“Excellent Wedding location”

Mercure Blackburn Dunkenhalgh Hotel & Spa
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Ive stayed at this hotel many times before for relaxation and a break BUT my main use of this hotel was for my wedding reception and party last year. The staff are always very professional and helpful. The hotel and grounds are beautiful and lots of space to explore. nice spa and swimming area. I have so many beautiful photos of my wedding day from all around the hotel and grounds :-) the wedding reception and party was great with all professional wedding planner, dj, photographer + other staff. Its a very romantic place to be with lovely rooms and very clean standards.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 1234simon
h6617_dm, General Manager at Mercure Blackburn Dunkenhalgh Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2014

Dear Guest
Thank you for providing feedback. Your comments are very much appreciated. I will share them with the team. I hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future

Reviewed 30 June 2014

From our arrival to our departure, we had a wonderful stay. The hotel is in lovely grounds and a very imposing building/ All the staff were very friendly and helpful.
Our room was clean, tidy and well appointed. The bed was comfortable, clean linen and towels. The only problem was that there did not appear to be any air con, only a heater.
We went into the bar for sandwiches which were well priced and very tasty and the price of beverages is what you would expect in a hotel.
The spa facilities were very good and staff were extremely friendly. My wife had 3 treatments which were reasonably priced. The pool was a nice size, not too large, although if you wanted a long swim, possibly a little small. The Thermal Suite was again very good with several different types of steam room/sauna.
The evening meal which we had as part of our package was superb. The breakfast was also wonderful with a lot of choices.
The only problemwe had was using a SatNav/GPS to locate the hotel. As you come off the motorway and arrive at the junction for the hotel, the system tells you to turn right when in fact the hotel is on the left. However other than that minor problem, we had a fantastic stay.

Room Tip: We were in the Executive WIng and the room was on the first floor on the south side of the hotel and...

Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. Your comments are appreciated and will no doubt help to motivate the team to provide a similar level of service moving forward. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future

Reviewed 29 June 2014

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Mercure Hotels

Reviewed 27 June 2014

HI, hotel is very imposing and beautiful and I was very impressed. Service from any member of staff I met was very good and I felt looked after. As a one night trip it was a bit expensive - but worth it for that little bit of luxury :-)

Review collected in partnership with Mercure Hotels

Dear Guest
Thank you for providing feedback. Your comments are appreciated. I will share them with the team. I hope that we can look after you again in the future

Reviewed 23 June 2014

we visited the Dunkenhalgh for valentines weekend and following our review we were contacted by the manager who was keen to remedy our grumbles, and on this visit we were certainly impressed and had a much better stay than previously.
Our room was lovely and the meal we had in the restaurant was lovely.
So thank you for allowing us to give your hotel another try we had a lovely time.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
h6617_dm, General Manager at Mercure Blackburn Dunkenhalgh Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2014

Dear Guest
Thank you for providing further feedback. Your comments are appreciated. I hope that we will see you again in the future

Reviewed 23 June 2014

I have previously stayed at the Dunkenhalgh around 4 years ago. That time it was for a wedding at the hotel. It was OK so my wife and I stayed again whilst attending a two day wedding at a different venue.

We arrived on a Friday night after the first day of the wedding we were attending, at around 10pm. Despite booking a room months in advance and pre-paying, no reservation found was the response. I booked the room directly through the Mercure website. Some mention was made that the reservation team must not have entered it onto the system?? It's 2014; I find it staggering their system is such a manual process, definitely something they should look at.

Fortunately I'd brought my confirmation email and the gentleman on reception was very good and created a new reservation for us, so that was a plus point. He did want to take my credit card details again to make a £100 charge which I took issue with given I'd paid up front, but he was fine with that and took a copy of my driving license instead.

We stayed in room 208. The room was a decent size and clean enough, but the whole place (certainly the block of rooms we were put in) is looking a bit tired. The Wifi also doesn't stretch to us. The big problem however was the noise; even with the windows closed I could hear every word of every song the DJ was pumping out for the wedding across the courtyard until 1am. How can a venue that does multiple weddings per day not make any effort to soundproof the rooms opposite? The second night of our stay we returned much later so didn't have to put up with the music for long.

The other issue was the heat; there's no air conditioning so when it's warm it's not pleasant. I mentioned this in my review 4 years ago but nothing has changed. No fan in the room either.

One more plus though was breakfast, where the food and service were good on both mornings.

Overall, I would not stay here again. It is a wedding factory and sure they do them well, but there really is very little consideration for other paying guests who aren't attending weddings at the hotel.

4  Thank Astuteboy

Dear Guest
Thank you for providing feedback. We cater for weddings at the hotel. We also cater to leisure guests and other events at the weekends as well. We do try to allocate guests attending specific events in certain parts of the building that do not suffer with noise. I am sorry that your room was not booked correctly, as if it had been we would have kept you away from the noise. Air conditioning is not something that is currently planned for all the rooms. Fans are available on request. I was pleased to hear that your breakfast experience was a good one.
Yours sincerely

Reviewed 23 June 2014

From the minute we got to reception until our departure all staff were pleasant, approachable and helpful. We upgraded to premier as we wanted wifi access. Fantastic large room with a great view.
Our fiend's daughters wedding on Sunday wa amazing. The service and food was excellent.
My only criticism would be the lack of chairs in the gardens. There were over 180 guests at the wedding with ony 8 chairs in the garden. The same at the front outside the bar, only two bench tables and chairs.
Come on Mercure splash out on more outside seating for when we come next time.

Room Tip: Room 713 looked out onto fields and very very quiet.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank HelenaDR_13

Dear Guest
Thank you for providing feedback. Your comments are appreciated.There are a number of outdoor areas where seating is provided. I take your point that potentially we could do with some more. I will certainly try to increase our capacity moving forward. Hopefully the weather will warrant the extra seating
Ivan Lynch

Also consider these accommodations in or near Clayton-le-Moors
Foxfields Country Hotel
#3 of 3 in Clayton-le-Moors
Best Western Higher Trapp Country House Hotel
Best Western Mytton Fold Hotel & Golf Club
Best Western Oaks Hotel & Leisure Club

Been to Mercure Blackburn Dunkenhalgh Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!