payments on credit cards would be accepted; cash back was also not an option. As we would be staying at the hotel for the evening we were going to need to buy drinks etc. and so had to venture into the village to find a cash point. This information could have been made clearer when we made the booking. The confirmation letter states ‘Payment is required on arrival if using a debit card or cash’ which doesn’t make complete sense and would indicate that debit cards would be accepted on site.

On our return we were directed to our room; room 20. Once in the room we quickly realised none of the lights worked; we tried both the wall mounted lights and bedside lights and looked for somewhere to put the room card (like used in other hotels). We then went back downstairs to speak to the receptionist and explain that we had no lights in our room. The receptionist (K);

My Partner: ‘Hi, are we being stupid but do we need to put the card in somewhere to work the lights?’
K: ‘No.’
My Partner: ‘Well the lights aren’t working.’
K: ‘Do you want them now, do you?’
My Partner: ‘Yes please.’
K: ‘Ok, I will come up and show you then.’
My Partner: ‘Is there always this problem with the lights in that particular room?’
K: ‘Yes’
My Partner: ‘Would it not have been a good idea to tell us when we checked in then?’
K: ‘People don’t normally ask.’

At this stage I could tell my partner was becoming increasingly frustrated and so I interrupted to try and ask what the issue was. When in the room the receptionist started flicking the switches on and off and eventually the lighting came on.

Once in the room we found the bathroom dirty and having noted a ½ used bottle of men’s shower gel open on the sink indicating it hadn't been cleaned prior to our arrival, or if it had it wasn't to a satisfactory standard.

We both left the hotel very dissatisfied at both the customer service and the standard of the room. When paying in the region of £80 for a night’s stay in a three star hotel we would expect a standard higher than that we received during our stay at the Higher Trapp Country House Hotel; we would certainly expect lighting to work without needing instruction.

Following our visit, I followed up my complaint with Best Westerns customer service - voted top 10 contact centres apparently (!!). I was sent a reply straight back which said...

'This has been forwarded to the General Manager and that someone would contact me with a more ‘comprehensive response.’

7 weeks later I asked where the response was finally I received a reply admitting responsibility;

Cleanliness; ' I will be raising this problem with the housekeeping team at our weekly meeting.'

Lighting; ' I have made sure the issue has been reported to maintenance, and I will personally make sure that this problem is rectified by maintenance this week. '

Card payments; '...you are right in saying that it is not clear. I can only apologise for this and we have changed the confirmation letter to make the information clearer for future guests.'

Given the issues encountered during our stay (and that the hotel accepted full responsibility), I would have expected some kind of compensation or good will gesture. I don' think I will get anything but to be honest I am just happy with the knowledge I can steer clear in future!

Room Tip: Don't go for room 20 if you want lights!!
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank s1im_j
Maxine W, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Higher Trapp Country House Hotel, responded to this review, 14 June 2014
Whilst we normally respond positively to any criticisms, we feel on this occasion that this review is not a truthful representation of this guest’s experience. Particularly the account of the conversation with our receptionist, as this is certainly not the manner in which a member of our team would speak to a guest. Furthermore we responded directly this guest 5 days after receiving their original complaint. We are not sure why this guests believes it was 7 weeks.

Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2014

Just stayed overnight at this hotel and was very impressed. Surrounded by lovely countryside a real peaceful setting. My wife and I stayed on the 08/02/2014 on a room only basis ,though we did have the breakfast which was very nice . We were in room 18 this was a good sized room with sufficient storage space for the both of us. The double bed was very comfy and well presented and I had a good nights sleep. The bathroom was of reasonable size and nicely finished. The bar area was very relaxing, and just off it was a lounge with a TV and lovely leather furniture. All considered I would rate this stay as an 8/10 based on location price and comfort . Also a quick mention for the staff who were helpful friendly and efficient

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your review of our hotel. I am delighted you enjoyed your accommodation and the breakfast. It is lovely to read your review and thank you for you kind words about our staff. I hope you will stay with us again.

Oxford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2014

My wife and I always stay here when we have need to visit the area. The rooms are large and modern, especially where we stay in the Parker Lodge Annex (away from any wedding parties), the staff are welcoming and the meals generous. Well situated for the Pendle countryside and for Burnley town.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Best Western GB

Thank you for your lovely review. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay. We feel the Parker Lodge is the perfect location to enjoy a quiet break and I am pleased you agree! We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel soon.

Maxine Walsh
Also consider these accommodations in or near Burnley
BEST WESTERN Oaks Hotel & Leisure Club
Holiday Inn Express Burnley
Foxfields Country Hotel
Foxfields Country Hotel
#1 of 1 in Billington

Been to BEST WESTERN Higher Trapp Country House Hotel? Share your experiences!