“"Take sandwiches"”

Mercure Blackburn Dunkenhalgh Hotel & Spa
kent, England
“"Take sandwiches"”
Reviewed 8 September 2008

Not a Hotel to arrive at if your tired or hungry. Long drawn out check in, I lost count of the times i had to give them my credit card for a one night stay. No dinner available as we arrived at 9.15 although plenty of tables. Managed to get bar snack took forever and was cold. Room had a hole in the wall and the bed was like concrete.Had to leave early so had breakfast in room, I was told to tick everything from the coninental breakfast,I couldnt have hot food at 7.30 on sunday morning... when it arrived all they had given me was two soggy slices of toast and a mini Babybel!!! I guess nobody from the hotel had ever seen a continental breakfast. Checked out had to show credit card again!!! Just could not be bothered to complain I was losing the will to live at this stage. Awful...

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — The concrete bed
  • Stayed July 2007
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (293)
  • Polish first
Surrey, UK
Reviewed 28 August 2008

This is a lovely hotel, in a not very salubrious area, so you will likely want to stay within its environs. The hotel, rooms and all facilities were first class, and the vast majority of staff could not do enough for us- they were lovely. However, it only takes one bad apple as they say, and first impressions do count, so pray you don't encounter the receptionist we encountered on arrival. First, we had the temerity to arrive before official check in time- we had had a five hour journey, so it was difficult to arrive exactly on time(.".sigh.....well the rooms aren't ready etc etc" )We went to the bar for lunch and returned later. Same receptionist ("You'll have to pay for the room now" )Had been told we'd already paid on booking("No you haven;t") OK, we'll check that later- here's my debit card(we don't allow credit facilities with a debit card) What does that mean("It means I;ll have to restrict your account and you'll have to pay cash for anything you use or purchase in the hotel)" I don't think so- my cash is usually good enough for hotels considerably better than this- exactly how difficult can you make it for your customers- we could go elsewhere, particularly as you say we haven't paid. (."..sigh...we will want a credit card") Well, you can't have one- its a debit card or nothing, and I expect to be able to charge items against it or we won't be staying.(."..sigh.......oh very well"-said with VERY bad grace) This gave a most unfortunate start to a stay that would otherwise have been most pleasant. Fortunately ALL the other staff, without exception were lovely.
MORAL FOR MANAGEMENT- for a four star hotel, don't employ two star staff.

• Liked — Spa and room comfort
  • Disliked — The first receptionist- might mean we don't re-book on our next trip to the area-we are regular visitors
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank sisgb
Northants UK
Reviewed 13 August 2008

Its a long time since I stayed in a UK hotel, but I have to say I found this quite good. I assume as its French owned that the staff are better trained, as they where very helpful and polite.
Rooms are good, food is good, gym etc is OK to Good, grounds are nice.
No complaints.

• Liked — Most of it, in fact perhaps all of it.
  • Disliked — Very little, not woth mentioning.
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled on business
Oxford
Reviewed 6 August 2008

I stayed at the Dunkenhalgh at the end of July for a work diiner.

I was over 1 hour late arriving at the Hotel, sue to be being delayed at Wigan Train Station for over 45 Minutes.

'When I arrived at the Hotel I was told I wasn't booked in! But this was quickly resovled & a room was found for me.

Check In was quick & easy. No problems there, except I wasn't offered luggage assistance, & I was a lone female traveller who was running late! Would of been nice to be showed to my room.

I was told at Check In that the Drinks Reception started at 6.30PM & I arrived at 6.10PM!!! They didn't offer to warn the group I was with that I was running late and I would down once I had showered & changed! Luckly I made it down in time!

When I checked in, I was told about how the lights worked, but the fob on my keys wasn't large enough. So the lights stayed on, itf I stood the held the fob in place! Not very practical!!!

Dinner its self was lovely. I don't eat fish & the starter was Crab, the Hotel were very accomadtiong & changed my starter to a Melon Salad. This was very nice, just what I needed after a hard day working & travelling in the heat!

After Dinner, before heading back to mt room, I spoke to Recepption about my lights & they got me a bigger fob, which did stay in place.

After I had got back to my room, I discovered there was no Room-Service Breakfast Card. So, I had to walk all the way back down to Reception to get one, as there was no obvious way of ringing Reception!

Breakfast was lovely, if delivered a little early. Asked for between 8.30AM & 8.45AM. Arrived at 8.25. Luckly I was awake!

Check Out was very quick & simple. Reception even managed to ring the taxi company & they got them to come earlier than booked for.

All in all, a good stay & would definately stay there again, when not on business & can make use of the Spa & the gorunds. It must be a lovely Wedding venue, shame I live 3 1/2hrs away...by train!!!

• Liked — The Dinner & where we had our Drinks Reception
  • Disliked — The Lights not working, no Luggage Assistance & no Room Service Breakfast card
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled on business
UK
Reviewed 21 July 2008

My partner and I stayed at this hotel during a busy July weekend and paid £80 for the night. We arrived at the hotel to be informed by a rather curt receptionist that she would struggle to find us a room as the online agency we booked through had only requested a single. She then seemed unaware that we had pre-paid and had to debit then credit our card.
We were pointed in the direction of a courtyard room, which was a distance from the hotel and looked dilapidated from the outside. The stairs leading up to it were dark and the paper on the walls was peeling- hardly a good first impression. The room itself was not bad; old-fashioned and a bit shabby with some peeling paint and mould in the bathroom. One of the windows would not fasten, which did not fill us with confidence about leaving our things there, especially as the room backed away from the main hotel area. On returning later in the evening, however, we were glad to be away from the main hotel, as the noise from a celebration was extremely loud, even at 1am!
When we checked out in the morning, my partner complained about the disparity between the star rating, website images and and the reality of the rooms. To give them their due, the receptionist apologised and gave a partial refund, but I would not return to this hotel.

• Stayed July 2008
    • Check-in / front desk

Travellers are raving about these Clayton-le-Moors hotels

belfast
Reviewed 8 July 2008

The website for this hotel implies a grander hotel than it turns out to be. Essentially a functions and business hotel, it can fall somewhat short of the four star status applied to it. At first glance it is a splendid 700 year old building, through which one enters and is dealt with at reception. Like many old building ‘new’ wings have been added on where most of the bedrooms are. In the case of this hotel the Executive Rooms are in such a wing.

However, in order to reach these rooms from reception one has to negotiate corridors, pass through a functions bar, then a cold functions lobby and then pass through doors outside onto a covered verandah walkway which is completely open to the elements on one side. Dashing along this when it was raining is hardly what you expect in a four star hotel.

The Executive Rooms are a good size with excellent bathrooms featuring decent length baths, separate power shower, and good thick towels. Usual bottles of body and hair lotions. Minor gripe: tiny cake of soap. One needs to search in the wardrobe for the towelling robes and slippers. The kettle and tea/coffee equipment is hidden in a cupboard under the television. The television has a limited range of channels but seems to have excellent reception and picture quality. It is worth asking for a room overlooking the parkland. Mine had an excellent view of the fields and next morning there were real live cows contentedly munching close by me!

The picture of the restaurant featured on the website bears no resemblance whatsoever to the restaurant in use. Perhaps once it did feature a fine dining experience with table cloths, candles and napery as shown in the picture. Now it is just plain tables and chairs, all very close together and not so much as a place mat or anything. Cutlery is simply placed direct onto the table tops. This is no place to eat and have a confidential business discussion.

Despite this, the food turned out to be better than expected. Like so many hotels today the place seemed staffed by a handful of ‘seasoned staff’ and teenagers or college kids. The level of service therefore varies a bit but I think it would be fair to say on the whole it is acceptable. Some were quite cheery and efficient. Others need a little more training. The restaurant gets very busy and the bar area beside it can become quite full. It would be advisable to book a table if planning to dine in of an evening. One dish which is excellent is the poached haddock with soft boiled egg on top which features on the breakfast menu. If the hotel is busy with overnight guests the breakfast service can be a bit slow but the staff seem cheery and manage to get coffee (which seems to vary in strength) quickly if you need it to kick start the day.

As with the executive rooms, the Spa is in a separate building. The pool looks a good size but can become busy as this is one of those spas open to outside membership as well as hotel residents. There is an excellent set of steam rooms, saunas and a well equipped gymnasium. Towels and a locker key are provided. Be warned. It is a bit of a trek from the Executive Rooms to this spa and back again which in itself is good exercise!

I am not sure I would wish to stay if the hotel was full, or had a conference or noisy function going full blast. I suspect rooms close to the function areas could be noisy. It is worth noting the executive rooms are a bit of a walk to get to but seem to be well away from the main function suites. In fairness to the hotel it does seem to be the largest in the surrounding area and is probably the only one which can cope with large functions and weddings. Individual guests might suffer a little if several functions were all on at once. With a little fine tuning of the service staff and greater attention to detail this would be an excellent hotel.

Would I return? Definitely. But I would try to ensure the hotel was not too busy and I could be tucked away in the Execute Rooms section again.

• Liked — Decent sized executivev bedroom with separate shower
  • Disliked — Exposure to the elements getting from the executive rooms to the main block
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled on business
Sussex
Reviewed 27 June 2008

Large car park, friendly reception staff. Printed two route maps for us.Hotel is large and signage to rooms confusing. No assistance offered with luggage. Executive room comfortable for three nights, windows opened. No bathrobes, bathroom good, had to ask for more soap/shower gel/shampoo, provided quickly. Hospitality tray pitifully short of items. TV choice poor, few channels. Clean throughout. Good light meals in bar and conference facilities excellent. Dining room lacks good table settings but food well presented but not terribly imaginative apart from excellent starter. Good service. Disagree with the one rosette awarded for food. Breakfast (in room) excellent. On time, good choice and unlike some hotels everything ordered was there! Room was at end of a wing so very quiet, this may not be so with functions and with large functions rooms I imagine hotel could be crowded and noisy, although no expererience of that. I agree with 4 star rating and it is good value for money, although I would expect more form the restaurant for dinner at £27.50. Bill wrong but corrected immediately. Would stay again.

• Stayed June 2008, travelled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clayton-le-Moors
Stanley House Hotel & Spa
Best Western Higher Trapp Country House Hotel
Northcote Hotel
Northcote Hotel
#1 of 3 in Langho

Been to Mercure Blackburn Dunkenhalgh Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!