“One night weekend stay”

Mercure Blackburn Dunkenhalgh Hotel & Spa
Reviewed 7 April 2014

We stayed at this hotel for one night on Saturday. We were promptly checked in by very friendly staff. Our room was clean and quite large. On our way to the room, we saw some of the various sized function rooms, which were set up and they looked great. We noticed the detailed original ceilings in some of the rooms were stunning. After a good nights sleep, breakfast was good, plenty of choice, and the bacon, eggs and other hot foods were always being topped up. Although we did not make use of all the facilities at the hotel (there is also a spa there), we would definitely return for another visit. All the staff we encountered were friendly and efficient. Its obviously a well run hotel.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Louise N
h6617_dm, General Manager at Mercure Blackburn Dunkenhalgh Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2014

Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. Your comments are appreciated and I very much hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the future

There are newer reviews for Mercure Blackburn Dunkenhalgh Hotel & Spa

Reviewed 6 April 2014

The hotel itself is lovely, our room was large and bright, located in the courtyard outside the main building which was fine. The staff were all lovely and attentive. The spa was excellent, you must try the steam rooms and ice bath. We were privided with towels, robes and slippers. The treatments, I had a manicure which spoiled as the varnish wouldn't set, so I'd insist on gels if you can. I had to remove mine the next day. Freinds had massages that they say were excellent. But it was too busy with nowhere to relax around the pool as all the loungers were taken and they couldn't offer us a bistro lunch. Our buffet lunch was not worth the money with only 2 options for main and a cheap gateaux for dessert so I cant't recommend that. Evening meal was ok but not restaurant standard, we had to beg for bread and butter. Breakfast was excellent. Overall go midweek maybe? and don't book the buffet lunch.

Room Tip: ask for non smoking as ours was a smoking room which we didn't like
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Guest
Thank you for providing feedback. I was disappointed to hear that you were not completely satisfied with your experience. Please allow me to express my sincere apologies. I will share your comments with the team and make any required improvements. In hope that you may return in the future
Kind regards

Reviewed 4 April 2014

We recently spent a weekend at the Dunkenhalgh hotel and spa We went to a dinner dance weekend for Daniel O' Donnell and the weekend was simply the best. Staff rooms and entertainment were spot on we had use of the spa facilities if we wanted them. The grounds of the hotel are beautiful and there is ample car parking we really enjoyed our stay the only downside was the bar prices are really expensive and the bar snacks were expensive as well also we could not get wi fi in our room although it was available in the bar area

Room Tip: Ask for one with wi fi
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
h6617_dm, General Manager at Mercure Blackburn Dunkenhalgh Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 8 April 2014

Dear Guest
Thank you for your feedback. Your comments are appreciated. I am pleased that you enjoyed your weekend. I hope to welcome you back again in the future.

Reviewed 31 March 2014

This is a perfect place to stay with a family,it offers everything you could possibly want. The bedroom was very spacious with a large tv very comfortable beds and a very well equipped bathroom.the restaurant offers a wide variety of very tasty food and the breakfast buffet was delicious,you could,nt ask for more.to top all this off the pool and leisure facilities were the best I have seen in a long time.if I had to pick one thing about our stay was the high prices at the bar we ordered one pint one glass of wine and two j2o,s costing just under £18.00 needless to say we only had one!!!but on the whole I would definatley be returning and recommend it to everyone.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
h6617_dm, General Manager at Mercure Blackburn Dunkenhalgh Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 1 April 2014

Dear Guest
Thank you for providing feedback. Your comments are appreciated. I will share them with the team. I hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future

Reviewed 26 March 2014

We just came back from our weekend break at Mercure, we had a great time, spa is nice, swimming pool is warm, bedrooms are good size with amazing views, hotel is a real relaxing destination. Staff here are amazing, Bartender was very attentive and always offered table service, he was very knowledgeable. Breakfast was amazing too, Breakfast supervisor from Tunisia was always busy but that never stopped him from talking to us and make us feel welcomed.The hotel itself is almost one thousand years old and caries lots of history: portrait room, oak room etc. Receptionists all very friendly too, offered to recommend us an outside restaurant and informed us about thinks to see around.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
h6617_dm, General Manager at Mercure Blackburn Dunkenhalgh Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2014

Dear Guest
Thank you for providing feedback. I was delighted to hear that you were well looked after during your time with us. I will share your comments with the team. I hope to be able to welcome you back to the hotel in the future

Reviewed 25 March 2014

I was lucky enough to attend a fundraising event on Sunday at The Dunkenhalgh. The event was a Ladies Lunch and about 270 ladies there. The three course meal was superb!!! well done everyone in the kitchen-believe they have a new chef. To cater for so many and get it right is something which doesn't often happen. The young staff serving were also brilliant. The only niggle not enough staff or systems at the bar for so many people-sorry to nit pick. I organise Ladies Lunch for another charity and would consider coming here next time.
Ii must mention Jason and his Mum and family-they have set up Inbetweenears and they are just INSPIRATIONAL and I would like to wish them all the best.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
h6617_dm, General Manager at Mercure Blackburn Dunkenhalgh Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 26 March 2014

Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback in relation to your recent experience of Mercure Blackburn Dunkenhalgh Hotel & Spa. I was delighted to hear that the event was successful and that you enjoyed your day with us.

I accept that the bar was very busy on arrival and a the waiting time was longer than we would ideally have liked. It is difficult to mange the number of people all hitting the bar at the same time. We will look to improve this in the future. I was pleased to hear that the service of the team was good and that you thoroughly enjoyed the meal.

If you would like to know any more details in regards to hosting an event at the hotel, please contact Karen Gettins in our sales office, who will be pleased to assist.

KInd regards

Reviewed 24 March 2014

My friend and I booked a 'Time for Me' spa day package for Sunday 23 March and wow what a perfect day. Cost £50 which included full use of the spa and fitness facilities, robe and slippers, one treatment and lunch. We arrived just after 10am and didn't leave until 4.30pm so a great value relaxing treat of a day for two busy mums.

On arrival we were shown around by Anne who made a real effort to make sure we got from the day what we wanted and we received a very personal and attentive service. A table was ready for us for lunch, complete with lemon water and cushions on our seat - little touch but really nice.

We used all the facilities in the order suggested by Anne, gym, pool, thermal suite (laconium sauna, bio sauna, normal sauna, steam room and finally the aromatherapy steam room) making use of the cool showers and ice rub inbetween each. We followed this with a shower, yes there was short wait for a shower as two were out of order but it was lovely and warm and everyone was so friendly i soon got chatting and it didn't spoil my day at all - I was in no rush. After a nice shower I dried my hair and put on my robe and slippers to go for lunch - so amaxing to sit eat in my robe and slippers - we chose the Bento boxes which i loved but might not be to everyones taste and a pot of tea. We had two hours then until our booked treatments - this is were the tranquility room comes in.....a lovely calming dimly lit room full of candles, comfy reclining chairs with cushions and blankets to relax in and listen to the soothing music. There were magazines, fresh fruit and water available all free of charge. There were a few people in when we arrived and they were chatting quietly to each other so I settled down to read my kindle, one by one the others left for treatments and me and my friend were alone. Next thing I remember is being woken up over an hour later by my friend to tell me it was nearly time for my massage. I couldn't believe it - I never would have believed I could have fallen asleep in a strange room in the middle of the afternoon with people in and out. The whole experience obviously worked on me. I went wanting peace and quiet and some relaxation and tried hard to make sure I unwound and got a lot from it.

Suzanne gave me a back, neck and shoulder massage and was so friendly, professional and knowledgable. Yes she spoke to me through the treatment but I had just had a good kip so needed to come to or I wouldn't have been able to drive home lol. The massage worked out all the kinks and knots in my back and really loosened me up. Suzanne spoke about what areas she was working and how the massage helped to release toxins and gave excellent after care advice to ensure I got the best from the treatment.

I noticed a few bad reviews on here before we went so felt compelled to put my own on so others don't give the place a miss. Some people will always find fault and like to look for things to moan about. Me and my friend went wanting to make the most of the place and were open and asertive and asked for advice on what order to do things and how to get the best from our day. The staff were only too happy to advise us and really wanted to help us have a fantastic day.

Overall I thought it was good value for money, the spa and particularly the thermal suite facilities are excellent and the staff lovely and helpful. Would definatley go back.

Dear Guest
Thank you for providing feedback. Your comments are appreciated. I will share them with the team and we will aim to ensure all our guests are looked after in a similar fashion. Thank you for your comments. I hope that you will come back again in the future
Ivan Lynch

Also consider these accommodations in or near Clayton-le-Moors
Foxfields Country Hotel
#3 of 3 in Clayton-le-Moors
Best Western Higher Trapp Country House Hotel
Best Western Oaks Hotel & Leisure Club
Best Western Ribble Valley Langho Mytton Fold Hotel & Golf

Been to Mercure Blackburn Dunkenhalgh Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!