“spa break”

Mercure Blackburn Dunkenhalgh Hotel & Spa
“spa break”
Reviewed 9 June 2014

Nice place but £9.50 for a 250ml glass or merlot!!! what a rip off, had the spa weekend and had to ask three times for the free spa gift with the package. In all not the best package would not recomend. Stay all over uk and europe in hotels as is my job at best 5 out of ten. Dont go there,.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
h6617_dm, General Manager at Mercure Blackburn Dunkenhalgh Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 12 June 2014
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. I was sorry to hear that your experience did not fully meet with your expectations. Please allow me to express my sincere apologies. I will review your comments with the team and remedy any areas that can be addressed. Yours sincerely
Ivan Lynch

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (291)
  • Polish first
Reviewed 9 June 2014

We stayed here after a wedding in the area. 2 adults and 2 children. The building itself is quite impressive- looked clean and generally well kept.

The room was very spacious and clean- ideal. The bed was incredibly comfortable and the children also slept well. Late check out is available.
In the morning, we took advantage of the swimming pool. This wasn't bad but the showers and changing area are desperately in need of a clean and upgrade. I actually wanted to take the children back to the room to shower. I noticed there was a spa there and if I was to judge from the pool facilities would avoid!

Overall the stay was good and would stay in the hotel again if needed.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to post feedback. I was pleased to hear that in general your comments were very positive about the hotel. I am sorry that you felt the pool changing facilities were not good enough. I will review with our Spa Manager and make improvements where necessary
Reviewed 9 June 2014 via mobile

I booked a day in the spa with a hot stone massage for my partner and I as a birthday treat! I booked well in advance an requested the massages be together (same time same room) as my partner has never been before and we thought it would be nice. This was confirmed and we was set to go. On arrival we was informed that one of the lady's was of sick and we would have to go in separate which was ok as this couldn't be helped. We was then given our appointment times first one In half an hour, at about 1pm and the other 45 minutes after. This meant we could not go to the gym together as planned, half an hour to get changed have a sufficient work out get changed again and go for the hot stones Is not enough time. As a result of this I had to hang around in reception whilst my partner went to the gym. When I arrived for my massage no one was there, I was left hanging around for another 15mins when the lady arrived I was told I couldn't have a hot stone massage as the stone's weren't hot and it would make her late for other appointments in the day. After a further 10mins we agreed to use the stone's at the temperature they were (slightly warm) my massage was cut short and I was rushed out to find my partner wondering around unsure of where he should be as no one was there to greet him when he arrived 20minutes earlier. When eventually we were reunited he had enjoyed his massage and we went for a swim but as the pool was so cold we had a quick steam and headed for home. Lovely place!! But don't go if someone is off sick :)

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
h6617_dm, General Manager at Mercure Blackburn Dunkenhalgh Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 10 June 2014
Dear Guest
Thank you for your feedback. I apologise for the disappointment experienced back in December. I am sorry that your experience was not a more positive one. I will look in to the circumstances of your visit and follow up with our Spa team
Yours sincerely
Reviewed 3 June 2014

My partner and I stayed here for a spa weekend.

Without realising it, part of the deal was to be in the Executive wing. A nice spacious clean room, with a lovely big bathroom including double shower and separate bath tub.

This deal included afternoon tea, a spa treatment, dinner and breakfast.

Afternoon tea was lovely, although it wasnt quite clear what we were supposed to do to get it. No staff were around when we arrived at the restaurant, although once established the server was lovely and so were the cakes.

Spa again was very nice, friendly staff and great thermal rooms. Unusual for children to be in the pool on spa weekends? Maybe the hotel should reconsider that policy.

Dinner and breakfast both beautiful and great value for money. All staff very lovely , and the setting was great. The room was so peaceful we couldn't believe the time when we woke up, the silence suggested it'd be middle of the night! View from the window into fields, watching the cows graze just outside. Beautiful!

With every thing included in this deal, and the service of the staff in a lovely hotel, we would love to stay again!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
h6617_dm, General Manager at Mercure Blackburn Dunkenhalgh Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 6 June 2014
Dear Guest
Thank you for providing feedback. Your comments are appreciated. I will share them with the team.
southport
Reviewed 2 June 2014

We stayed at the Dunkenhalgh Hotel for my birthday and were not disappointed in any way. The staff were excellent, very friendly and helpful. The food was first class and the restaurant staff really looked after us throughout our stay.
The hotel is charming, welcoming and exceptionally clean and comfortable. We would not hesitate to recommend the Dunkenhalgh to anyone planning a special break away.

Room Tip: The executive rooms are superb and extremely comfortable.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
h6617_dm, General Manager at Mercure Blackburn Dunkenhalgh Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. I was delighted to hear that your birthday celebrations were enjoyable. I hope that you will return to us again in the future.
Manchester
Reviewed 31 May 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for 2 nights on a conference package. The hotel is conveniently located with very easy motorway access. The grounds are pleasant and the building is fairly grand. Our room was slightly tired and looked like it might be due for some refurbishment in places but it was spacious, clean and comfortable. There was a pleasant sitting area by the bedroom window although the room was slightly dingy in the afternoons when the sun was around the other side of the building. Perhaps the room could do with slightly better lighting - we had to ask for a desk lamp to enable us to do some work.

What really stood out as exceptional at this hotel was the attitude of all the staff. Nearly every member of staff that we encountered from managers and conference staff to waiters and cleaners were wonderfully friendly, helpful and polite. This really does make a difference to the experience of staying here and is the reason I've awarded 5/5. There were 2 weddings taking place on one of the days during our stay but this did not affect our event and we were still made to feel like we mattered and that we were welcome. I hope the management realise what a difference their staff make and reward them accordingly.

The food was very good and the atmosphere in both the restaurant and the bar was very pleasant.

The leisure facilities are also worth a mention. The gym is far better than your average tiny hotel gym and as well as a reasonable pool there is a wonderful 'thermal suite' with several saunas and steam rooms. This proved very popular with our conference delegates.

All in all we had a great event at this hotel and will definitely use it again.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank ManFromManchester
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback in regards to your recent stay. I was delighted to hear that your event was successful and that the staff were very helpful throughout your visit. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future
Yours sincerely
Liverpool,UK
Reviewed 30 May 2014

Stayed here for one night as a surprise weekend away for my birthday,organised by my daughters! Had beautiful large bedroom with view over surrounding countryside.Spa pool & spa treatments were great & I had the best rib eye steak for dinner since I was in the US! Staff were very friendly on arrival & very efficient. Buffet breakfast on the Sunday morning too. Would recommend.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. Your comments are appreciated. I will share them with the team. I hope that you may return int he future.
Ivan Lynch
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clayton-le-Moors
Stanley House Hotel & Spa
Best Western Oaks Hotel & Leisure Club
Foxfields Country Hotel
Foxfields Country Hotel
#1 of 1 in Billington

Been to Mercure Blackburn Dunkenhalgh Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!