“Pretty Ok for the money”

Hartwood Hall Hotel
Ranked #4 of 12 Chorley B&B and Inns
Reviewed 17 July 2013

Thought this was pretty OK for the money. Quite a spacious room for a single . Handy to be able to get food and drink at the pub. As no one had said I wanted breakfast, but I only wanted toast and coffee, they didn't charge, which I thought was decent off them. Decor a bit tired, but never mind. Only real complaint was the window barely opened and the waether was really hot.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business

Reviewed 3 July 2013

We stayed here for one night as a stop off on our way to Penrith to a christening. We chose the area as my partner had family that we were planning to visit whilst here.

The room was large enough, had a TV and ample bathroom however the windows didn't open very far and the room was stifling. The fan provided did absolutely nothing and to add to having to sleep on two single mattresses pushed together it didn't add to a great night's sleep.

However for £35 for the night I can't complain too much. It isn't somewhere to stay for extended periods, it is only suitable for a weekend at best.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 June 2013

My room was a single and as such of generous proportions. There was a well stocked tea tray and the room was well - equipped and comfortable. Booking in is in the pub where I received a warm and efficient welcome. The bed linen and towels were crisp and clean and the ensuite included a hot powerful shower although the cubicle was cramped. On the minus side décor and furniture looked a little tired and there is a fair bit of traffic noise from the busy road system nearby. I'm a light sleeper though and others might be fine. Just my luck to be next door to an Olypic standard snorer, who I thought at once stage was in the room such was the level of volume! Ear plugs helped deal with both the traffic noise and snoring. As I said overall good value for money and other rooms might have been quieter.

Room Tip: If you're approaching from M62 or Chorley side drive down to roundabout adjacent to hotel, go ri...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 27 April 2013

We booked the room at short notice at a very reasonable price (£39). We had a double king size bed. The room itself was clean and tidy but did smell a little musty. As mentioned on a previous review the heating wasn't very effective. TV had a very good selection of channels. The only criticism had was the shower cubical. It just had a shower curtain and allowed the water to escape and cover the bathroom floor with water. Apart from that, for the price I was charged, I had no complaints. However at their normal price against a premier inn it was a little tired and I would stay at a premier inn for the same price with no flooded bathroom.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 March 2013

We have eaten here a few times as its fairly local and had very mixed experiences.

The food is very good value, but should be edible, I have twice ordered a meal that contained a chicken breast and both times it was impossible to cut as it was so overcooked, sorry I mean over reheated.

Other pubs in the area offer similarly priced food but are really good and the food tastes fresh.

Its a real shame, but its unlikely we will visit again.

Room Tip: Avoid the chicken
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 March 2013

The hotel it self is not attached to the pub. The room I found to be very cold even with the radiator on max I beath warner than what it was letting out in heat. I changed rooms but no difference. So if you stay make sure you have a hot water bottle. You do have tea and coffee in your room as well as an iron/board.

Food in the pub was not too bad. Its a fair and square pub.

• Stayed: February 2013
Reviewed 28 January 2013

On Friday the 25th Jan. the M6 was under a blanket of snow , so I decided to turn off and find a Hotel for the night , and I chanced on this one . The reception was located at the restaurant and the lady there was very cheery and helpful , so far so good . The room was OK . (light not working in bathroom and a terrible humming noise all night long , but it was only for one night )Then I woke up and went to my car in the car park at about 8.00am , I got the car started and out of its park space but then it got stuck in snow in front of the Restaurant front doors , then the doors open and a member of staff came out to spread sand from a pail in front of the doors , he never even came to help me (5 yards away ) so I had to ask him for a spade , he grudgingly got me one , still I was having trouble (if only I good have a wee bit of sand from that bucket ) to get free , and still this guy who works for the hotel that I just spent money to stay the night would not budge an inch to help. So this hotel will not be seeing me again and only gets 2 stars because the room was only half decent .

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo