“" I felt like a lady "”

Shaw Hill Hotel, Golf & Country Club
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Chorley
Reviewed 1 September 2014

I wanted to treat 101yr old Grandma to a cup of tea on my Birthday. I approached The Pines hotel on Friday29th Aug, who were most unhelpful ( see my review) I telephoned Shaw Hill at 2pm & we arrived for afternoon tea at 3pm. The afternoon tea was very enjoyable Grandma later told one of her carers that she had been waited on like a lady ! I enquired about future visits & was told we could pop in any time for tea & cake. Thank you Shaw Hill for an excellent afternoon.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Janet M

Reviewed 23 August 2014

Although I thought the staff were so friendly and from the outside the place looked great, I was so disappointed with the standard of rooms. The room we were given was like a cheap B&B. Small cold and very depressing. The food also didn't live up to my expectations. The first breakfast was with poached haddock and full English. The second day was a rather poor buffet without any luxury at all. As for the bar food it was not nice at all. I ordered a curry with was more like a very poor sweet and sour, and was obviously just microwaved. For such a nice looking place I expected far more than we got. Especially as it wasn't that cheap either.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank David G
Reviewed 21 August 2014

We were invited to an evening wedding reception here and it looked quite promising upon arrival. We initially passed through a room with a bar so naturally assumed that was our option for purchasing drinks. It was very crowded and it seemed to be a free for all with other non wedding people. We wandered outside with our drinks onto the terrace which was very pleasant, then we joined some friends in a sort of ante room. Someone had not paid attention to the cobwebs on the ceiling in here. We were then informed that the main reception area was ready and as we followed others into this room we passed another bar which was obviously intended for the use of wedding guests. Why had no one told us ie the barman in the first room? It would have saved us being jostled about by a group of blokes who I think had booked a meal in the restaurant.
Bacon and sausage barmcakes with chips were served later in the evening and I have to say that although I have no problem with the idea,they were not the best I've ever had.The chips were lukewarm too. I enjoyed the party but Shaw Hill need to up their game.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 August 2014

Having spent the weekend at Shaw Hill, I would highly recommend the hotel. Excellent food, excellent service and every member of staff was polite and always eager to help.
Just 2 ways that could areas that could be improved-a plug socket near to a mirror and if there is to be some investment, upgrade the doors to a card system.
We were guests at a wedding and the arrangements were faultless, and the food and service was fantastic so well done Shaw Hill

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 August 2014

We happened upon Shaw Hill when we were unable to find a room in The Travel Lodges along the M6 --so glad they were fully booked ! Really lovely hotel if you are prepared to venture a few miles off the motorway .The room we had was huge and slept 5 (Turnberry Suite) and overlooked the golf course and grounds .The food was lovely and great value .Significant added attraction is the attached Spa with a great swimming pool .By the time you have factored in buying breakfast with a travel lodge or similar our room midweek was not that much more and included a full English Breakfast in the hotels lovely dining room The hotel staff were friendly and efficient .So good we have already booked in again for our next trip down the M6

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 August 2014

shaw hill is a lovely place to have a meal good food and a lovely place relaxing and the service is always good the food is fresh and attention to detail is also very good
we tend to go for lunch and just sit in the lounge area and have coffee afterwards which is relaxing lovely décor
want good food the place to go

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 August 2014

We stayed in The St Andrews Suite for my birthday, it was lovely, with views over the golf course! The staff were friendly and very helpful, afternoon tea was delicious as was our evening meal, I cannot fault the stay, it was a lovely present from my husband, and a much needed break.

Stayed: August 2014
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chorley
Best Western Park Hall Hotel & Leisure Club
Preston Marriott Hotel
Hallmark Hotel Preston Leyland
Stanley House Hotel & Spa
Mercure Blackburn Dunkenhalgh Hotel & Spa
Astley Bank Hotel
Astley Bank Hotel
#2 of 4 in Darwen

Been to Shaw Hill Hotel, Golf & Country Club? Share your experiences!