“Xmas dinner” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mercure Blackburn Dunkenhalgh Hotel & Spa

Mercure Blackburn Dunkenhalgh Hotel & Spa
“Xmas dinner”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 December 2013

First time I've been, went for christmas dinner with the family, food portions are too small, not what you expect for a christmas dinner. Room was very hot, staff didnt seem bothered while serving. Entertainment didn't even come to our table. For what you pay you expect alot more very disappointed first and last time I will be going there

• Stayed December 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
h6617_dm, General Manager at Mercure Blackburn Dunkenhalgh Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 4 January 2014
Dear Guest
I am sorry that you felt the meal was not value for money. If you would like to discuss this with me further, please contact me directly at the hotel and I will address your comments in person.
Ivan Lynch

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (284)
  • Polish first
Rochdale
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 December 2013

Me and my family know the Dunkenhalgh as a great Hotel, Restaurant, function rooms and spa. We have stayed several times and even celebrated my parents ruby Anniversary a few years ago which was everything we wanted it to be.

We've all had a crazy busy December so we decided to go for a 2 night stay on 27th & 28th December as a family. We booked 4 rooms which were £220 each which included 2 x 25minute treatments in the spa.

I stayed in a room by myself and was offered no single supplement being single occupancy. That's fine I had no problem with that, however that should have meant that if I was paying the same then I should be entitled to the 2 x 25 minute treatments in the spa for myself. Not the case! I was told that because I had been given a discount on my room I was only entitled to one treatment! Erm, there was no discount on my room! After several conversations with the hotel reception and the spa it was agreed I was entitled to 2 x 25 minute treatments, however because it was single occupancy my allowance in the spa was only £65 and not £70 like the other rooms had got. I wasn't arguing over £5 but still can't work out how that was worked out.

The Spa in itself needs some work to it, the pool is cold and the jacuzzi as cold which meant we couldn't use it, and to be fair no one was actually using it. We were told by spa members in the changing room that only 1 of 4 boilers is working and has been the case for a good few weeks. The same members told us the coffee machine in the spas cafe has been defective for 13 weeks, hence we ended up with rubbish luke warm coffee that tasted stewed! One of the spa members actually said 'This place is falling to bits'. Not what I wanted to hear

After the spa we went to the bar and ordered some sandwiches and soft drinks. We waited almost half an hour for 2 lots of sandwiches, which for 2 sandwiches is unacceptable. Other guests were waiting longer as they complained at the bar! Very very slow service, and 2 sandwiches, one portion of chips and 2 coke's the bill came to £23:05.... Rip off!

On the first night I had pre arranged and pre paid for canapés to be served in my room at 6:30pm an hour before our booked table in the restaurant, for my family to enjoy and I'd also brought a couple of bottles of fizz to go with them. I had asked for 2 ice buckets to be delivered to my room at 6pm, I had asked specifically for 6pm so that I could chill down the champagne. After 2 more phone calls to reception the ice buckets eventually arrived at 6:20pm. The canapés I'd ordered for 6:30pm also arrived late and were delivered to my parents room, which then spoiled the surprise. I had specifically asked for them to be delivered to my room! By the way the hoisin duck wrap which was one of the canapés was a deep fried spring roll! That, I found quite funny!

In the restaurant on the first night we were handed a plastic wine list which had a very limited, over priced range on, starting from around £30 a bottle. It didn't include champagne, so when I questioned this, another wine list appeared with cheaper wines on it! Very strange to offer 2 wine lists, clearly the first one was the one they wanted us to order from.
The food has deteriorated at The Dunkenhalgh, a lot of this food must now be pre prepared / bought in? The salmon mousse that was served with the £17 rubber halibut was inedible, it really was like chewing on a sponge. The burger meat was also like rubber and clearly a frozen burger and not freshly prepared. Service was slow, we constantly had to ask for drinks, and with only 3 tables sat in a big restaurant, maybe we are seeing why there was only 3 tables booked! Our bill came to £305 for 7 people, which isn't cheap considering we had a very sub standard meal, again very over priced for what we got.

I decided to order breakfast room service the morning after, however there wasn't a pen in the room to complete my breakfast door card, so I had to go to reception to get one, and when you are staying in the executive wing, it's some walk to get back to reception. I asked the other rooms for a pen but it was the same, no pen! Notepads but no pens!

The following morning according to reception there had been a fault with the boiler which meant we all had to shower in cold water as there simply wasn't any hot water! It will be fixed soon was all we were told.

The rest of my family who went for breakfast found when they all got back to their rooms, their key cards wouldn't work anymore, so they all had to go back to reception to get them re-activated. No one could explain the fault, we were just given apologies. It got on my nerves when it happened the same on the second morning. Again we had to go all the way back to reception to get re-activated. Another problem not being addressed?

We ate out on the second night and had a much more enjoyable meal, we didn't use the hotel facilities again after day one. We did all go for breakfast though on the day of departure, there was a queue of people waiting for the breakfast buffet to be replenished, the beans seemed to take forever to be replenished, no one was managing the buffet area, black pudding was hard, and we had to ask for glasses for juice.

Altogether a real drop in standards for this hotel, we were all really looking forward to a leisurely, relaxing stay. I pushed my family to all get away for a few nights and that the Dunkenhalgh would be ideal. It was far from that and that's a real shame, if it was just a couple of issues I wouldn't care to review but with all the above complaints we had, we didn't really feel like anyone cared and that's why in future we'll choose elsewhere for our family occasions.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank nathanoj
Dear Guest
I am sorry that your experience did not meet with expectations. Please allow me to express my sincere apologies. There are certain things that need to be improved in relation to the feedback you have given. There are lessons to be learned. I am sorry that the service you were afforded was not as we would all hope. I will be addressing your comments with the team and ensuring that actions are in place to prevent future disappointment
Ivan Lynch

Travellers are raving about these Clayton-le-Moors hotels

ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 December 2013

I would have rated this stay as good but not very good although my husband said the sauna was one fo the best he has been in but you have to go across a small courtyard to get to the spa.Check in was quick but our executive room (£25 extra per night) was quite a hike from the reception and with there being only one trolley meant at least three trips to the car and back as someone else had snagged the trolley first.
The room was a good size with a separate bath and shower(which was very good) and although there was a large sliding wardrobe there was only one very small drawer in the dressing table. The room also had a nespresso machine, a mini bar (we were not told this was included in the upgrade) and tea making facilities.which we did not use and one of the expresso cups had not been washed but within half an hour the cup was replaced.
The food on the package was good and we throughly enjoyed the entertainment and dancing but other guests we talked to said it was the same as last year which would kind of put
you off going every year.
So overall a good experiance with just a couple of niggles!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. Your comments are appreciated. The Christmas entertainment was the same on one of the nights, purely because of the feedback from guests who stay each year. We will look at different options maybe for next year
Sawley, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2013

We booked a Day Spa as a 40th Birthday Treat for sister in law and along with my daughter and niece we set off for our 11am start .....

We choose the Dunkenhalgh as they where the only Spa in the North West who would let an under 14 year old use the amenities (pool) whilst we used the Thermal Suite - WHICH WAS GREAT ! The staff in the Spa where lovely, very knowledgeable and friendly, however, that was as good as it got ....

Freezing cold treatment rooms, Pool very cold (too cold for my daughter to swim in), a few regulars told us it had been cold for a few days and they had complained ! Cold changing rooms, Thermal Suite lovely but tired and a little dated, only one shower worked - looking at previous comments on Trip Advisor this had been mentioned in July !!!! Treatments ok but nothing special ....

Lunch was in the Spa Lounge Bar but this was FREEZING with a gale blowing through .... Staff in the bar where miserable and literally threw our food at us, food orders where wrong, coffee machine had broken and we where offered luke warm coffee out of a flask - however at this point decided to pack up and go after two and a half hours ...

We did complain and are awaiting a phone call from the Spa Manager .....

VERY DISAPPOINTING .... I remember when the Spa opened and was excited to be spending a relaxing day there - however, what we did get was a cold couple of hours, miserable staff, mediocre treatments and to top it all - at a cost of over £200 !

Would definitely not recommend .....

1 Thank AmandaO803
Dear Guest
Thank you for providing us with feedback
I was disappointed to hear that there were problems with the day. Please contact our Spa Manager if he hasn't already spoken with you.
Preston, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2013

My first visit here, welcomed from the moment me & my friend arrived, Andrew on reception looked after us, we were early, not a problem to him, he sorted the luggage, made sure we had the twin room we requested and booked our dinner while we went to make the most of the facilities (Pool, sauna, steam room and a treatment to relax) and relaxing it was. Couldn't fault our stay in any way, we will be returning again soon.

Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to tell me about your recent stay. I was delighted to hear that you had an enjoyable visit. I very much look forward to welcoming you back in the future
Burnley
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 December 2013

My first visit to the Dunkenhalgh for a Christmas Dinner but wouldnt go again. Food was only satisfactory, portions were small, service slow and the room was too hot.
Trying to get a drink from the bar before the meal was hard work if not impossible. In fact I gave up.

Dear Guest
Thank you for providing us with feedback. I am sorry that your experience did not fully meet with expectations. Please allow me to express my sincere apologies. I wil share your feedback with the team and aim to make appropriate changes to improve matters moving forward
Ivan Lynvch
Malmesbury, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2013

Upgraded from a room with two single beds to a room in the main building in order that I could receive wifi, we were moved to a room with a double bed this was quickly rectified when I pointed out that I didn't think my 16 year old son would be very keen to share a bed.

Stayed for two (Sat, Sun) the weekend breakfast experience reminded me of an all inclusive holiday I once had in Tunisia with long queues of people - other budget hotels serve a far superior breakfast that is freshly cooked and served.

The spa is in dire need of a refurbishment and the staff need to attend a customer service course, either that or change career! I was handed a threadbare towel (I wouldn't have used it on my dog) and told that I'd have to pay a £5 deposit for the bathrobe (initially I wasn't even offered this choice, I spoke to a lady using the pool and she told me). I paid over £300 for my stay I can afford to purchase my own bathrobe thank you very much! The swimming pool wasn't clean there were stains on the ceiling tiles and the showers were filthy with mildew growing on the sealant and grouting. I can honestly say that I felt dirtier when I came out than before I went in.

No cushions on the loungers, no spare towels, no slippers, no toiletries, no magazines - this is not a spa it's only slightly better thank a council run leisure centre (I retract that statement I've visited leisure centres that were immaculately clean).

I suggest that the hotel senior management team put some thought into the type of customer they are trying to attract and the expectations they may have.....

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Annette G
h6617_dm, General Manager at Mercure Blackburn Dunkenhalgh Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 27 December 2013
Dear Guest
I am very sorry that you felt the experience you had with us in September did not meet with expectations. It does seem odd that you wait until the end of December to report this. However I am confident that any issues arising from your feedback have long since been addressed.
Ivan Lynch
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clayton-le-Moors
Stanley House Hotel & Spa
Preston Marriott Hotel
Preston Marriott Hotel
#6 of 15 in Preston
BEST WESTERN Oaks Hotel & Leisure Club

Been to Mercure Blackburn Dunkenhalgh Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!