“Anniversary dinner”

Ranked #31 of 208 Restaurants in Chorley
Price range: US$0 - US$48
Cuisines: British
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: Set within the idyllic surroundings of Shaw Hill Country Club, Vardons Restaurant at Shaw Hill Hotel serves classic European cuisine made using the finest locally sourced produce. Opulent yet relaxed, the Regency-style dining room features lavish drapes and elegant corniced ceilings. An array of rich and heady flavours includes venison carpaccio with roast beetroot, roast monkfish with Pernod sauce, or a succulent sirloin steak filled with creamy Roquefort.
Reviewed 21 February 2014

Lovely tasty food served by friendly fun people in very nice surroundings. Staff going out of their way to meet our requirements.

Reviewed 17 February 2014

Being a regular visitor to the area, (from the culinary hot spot of Germany - Baden Wuerttemburg)
I have sampled a number of restaurants in the area. Vardons restaurant is an outstanding exception. The freindly professional service, spacious layout and first class cuisine make this a regular venue with the family whenever the opportunity arises. If one had to be critical, then I'd say the colour scheme of the decor isn't what I'd choose - but that is a secondary issue and just a question of personal taste.

Reviewed 16 February 2014

My wife and I often have lunch at Vardons but today was extra special. There were new starters and main courses on the menu which were so good that delicious is just too weak a word. The restaurant is beautiful, the setting lovely and the service personal and delightfully unstuffy but the food today was dreamlike. It is always excellent but the new dishes (the grilled tuna steaks...mouth-watering) inventive and extra tasty. What astonishes me is the price which is so reasonable it beats inferior pub lunches with ease.

2  Thank Shaun T
Reviewed 16 February 2014

From the moment you go up the drive to the hotel and restaurant, you cannot fail to be impressed by the venue. For a birthday meal you could not have wished for better service or food. The food I had, duck terrine and a main of tuna with vegetables was cooked superbly. The maitre de and waiter were attentive and did not rush anything. The price considering the service and the little extras such as canapés and petit fours was amazing. Don't drive past this place, you are missing a treat.

Reviewed 3 February 2014 via mobile

We have been turned away from Shaw Hill Golf Club previously due to "inappropriate attire" would you believe... 3/4 trousers in summer... Not shorts! As our favourite place across from Shaw Hill was closed we decided to try here as it's very close to home and fancied a drink more than a drive.
The first impression was one of a dated room I'm afraid... It needs a bit of work, but you don't really go to a restaurant to look at the walls now do you!
We were greeted by Vicky (I'm terrible with names so may have this wrong, but she was the bar manager) and what a diamond she was!
Any impression that I had of the snobbery that Shaw Hill had portrayed previously by turning me and my money away in the past was diminished. She was approachable, extremely helpful, professional and concentrated on you as the customer.... Non of this looking-down-their-nose at you...
Our orders were taken and we were seated.
The food.... Outstanding! We had 2 courses which were very reasonably priced. Great presentation and the taste was spot on! My partner and I often try one another's dishes for taste comparison, and if I had to choose between the courses I would have struggled they were all excellent!
The floor staff could have done with pinning their smiles on but they were pleasant all the same and communicated well as you would expect from an establishment of this calibre.
If I hadn't have got over excited on the Remi XO my bill would have been reasonable, but I would like to thank Vicky (excuse the name if I have got it wrong), her personality is exactly what we needed to break our icy opinion before we even sat down.
Would we go again? Absolutely!