“Not worth the charge”

Shaw Hill Hotel, Golf & Country Club
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Chorley
Reviewed 28 January 2014

OMG this place is filthy dirty and obviously could do with employing cleaners. The rooms are tired but that is no excuse for disgusting cleanliness. Electrics quite frankly are a hazard. I cannot believe this place charges as much as it does. Will not be staying here again

Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank nabsteruk_uk
ShawHill, Front Office Manager at Shaw Hill Hotel, Golf & Country Club, responded to this reviewResponded 4 February 2014

Dear Guest,
As you can image we are also very upset with what you have discribed as a disgusting room. We are currently revamping the rooms and it would hlep me greatly to ascertian which room you stayed in. For three reasons - 1 to ensure that it is on our revamp programme. 2- the electrics? 3- Cleanliness.
I can only apologise that you did not mention this on checking into your room as I am sure the hotel receptionsit would have gladly changed the room for you. It is very oftern difficult to react to your request after the fact. I do trusst that you do get in touch so that i can reslove this for future guests. My email is joanne@shaw-hill.co.uk. Thank you and I await your response.

There are newer reviews for Shaw Hill Hotel, Golf & Country Club

Reviewed 26 January 2014

My party of 6 booked the New Year Ball and Accommodation for December 2013. (The cheaper package). What a great event. Staff were Friendly, Helpful anf Caring throughout the Hotel. Food was lovely and served quickly with a welcome pause in between courses. Disco was well attended and well utilised. Found it easy to make friends. The Residents Bar was most accommodating after the New Year Celebrations, where we made more friends. Accommodation was very comfortable, clean and everything worked. Would definitely book again. Ideal venue for all types of functions. Give it a go.

Room Tip: Don't be afraid to outline your requirements. The staff go out of their way to accommodate where...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 January 2014

just had a work reunion at the restaurant and the food was just average. Edible but definitely not memorable. The puddings were the best course. Don't think we will return even tho' the price was reasonable

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Guest,

I apologise that we did not meet your expectations whilst dining here. For me to understand what was wrong with the 'average meal' please could you explain how we went wrong? Could you tell me the date you came and the name of the party and what was ordered?. Once I have more specific details I will be able to comment further. I am however pleased you enjoyed the pudding. My email is joanne@shaw-hill.co.uk. I wait your response.

Reviewed 8 January 2014

My family and I visited Shaw Hill, (where I am a Leisure Club member) We had been here before, and were not disappointed on this occasion. Excellent service. Friendly yet efficient. Portions good and pudds lovely Think Shaw Hill is probably better when not under pressure (eg Christmas) but this is not unusual in restaurants. Have never had a poor meal here, but then have never visited at a known busy period.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Margaret H
Reviewed 8 January 2014

We really enjoyed our night here for the second time. We had the 4 course meal which for an event of this size was very good. Service quick and young staff clean and efficient. The disco was the best we have been to for some time, the floor was full all night. The party crackers and hats etc very good quality. Very good value for the money. We stayed overnight and thought maybe some updating of main hotel room needed and also mattress in annex room needs changing! However the breakfast room is so nice and breakfast choice excellent. Early morning breakfast staff very cheery.

Room Tip: Annex for us although only one couple slept in main hotel this year
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 December 2013

On Friday 20th Dec, I was taken by my daughter and grand daughter for afternoon tea.
We were the only people in the room, which was just off the reception area. The room was cold, and my feet were freezing the whole time we were there. We were seated at a small table, which had qiute a nice view of the gardens.
There were three of us for afternoon tea, we were given 3 triangle sandwiches each, which were tiny. The selection was, ham. cheese, prawns. That was it. The cakes were of poor quality. Three tiny scones, three sliices of sponge cake, and three tiny meringues. Cream and jam.
Tea selections were excellent.

In the room was a television, this was on all the time we were there. I do not want to listen to music from the television whilst trying to make conversation.

The staff were absolutely excellent.

Only for the fact that I had been taken to Shaw Hill as a Christmas treat with my family, I would have said something at the time, but of course I did not want to embarress my family.
I definately will not recommend this place to anyone .

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank SwintonLancs
Reviewed 12 December 2013

Shaw Hill golf & country club is always worth a visit its nice to meet up with friends for a chat and afternoon tea,its great to have a meal in vardens restarant and even better have a couple of games of golf and stayover !The Sunday drivers are excellent value for money the course is lovely and the staff are always very nice.

Room Tip: Stayed in most of the rooms over the years all have been good
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chorley
Best Western Park Hall Hotel & Leisure Club
#6 of 15 in Preston
Barton Grange Hotel
Barton Grange Hotel
#5 of 15 in Preston

Been to Shaw Hill Hotel, Golf & Country Club? Share your experiences!