“Great Building Great Location Great Staff”

Mercure Blackburn Dunkenhalgh Hotel & Spa
Worcester, United Kingdom
“Great Building Great Location Great Staff”
Reviewed 16 May 2014

Driving to the hotel you are anticipating a good night's accommodation, there is a coat of arms above your head as you walk through to reception on the red carpet. You are warmly and professionally welcomed check-in is painless and quick.

The rooms are well maintained and clean, my colleague even had a dear outside his room in the morning. Food in the restaurant was good and despite being extremely busy the service was excellent and friendly.

The gym is well equipped and the ground are immaculate.

Special mention for Andrew in reception and Donna who served us so well both for dinner and breakfast you were exceptional, keep up the good work.

If I need to stay in the area again I will definitely be back.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
h6617_dm, General Manager at Mercure Blackburn Dunkenhalgh Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 21 May 2014
Dear Guest
Many thanks for your feedback. I will share your comments with Andrew and Donna in particular. I hope to welcome you back in the near future
Ivan Lynch

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (302)
  • Polish first
Morecambe, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 May 2014

i have stayed here before on business and never rated the food.
This hotel was a mile from where we lived but as we have now uprooted to Morecambe and we were back for a family do we decided to stay here for the night.
I asked prior about the size of beds as my husband has a disability with his shoulder a double bed is not big enough. We have a super king at home. How anyone gets a good nights sleep in an ordinary double I don't know.
We were informed that we had been put in a room with a larger bed.
On arrival we were told that the hotel had no larger beds and they were not sure why we had been told that.
The end result was that we were in a room with 2 singles together. No problem but one had a topper and was higher than the other and the quilt was a exact fit across the bed. When two people were in it it would have been totally inadequate. i rang reception and someone came round he went away to find a solution. We decided between us if he brought 2 single quilts we would manage. They did this and it was solved !!!
Everyone we encountered staff wise offered a very friendly and helpful service.
We did not eat there as we were attending a family do. We did have breakfast and it was good buffet style and again friendly service.
There is a spa that we did not use and there are lovely grounds around the hotel.
Drinks are very expensive and I know from attending other functions here in the past that you will be in for an expensive night if you like a drink.
The ribble valley, Accrington, Blackburn (though why you would want to go there) are all on the doorstep as is the m65.
Rishton its self has 3 to 4 pubs Indian and french restaurant.
All in all a pleasant stay.

Room Tip: Our room 55 was very quiet
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank jaxw
h6617_dm, General Manager at Mercure Blackburn Dunkenhalgh Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 14 May 2014
Dear Guest
Thank you for sharing feedback. I hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the future
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 May 2014

Myself and three friends booked a spa break a couple of months ago and were contacted one week before the break to say there was a double booking so they could not accommodate us. We contacted the Dunkenhaigh and they couldn't have been more helpful, we booked in for a two day spa break which included meals, use of the spa facilities and a treatment which was actually cheaper than our original choice. The hotel is lovely, the spa facilities and food excellent. We were in a courtyard room which was quite small but adequate for the time spent in the room. There was a good choice of treatments using decile or products and the therapists were very friendly and knowledgable about the products. All the staff we encountered were extremely helpful and pleasant Ann in the spa area was particularly helpful, remembered our names which made the visit a very personal experience.

Room Tip: We were in the courtyard rooms which could be a problem if raining as it is a short walk to the spa...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
h6617_dm, General Manager at Mercure Blackburn Dunkenhalgh Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to post feedback. Your comments are appreciated. I will definately share them with the team and hope that they inspire or dedicated staff to continue to provide service of this nature
Farnborough
Reviewed 5 May 2014

Just back after a 2 night stay here, I haven't read all the reviews but a few others would echo my experience... arrive, excellent reception welcome ( somehow walking down a red carpet into the building always puts a smile on my face) ..V quick and a efficient. Room was OK, as others have written, looking a little tired maybe, 3 bed room was actually a sofa bed for the toddler, it "did" - however, I would NOT have been happy to have slept on that myself, the mattress requires replacement, 100%! as she doesn't weigh much, I didn't grumble and she slept fine. In contrast - the mattress on the beds were spot on, very good.

ALL staff we encountered were helpful, polite and professional .. great job.

This hotel is very popular with weddings, location and space is perfect for it... great photo oppo's and the aforementioned staff being among some .. however, for the other guests this can present a bit of a problem, I walked through the middle of two receptions being held during our Fri / Sat night stay, which felt odd! the issue for me was when the staying wedding guests went to bed and woke us all up, more than a few times! ... it's someone's special day, so forgiven ..... but, worthy of a mention.

Restaurant was OK, my Lamb was lovely, well cooked, my wifes steak a little over, the LO Mac n Cheese - Excellent... all very well presented. However, I would say when we sat down (19:15) they were at 15% capacity, we didn't order a starter and had but one desert (3 scoop ice cream) .. we left at 21:00! (with a toddler) .. could have been faster! Breakfast was better.
Though, sorry to grumble here too ..... My wife ordered poached eggs, and she got a pan poached egg ... all on it's own, in the middle of the plate! Surely it should come with something? anything!? No? .. Again, to counter that - the buffet was great, Fresh Pastries, Fruits, Yogurts, Cereals, Breads etc ...Cooked food too, though I couldn't get a fired egg from the "oil bath" it kept slipping off!

We used the pool once, was excellent, lovely greeting, towels provided, pool is as warm as a bath and has a large jacuzzi one end...Nice, would like to have used more facilities.

Food and Restaurant bought my rating down to Very Good (service)

In my opinion, trying very hard to be 4*, some rough edges ...
We'd stay again and probably will!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
h6617_dm, General Manager at Mercure Blackburn Dunkenhalgh Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 6 May 2014
Dear Guest
Thank you for providing feedback. I will follow up your comments with the senior team and take remedial action where necessary
I do hope to welcome you back in the future
Dundee, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 May 2014

Stayed at this hotel on Saturday26th April for the above mentioned function. The view on arrival was stunning and booking in was fast and pleasant. Room was ok but looking a little tired.
Bar Service was excellent and the service during and after the meal was top notch. The Meal was quite superb and enjoyed the whole evening.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. Your comments are appreciated. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel if you are returning to the area
Reviewed 3 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed 4 nights for business. Food was expensive £38 for room service steak chips and an ice cream with £5 tray charge. Room spacious bath and deprecate shower. Sky sports in room. Spa is excellent numerous saunas and steam room I would recommend using the big sauna. Staff were really friendly even though the cleaning staff broke my iphone charger the hotel replaced. Free wifi available as well. I don't really have any faults with the hotel think it is good but not very good. Would return privately with the family.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback. I would like to point out however that the prices stated are inaccurate. Our most expensive steak, is priced at £22.95, which includes your choice of sauce and chunky chips. A selcetion of ice creams or sorbets is priced at £3.95. I do not think these prices are overly excessive. A room charge is standard practice across the industry. If you believe you have been over-charged, please contact me directly and I will look in to it.

I am pleased that you enjoyed many aspects of your stay.

Ivan Lynch
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clayton-le-Moors
Stanley House Hotel & Spa
Northcote Hotel
Northcote Hotel
#1 of 3 in Langho
Best Western Higher Trapp Country House Hotel

Been to Mercure Blackburn Dunkenhalgh Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!