“On the whole very nice but our room let down.”

Mercure Blackburn Dunkenhalgh Hotel & Spa
Merseyside, United Kingdom
“On the whole very nice but our room let down.”
Reviewed 19 December 2013

We were staying the night here as we were attending one of the party nights for Christmas. We were in room 75 which was down past the bar. There was a door which you went through and then up some steps where there was a corridor with 3 rooms along here. As soon as you went through the door to this corridor it looked like you were entering a two star hotel! The carpet was worn and stained and with holes at the top of the steps! Along the corridor there was a large bag with dirty laundry which had obviously been filled when the rooms had been changed round but no one had been back to collect this and it was still there when we went to bed that night after the party night was finished at about 1am or so! There were also glasses with the remnants of red wine in them and a empty bottle of wine and empty bottle of Jack Daniels on like a shelf, these also remainded there. We went into our room and it was freezing, the heating was not on, we eventually managed to get the radiators to work and it warmed up. The furniture was bashed about and looked tired. The double bed if you can call it this was obviously two single beds pushed together as there were material headboards attached to the wall where obviously normally the two beds were. Also the mattresses did not meet properly, one was about an inch higher than the other and one was much softer than the other. Back to the headboards they looked dirty and one was falling down on the one side! There was a nice big flat screen tv and plenty of tea and coffee and for once in a hotel room enough milk! The bathroom was ok but we think we know that our room had been the one with the red wine in it because on the back of the door there was red wine stains! I do not know if these rooms are used regularly or only when they are extremely busy. I know that we had a special rate as we were attending a party night and it had been booked as party of the company booking along with a few other rooms. But when you saw the rest of the hotel this looked 4 star but this small corridor felt it was on the to do list!

We did use the pool and sauna and jacquizzi but it has to be said that it felt very cold in the pool area and so we didnt stay long as in December you would expect they would make sure it was warm enough to be in a swimming costume walking around. The changing rooms were well equipped although again little things like a tissue holder with no tissues and the other broken off the wall but left on the top again with no tissues. If they are not going to replenish them then dont bother putting them there in the first place. My locker key would not work but I had already got changed before I realised this and was not going to go back along the corridors to the reception/bar area in my swim suit to get another key! So I just left my stuff in the changing room. It was nice that towels were supplied and I liked the swim suit drying thing. The hairdryers were very good, like salon quality.

The main bar was very nice and then we went through to the pendle suite for the party night. We had a very enjoyable meal and the service was very quick. The staff were very efficient and helpful during the evening bearing in mind the number of people. The disco was very good and played a variety of music which made for a good party.

We had stayed on room only basis and we did actually get a good nights sleep. Check out was not until 12 noon which was nice when you dont get to bed till late!

I would say that had we been in one of the standard rooms not what felt like somewhere that was used on emergency basis only then I would of highly praised it but if I had been expected to pay the normal price and got this room I would definately of been putting in a complaint. As it was as I say it was through the company and at a discount price for the party night and we were only staying over because of the distance we would have had to travel otherwise.

Wish I had taken my camera or something to take photos to show the dirty laundry and empty bottles and glasses and stained and ripped carpet on the corridor but I hadnt!

Room Tip: Dont get one of the 3 past the bar! Oh and also there is the coach house rooms which are outside fr...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
h6617_dm, General Manager at Mercure Blackburn Dunkenhalgh Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 21 December 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for providing feedback. It is really disappointing to hear that the housekeeping was not up to the correct standard one would expect and there were issues with the room. Please allow me to express my sincere apologies for the failings experienced. We are working hard to update and modernise some of the more traditionally decorated areas of the hotel.

I was pleased to hear that the event that you attended met with expectations. It is a really hectic time of the year and it's great to hear that the events are well liked. Thank you for your comments; I hope that we can better look after your bedroom requirements int he future.

Ivan Lynch

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (293)
  • Polish first
Reviewed 18 December 2013

Spent few days here after wedding. Was a treat from relative. And wow what a treat it was. Although it was abit of a maze to get from one end to another and need of modernisation, the rooms was really good, and very quite. Size of the room was just right and spacious. Lovely gardens outside and very relaxing.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
h6617_dm, General Manager at Mercure Blackburn Dunkenhalgh Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 19 December 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for your comments. I hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.
Kind regards
Boston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 December 2013

Having known the hotel for many years, I was expecting something special, what a disappointment. I had booked to stay for 5 nights, oh dear!
The hotel is past its best and needs some work doing to it. The room was in one of the annexes which can't be that old. On opening the door, we were hit by a strange but strong smell, which never left the room. It may have been the drains but not sure. It wasn't foul, just not pleasant.
There was the usual items, drink making facilities, tea, coffee (1 pack of biscuits for two of us, a bit tight I think) etc. hair dryer, trouser press, free toiletries etc. There was a reasonable size flat screen TV, plenty of wardrobe space. The bathroom was pleasant, but had to run the hot tap for a good few minutes before hot water came, but only after complaining that there was no hot water and then being informed to run the tap longer.
I must admit the room was spotlessly clean, so full credit to the cleaning staff. The bed was very comfortable.
I have to say, the staff could learn from the Georgian house in Blackrod, where the staff are always cheerful and appear to be enjoying their job, not so at the Dunkenhalgh, efficient but lacking the friendly smile, which costs nothing, and a nice sight for a weary traveller.
Again £10 for breakfast is ok if you want the full Monty, but if like me you only want cereal and toast, then very expensive, that's why I mark it as poor; why can't Mercure hotels give an option of continental breakfast at half the price.

Room Tip: The annex rooms give you more privacy, but some are near to the smoking point so when there are part...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Dear Guest
Thank you for your feedback. I will take your comments on board and address any concerns raised.
Abergavenny, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 December 2013

A fantastic hotel with helpful staff. The main building is a bit of a maze, with corridors going up and down stairs. The rooms are spacious and overall quiet. A small niggle is that I had a window that faced inwards, however as I was out of the room at first light and didn't return until it was dark this wasn't much of a problem. The restaurant was excellent with a good selection of well cook food.
Free WiFi access appear to be a good idea, however due to the age of the building and the thick walls connection was not good. Best access was in the bar downstair, reception was similar for my mobile phone as well. If you are here for a break this could be considered a bonus.
On balance well worth visiting.

Room Tip: Try to get a room facing out over the grounds.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
h6617_dm, General Manager at Mercure Blackburn Dunkenhalgh Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 18 December 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for providing feedback. Your comments are appreciated. I hope that we may welcome you back to the hotel in the future
Taipei, Taiwan
Reviewed 9 December 2013

Old 17th century hotel. Furnishings not that old but seemed dated. Receptionist sent me in the wrong direction for my room and walked through the maze everywhere, outdoors, through the pub and restaurant, dragging suitcase up the wrong stairs, etc. Exhausting, I abandoned my luggage in a hallway and went back to the lobby. The reception guided me, albeit with lots of confusion, to the correct wing and room. Had a room upstairs and had to drag heavy luggage up the stairs, no elevators. Gym in the basement was excellent but also caters to a local membership so very busy in the morning. No Internet in the rooms, must go to pub or unheated lobby area for free but slow and unreliable Wifi.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
h6617_dm, General Manager at Mercure Blackburn Dunkenhalgh Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 10 December 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for providing us with feedback. Your comments are appreciated. I will review them with our management team
Ivan Lynch
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clayton-le-Moors
Stanley House Hotel & Spa
Best Western Higher Trapp Country House Hotel
Northcote Hotel
Northcote Hotel
#1 of 3 in Langho

Been to Mercure Blackburn Dunkenhalgh Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!