Mercure Blackburn Dunkenhalgh Hotel & Spa
Reviewed 21 April 2014

Me and my wife only spent 1 night here, but on arrival we were taken back by the sheer look and view of the hotel.
We were greeted by the reception staff and made to feel very welcome. The arrival brief was very informative and was not rushed in the least which made us feel very comfortable.
On arrival to our room we were more than pleasantly suprised with the size and layout of the room it had all we needed for a very quite comfortable nights stay.
We venture into the bar that evening and although busy the bar staff were more than informative as to the history of the hotel and its prior owners.
I was pleased to see that the hotel had on departure some handouts (Free) on the history of the hotel.
On departure the reception staff were very helpful and hoped that we had a pleasant stay (we did) At no stage did we feel rushed into checking out and that just made the stay for us.
I will be visiting again in the very near future as we have friends and relatives in this area.
Thank you so much for a wonderful stay and amazing cooked breakfast.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
h6617_dm, General Manager at Mercure Blackburn Dunkenhalgh Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2014

Dear Guest
Many thanks for your king review. I was delighted to hear that you had a pleasant stay and very much look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future

Reviewed 14 April 2014

Lovely hotel, great food, stunning room! But enough about my last visit in the 1990's!!!!!

The price should have been a warning! Just £59 for the night

A nice welcome on arrival but once in the room it looked tired with very dated furniture.
The food was very bland. With the lovely sounding sliders just 3 burgers dumped on dry buns with little salad.

It was however peaceful and still set in stunning grounds

Wifi is free.......probably because it doesn't work in the rooms
But unusually the rooms had SKY!

Check out was a challenge with staff at best Luke warm

Can't argue with price but not the quality hotel I remember

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Curtis H
h6617_dm, General Manager at Mercure Blackburn Dunkenhalgh Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 15 April 2014

Dear Guest
Thank you for providing feedback. I am sorry that your experience was not to your expectations. Please allow me to express my apologies. I will share your feedback with the team. We are continually reveiwing the service that we provide. Please rest assured that improvements will be made where required

Reviewed 9 April 2014

My dad sent me and my mum to the Dunkenhalgh for the above as part of my mum's 60th birthday present. We had kept it very quiet as to where she was going and had bookedher treatment's without her knowles. The package consisted of a choice of two 25 minutes treatments (back massage, facial, manicure, pedicaure, or a leg treatment), full use of all facilities and a cream tea lunch - all for £59pp via SpaSeekers.

We have visited previously, but it's a while ago now. The place is lovely to look at with ample parking. Upon arrival at just after 10am, we were greeted by a friendly member of staff who was expecting us and had everything ready - robes, towels and slippers. After a tour, confirming treatment times and cream tea time, we were left to out own devices.

First stop - the gym. It's not very big, but has enough equipment and is separated into different areas which is pleasant.

After working up a sweat, it was time to relax. The pool is lovely with a whirlpool area which is automatically controlled. The thermal suite was very relaxing with the laconicum, rock sauna, bio sauna, steam room and aroma grotto. Our only gripe was that the aroma grotto smelt strongly of damp, which I don't think it's meant to smell of! Ice fountains and feature showers were just outside the saunas etc....

Out first treatments were booked for 2.15pm, each of us having a back massage, which was amazing and really got rid of the knots in my back.

Afternoon tea was served at 3pm which consisted of scones with jam and cream, fruit cake and chocolate cake, together with tea or coffee, served with a shortbread biscuit.

Our second treatments were at 4.30pm. I had a manicure, mum had a facial. For £5 extra you can choose a colour and take the remainder of the polish with you. As I was going away a couple of days later, I opted for this in case a touch up was required. My manicure laster the majority of my week's holiday with minimal touch ups needed. Very impressed. Mum ejoyed her facial, but it seems that the therapist chatted throughout. In between treatments and afternoon tea, we relaxed in the spa's relaxation room.

All in all, the day was fantastic and very good value for money. The service received cannot be faulted, nor can the manner of staff. Other users of the facilities were extremely friendly and I have decided that when I retire(!) I will become a member and spend every day there, as it appears many people do this.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
h6617_dm, General Manager at Mercure Blackburn Dunkenhalgh Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2014

Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. Your comments are appreciated. I hope that you will return again in the future.

Reviewed 7 April 2014

We only spent one night here, but it was worthwhile and we would love to go back. The hotel is quite large, picturesque, and set in its own grounds. The evening meal was excellent, well cooked, very well presented and plentiful. I wanted decaf coffee afterwards and it was soon on the table. Breakfast was buffet style; there was loads of choice and it was delicious. The staff were only too happy to help with any requests we had like extra toast/tea/coffee etc.
We were in room 72, which was quite a hike from reception for two ladies of a certain age with dodgy knees, but it was well worth it. The room is large with a huge bed, armchairs, bed settee and a jacuzzi bath - just what we needed after a long day - and overlooks the front of the hotel.
Next time you're Blackburn way, try this hotel - you won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: If you can't manage the stairs easily, try to avoid room 72.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
h6617_dm, General Manager at Mercure Blackburn Dunkenhalgh Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2014

Dear Guest
Thank you for providing feedback. I was delighted to hear that you had enjoyed your stay. I hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the future

Reviewed 7 April 2014

We stayed at this hotel for one night on Saturday. We were promptly checked in by very friendly staff. Our room was clean and quite large. On our way to the room, we saw some of the various sized function rooms, which were set up and they looked great. We noticed the detailed original ceilings in some of the rooms were stunning. After a good nights sleep, breakfast was good, plenty of choice, and the bacon, eggs and other hot foods were always being topped up. Although we did not make use of all the facilities at the hotel (there is also a spa there), we would definitely return for another visit. All the staff we encountered were friendly and efficient. Its obviously a well run hotel.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Louise N

Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. Your comments are appreciated and I very much hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the future

Reviewed 6 April 2014

The hotel itself is lovely, our room was large and bright, located in the courtyard outside the main building which was fine. The staff were all lovely and attentive. The spa was excellent, you must try the steam rooms and ice bath. We were privided with towels, robes and slippers. The treatments, I had a manicure which spoiled as the varnish wouldn't set, so I'd insist on gels if you can. I had to remove mine the next day. Freinds had massages that they say were excellent. But it was too busy with nowhere to relax around the pool as all the loungers were taken and they couldn't offer us a bistro lunch. Our buffet lunch was not worth the money with only 2 options for main and a cheap gateaux for dessert so I cant't recommend that. Evening meal was ok but not restaurant standard, we had to beg for bread and butter. Breakfast was excellent. Overall go midweek maybe? and don't book the buffet lunch.

Room Tip: ask for non smoking as ours was a smoking room which we didn't like
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Guest
Thank you for providing feedback. I was disappointed to hear that you were not completely satisfied with your experience. Please allow me to express my sincere apologies. I will share your comments with the team and make any required improvements. In hope that you may return in the future
Kind regards

Reviewed 4 April 2014

We recently spent a weekend at the Dunkenhalgh hotel and spa We went to a dinner dance weekend for Daniel O' Donnell and the weekend was simply the best. Staff rooms and entertainment were spot on we had use of the spa facilities if we wanted them. The grounds of the hotel are beautiful and there is ample car parking we really enjoyed our stay the only downside was the bar prices are really expensive and the bar snacks were expensive as well also we could not get wi fi in our room although it was available in the bar area

Room Tip: Ask for one with wi fi
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
h6617_dm, General Manager at Mercure Blackburn Dunkenhalgh Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 8 April 2014

Dear Guest
Thank you for your feedback. Your comments are appreciated. I am pleased that you enjoyed your weekend. I hope to welcome you back again in the future.
Ivan Lynch

Also consider these accommodations in or near Clayton-le-Moors
Foxfields Country Hotel
Best Western Higher Trapp Country House Hotel
Best Western Mytton Fold Hotel & Golf Club
Best Western Oaks Hotel & Leisure Club
Stanley House Hotel & Spa

Been to Mercure Blackburn Dunkenhalgh Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!