“Great Hen Do Venue”

Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Chorley
UK
“Great Hen Do Venue”
Reviewed 1 July 2014

I visited the hotel this weekend (28th June) as part of my hen do celebrations and I was pleasantly surprised. There were 7 of us who went and so we booked a quad and a triple room. I asked for them to be next to each other and they were. When we arrived check in was quick and the people on reception desk were very friendly and helpful. We were given a map and shown where our rooms were. My heart sank when I saw that they were in the village accommodation as I had read some pretty bad reviews on here. However we were all pleasantly surprised. We had 2 adjacent rooms (25 and 27). Ours was the triple with a double and a single bed and also a sofa with a pull out bed, the quad room had a double and 2 singles. The bathroom was massive and obviously quite new.

We socialised in our room before getting ready and heading over to the cabaret night (Robbie Williams, Olly Murs, Madonna and Lady GaGa tributes followed by a DJ). We were seated quickly and someone came to take our food orders. The menu sounded good and we were all excited for our food. You had to get your own drinks from the bar which was only small and very busy at times so it took a while, also the bar didn't acceot card payments which was a pain as one of our group didn't have any cash on them. The bar also seemed quite poorly stocked with not a massive range on offer but maybe that's just me being fussy about what I drink!

For started I had mushrooms in creamy sauce and they were delicious. For main I had chicken and sadly this was over cooked and very dry. I understand that cooking for such a large group can be hard but the chicken had obviously been kept warm for ages and so wasn't the best. Others in the group had salmon that they said was lovely and the vegetarian cheese tart also went down well, the beef wasn't the best again a bit dry but not the end of the world. For dessert I had the cheesecake and it was nice enough, nothing special but a decent cheesecake.

The entertainment was good, the tribute acts sounded like the people they were impersonating and were good at getting the crowd going. Sadly the DJ who followed wasn't up to much. He was very rude to one of our party when they requested a song. What's the point of a DJ if you can't request songs and they only play what they want?! He also wasn't the best at having banter with the crowd and getting them going which was a shame after the tribute acts.

Breakfast the nest morning was good although it was really busy and there were often hold ups where they ran out of things and you had to hang around for ages waiting. The advantage of busy means that the hot buffet food is always fresh. it was good and not greasy like some can be, the sausages were good quality and not cheap ones and the bacon was actually cooked and not a bit raw and rubbery like on some buffets. There was a good selection of cereals, pastries and fresh fruit too which is always good to see.

After checking out we took advantage of the leisure facilities and spent a couple of hours in the hot tub and pool. It was really lovely with a large adults only hot tub and a smaller one that kids could go in. There was a shallow pool for kids and a bigger one for people who wanted to swim. Had we had longer we would have visited the beauty salon for some treatments too. Before we left we sat outside and had a drink enjoying the sunshine. The bar menu looked good and they offer an afternoon tea for a very reasonable rate that had we known about before we might not have gone as crazy on breakfast so we could fit it in.

All in all a very enjoyable weekend. But be warned it was full of hen dos so maybe not the place for a peaceful family break when there is a party night on. There was also a wedding on and a rave happening somewhere nearby so I imagine for people wanting a peaceful weekend they would have been disturbed but it was great for us.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (194)
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 June 2014

I stayed one night on business and was upgraded to a room in the main hotel which was a pleasant and large room on the first floor.The site I booked through only offeed me a bungalow style room which I had booked but was happier as a woman travelling alone being in the main hotel. The bunalow style rooms I dont think I would have felt so safe in so I appreciated the upgrade.

The bedroom had been recently decorated but the bathroom was quite dated, the sink was cracked the fittings were old and didnt match the standard of the bedroom but was clean and tidy so no real complaints, especially for the money. I had a good nights sleep though no air con so the motorway could be heard at a low level when the window was open.

I used the leisure club for a swim/spa which was again undergoing improvements and you can see how the old and new are sitting side by side, nice welcome and the facilities were quite nice, not top notch quite dated, but you can see theres investment being made.
The same is true around the hotel, it was a theme hotel next to the now closed camelot theme park and really it would be better if the 'theme' signs etc in the courtyard were done away with and a clean slate started as most of the hotel has seen improvements I think.. theres no real need for the cartoon medaevil signage etc it just looks tacky
The breakfast was lovely served buffet style in the restaurant by friendly welcoming staff and the food was of high quality, nice coffee and toast brought to the table...
I will happily stay again if I am in the area due to the lovely staff I have given this a 4 star rating when overall I think its probably about a 3 but its improving in terms of the refurbishments so I felt it deserved higher as the service was so nice

Room Tip: ask for a room in the main hotel or make a point of requesting one when you book through a site if i...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Silverdale, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 June 2014 via mobile

Had a driving job this evening and was part of 300 kids from a school in Lancaster to the Park Hall hotel. Found it easily, plenty of parking and a pleasant place to sit and kill a few hours. Nothing planned for us there but a quick chat with the general manager and the banqueting manager who we bumped into in the forecourt saw a nice plate of sandwiches and a pot of tea arrive. Well looked after by John (no badge, but badged later ) and access to the wifi in the lobby made for a peaceful and pleasant evening. The staff we encountered (Beth) were both pleasant and responsive so no complaints. I can't vouch for the restaurant or the hotel as we didn't use it, but it can vouch happily for the hospitality (and I readers of my other reviews will know that a sandwich doesn't sway me!)

Liam

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Bolton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 June 2014

I recently stayed at the Park Hall Hotel in Chorley and was totally disgusted with the room and the level of service provided.

Firstly, our reason for staying was that my cousin was getting married there and we felt that staying over would mark the start of a lovely weekend. We knew that the hotel had a good reputation and we were looking forward to it.

The wedding was beautiful and, I must admit, the service was fantastic. However, when we returned to the room, we were very disappointed. There was a constant screaming noise that I can only describe as sounding like low pressure in the taps. I couldn't ignore it and it kept me awake.

Eventually, I contacted reception who told me that they didn't provide ear plugs but we would be moved rooms. Not ideal, but at least we moved somewhere quiet.

The bed was very hard and the pillows very uncomfortable (I appreciate that this is a matter of personal taste) and the room was boiling since there was no air conditioning. I achieved only a few hours' sleep.

Returning to our room, we showered but could only achieve a hard jet of water from the shower head. Also, the shower window leaked into a puddle on the bathroom floor.

When I complained on my way out, the Duty manager explained that he'd sent someone up in the morning and they couldn't hear anything. He also said that no one had complained previously and very clearly didn't believe me. I was refunded £20, but I did state that I still thought what I'd paid was too expensive for that room. I was told that that was cheap anywhere for a bed and breakfast and to write in if I still wasn't happy.

My Grandma was also staying at the hotel with my mum as her carer (she's in a wheelchair). She was placed in a room at the far side of the complex from where the wedding was held. Unfortunately, the short cuts were so damaged and destroyed that the wheelchair had to be pushed across the car park to get there.

Within the disabled room, the drop down bar that allowed my grandma to go to the toilet independently (something I believe everyone has the right to do!) had come away from the wall, meaning my mum had to accompany my grandma to the toilet whenever she needed it.

At breakfast, there was no disabled access to the breakfast buffet at all and therefore my grandma could not get her own breakfast,. She had to ask for what she wanted and my mum got it for her. Personally, I think it's disgusting that they haven't made adjustments for wheelchairs. Why shouldn't she be able to choose for herself what she wants?

We definitely will not be returning.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
8 Thank Jeanette4440

Travellers are raving about these Chorley hotels

Reviewed 22 June 2014

We stayed here for 1 night in the Cadbury's themed suite in the village complex. The children loved the suite, the entrance door is constructed to look like a giant bar of dairy milk, inside the twin room has Cadbury's headboards and other themed items. Bathroom has a large bath lit underneath with purple lighting and a separate shower cubicle. The main bedroom has a leather sofa and chair with a pull down bed. The accomadation is extremely spacious, the only thing stopping us giving a 5 was that the decor was starting to look a bit tired, I'm sure though that the owners will be on to this in their renovation programme which is well under way. Breakfast was plentiful with eggs cooked to order, full english, cereals, fruit and toast. We used the leisure pool twice, it was clean, warm and included a jacuzzi that the children could use. All of the staff were friendly and welcoming.

To sum up a great value hotel ( £72 for 4 people including breakfast and use of leisure facilities) that is undergoing modernisation. If you want a 5* room then pay 5* prices, if youre on more of a budget give The Park Hotel a try, the pool and breakfast are more than worth it!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Michelle G
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chorley
Days Inn Charnock Richard M6
Shaw Hill Hotel, Golf & Country Club
The Wrightington Hotel & Country Club
Hallmark Hotel Preston Leyland
Best Western Oaks Hotel & Leisure Club
Preston Marriott Hotel
Preston Marriott Hotel
#6 of 15 in Preston

Been to Best Western Park Hall Hotel & Leisure Club? Share your experiences!