“golf break”

Shaw Hill Hotel, Golf & Country Club
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Chorley
Reviewed 9 June 2014

Went for the weekend golf break a group of us. Excellent even the weather was ok ( no hail storms which were forcasted). The golf course was good even though some complained but that was due to the golfer not the course.
The hotel itself was good, the bedrooms were fine. The restaurant was great and the food was good. Breakfast was excellent. The staff at the hotel were friendly and helpful.
We didnt use the spa facilities as we were all a bit hung over on the Sunday morning.
We would all go again.

There are newer reviews for Shaw Hill Hotel, Golf & Country Club

Reviewed 6 June 2014

At £73 for B&B free parking and wifi I feel I received value for money. Golf Course looked interesting but I'm a Links man myself! On business and had a lot to do so didn't get a chance to use the leisure facilities but looked clean and well staffed. Got a nice spacious well lit room called "Royal Troon" where I could sit and work in comfort. Went down for an evening meal and decided to eat in the informal surroundings of the Golf Club Bar - 2 courses and 2 pints for under £20 and the chicken curry was fantastic. Special mention to the cheery waiter who had to bring my food quite a distance from the restaurant kitchen - sure he could have seen me far enough but he never let on! As much as the evening meal was great the breakfast was poor. Excellent cold buffet selection and the waitress was doing her best but it was clear the kitchen was struggling and when my scrambled egg finally appeared it was evident just by looking at it it wasn't worth the wait. In summary I've paid a lot more and had a lot worse and it wouldn't take a lot to lift this hotel to an excellent rating in my book. I'll be back.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 June 2014

Overall, we had a great time at Shaw Hill. Our only criticisms of the hotel was a malfunctioning shower in one of the rooms (and we were immediately offered another room), and a somewhat repetitive menu. However, the food itself was of a high standard (the breakfasts were cooked to order and excellent!) and the staff were extremely pleasant, friendly and helpful throughout the hotel. The golf course was in great condition, interesting and not too busy. All in all, a very enjoyable stay!

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the golf course.
Reviewed 2 June 2014

My friend and I booked an overnight spa break via living social. We had a lovely relaxing time. On arrival we were greeted by the pleasant receptionist who said we had been upgraded to a suite. Afternoon tea was served in the lounge overlooking the golf course. Our room was really nice. Yes it is dated and in need of modernisation but what we couldn't fault was the cleanliness of the hotel. We made the mistake if dining at Truffles bistro over the road - food average restaurant dirty - and wish we had dined at the hotel. Full English breakfast the next day was really good. We got to use the spa facilities after checking out too. Again very clean if a little dated. What really stood out here were the staff. Every member of staff we encountered was so polite, professional and friendly. We felt very relaxed after our stay. Would definitely stay again and would have dinner in the hotel next time. Thank you for a great time.

Room Tip: Room 2 is really nice.
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Cannot find fault with the golf course, well maintained and laid out, mature and challenging course.

The hotel room which we were allocated (booked 12 months ago) was clean but that's the only good point. Both windows looked out onto high brick walls with no views whatsoever. In the bathroom the shower was dreadful and literally flooded the bathroom each time it was used. There was no way that this could have been avoided, (believe me we tried), causing the floor to be very dangerous. We also had to ask for more shower gel, soap, shampoo and towels as none were left.(Stayed two nights / 3days).

The service in the bar when ordering snacks etc., was very slow. When you are going out to play golf for a few hours and want a quick sandwich or snack, you haven't got time to be pressing the bell and waiting 10 minutes for someone to take your order then another 20 minutes for it to arrive.

Couldn't fault the food in the restaurant which was delicious,hot and served quickly each evening.

As far as I'm concerned the hotel's best asset was the receptionist called "Jan" who was a delight.
Jan was pleasant without being condescending, informative, helpful, with a good sense of humour and totally sells the hotel. She dealt with our problems in a pleasant and very efficient manner. If you have an employer of the year - she deserves it hands down.

We were a group of 14 ladies playing golf for the three days so to be fair the small problems my friend and I who were sharing had, seem insignificant for hard to please ladies. (Hahaha)

Room Tip: Definitely pay the extra and go for a corner suite.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 May 2014

We stayed here for two nights in May 2014 as our friends were getting married nearby. We paid £60 a night B&B which was really good value all things considered. The room itself was spacious and clean with a super comfy bed. The bathroom was fine - typical three star - with an overbath shower.

This is going to sound strange but the gloomy ceilings in the rooms really let the place down. Think suspended ceilings with stained square office tiles. God knows what was hiding behind there but I bet it wasn't good news. Pipework? Wiring? Asbestos?

Despite the ugly ceilings, the room was fine. Tea and coffee making facilities, flat screen TV, iron and ironing board. No complaints there.

The hotel's biggest selling point is it's golf course and grounds. It also has a well equipped gym and a nice little swimming pool. There are saunas in the respective changing rooms for men and women.

There is also a nice bar, full size snooker table and a large conference/events wing. The former mansion is obviously a popular wedding venue.

The food was reasonably priced too and of a good standard. The breakfast was probably the best part of our stay. Although the cereal and fruit selection was fairly limited, the cooking breakfast (to order from the menu) was cooked to perfection. I wish more hotels prepared cooked breakfasts to order...

All in all, we had a pleasant stay and for £60 a night it was great value for money. We were staying in one of the standard rooms. We saw some of the deluxe rooms on the way to breakfast one morning. If you can get one of these for a little bit more, go for it! They still had the office ceiling tiles however!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 May 2014

The golf course looks impressive (though I know nothing about golf!) and the building itself is attractive, but the rooms and food leave a lot to be desired.

We visited for a business meeting and a few of my colleagues stayed. Although clean the rooms were stuffy (windows painted shut) and outdated with odd layouts. One of my colleagues was in a very peculiar room with two doubles and a single bed, cracked window panes and a ceiling made from those vile textured tiles that you'd associate with an old school hall or nasty leisure centre, whilst the other had a smarter room that seemed more pleasant but still outdated.

The real let down was the food. The menu was not bad and I chose to go for a roast, a choice of three meats or a combination, so I requested turkey and beef. What arrived was a tasteless gravy filled plate with two slices of preformed meat and three roast potatoes. Preformed meat! A Toby Carvery or similar would at least offer proper slices of real meat. The potatoes seemed to have been pre-roasted some days before and then popped into a deep fat fryer on the night. They were thick, tasteless, chewy and tough - yuck. No sign of a Yorkshire pudding, though a small, microwaved, slimy circle of stuffing did sit atop the 'meat' offering - I didn't eat it. Additionally a tiny sausage (that tasted vile - icelands no frills range?) wrapped in fatty bacon that hadn't been given the time or attention to go crispy.

My colleagues meals were no better and where possible consisted of something pre-formed, such as the chicken in the warm chicken and black pudding salad, which myself and my colleague had, except she had no black pudding with hers. I wasn't around for breakfast but apparently this too was poor and left everyone with dodgy guts the next day.

My biggest tip: if you have to stay here, go across the road and eat at Truffles - it is better by a country mile

Room Tip: Ask for one with windows that open!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chorley
Best Western Park Hall Hotel & Leisure Club
#6 of 15 in Preston
Barton Grange Hotel
Barton Grange Hotel
#4 of 15 in Preston

Been to Shaw Hill Hotel, Golf & Country Club? Share your experiences!