“Very average”

Mercure Blackburn Dunkenhalgh Hotel & Spa
England
“Very average”
Reviewed 29 November 2008

Country-style hotel but located very close to a motorway junction so easy to get to. There is lots of parking but it gets busy when there is a conference on. Rooms are OK but nothing special - good 3 star rather than 4 star. Breakfast is expensive so check before you book. A 25 minute walk to the Accrington Stanley football ground if you're interested.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — cost of breakfast
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled solo
1 Thank Brighton9

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (302)
  • Polish first
Lancashire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 November 2008

lovely from outside and grounds look nice! Problem is the rooms,....very dated and need serious investment! Just cold, old fashioned and in desperate need of refurbishment!! Shame really as it could be so nice!

• Liked — easy motorway access
  • Disliked — room was terrible cold and bathroom awful!!
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
UK
Reviewed 30 September 2008

I think this is the first time in all my years of putting hotel reviews on Tripadvisor that I've ever given just a 1/5.

It clearly depends on whether you get to stay in the rambling and damp 'original' building, or in the newer annexe. I was in the 'original' building.

My room was in the roof space, judging by the irregular corridor shapes and tiny door to the room, reached by navigating a maze of old corridors with damp patches and up and down stairs, with heavy bags and no lift, this was no easy task.

Once in the room, it had the feel of a cheap Blackpool B&B (to quote a previous review on this site), old worn out furniture, badly stained headboard, dusty and dirty. I think you get the picture. Hence the reason for my title about having to go back outside the hotel to read the classification 'stars'.

Nice bar/restaurant. Pleasant and helpful staff.

Overall quality though was a big dissapointment.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Poor quality
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk

Travellers are raving about these Clayton-le-Moors hotels

kent, England
Reviewed 8 September 2008

Not a Hotel to arrive at if your tired or hungry. Long drawn out check in, I lost count of the times i had to give them my credit card for a one night stay. No dinner available as we arrived at 9.15 although plenty of tables. Managed to get bar snack took forever and was cold. Room had a hole in the wall and the bed was like concrete.Had to leave early so had breakfast in room, I was told to tick everything from the coninental breakfast,I couldnt have hot food at 7.30 on sunday morning... when it arrived all they had given me was two soggy slices of toast and a mini Babybel!!! I guess nobody from the hotel had ever seen a continental breakfast. Checked out had to show credit card again!!! Just could not be bothered to complain I was losing the will to live at this stage. Awful...

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — The concrete bed
  • Stayed July 2007
Surrey, UK
Reviewed 28 August 2008

This is a lovely hotel, in a not very salubrious area, so you will likely want to stay within its environs. The hotel, rooms and all facilities were first class, and the vast majority of staff could not do enough for us- they were lovely. However, it only takes one bad apple as they say, and first impressions do count, so pray you don't encounter the receptionist we encountered on arrival. First, we had the temerity to arrive before official check in time- we had had a five hour journey, so it was difficult to arrive exactly on time(.".sigh.....well the rooms aren't ready etc etc" )We went to the bar for lunch and returned later. Same receptionist ("You'll have to pay for the room now" )Had been told we'd already paid on booking("No you haven;t") OK, we'll check that later- here's my debit card(we don't allow credit facilities with a debit card) What does that mean("It means I;ll have to restrict your account and you'll have to pay cash for anything you use or purchase in the hotel)" I don't think so- my cash is usually good enough for hotels considerably better than this- exactly how difficult can you make it for your customers- we could go elsewhere, particularly as you say we haven't paid. (."..sigh...we will want a credit card") Well, you can't have one- its a debit card or nothing, and I expect to be able to charge items against it or we won't be staying.(."..sigh.......oh very well"-said with VERY bad grace) This gave a most unfortunate start to a stay that would otherwise have been most pleasant. Fortunately ALL the other staff, without exception were lovely.
MORAL FOR MANAGEMENT- for a four star hotel, don't employ two star staff.

• Liked — Spa and room comfort
  • Disliked — The first receptionist- might mean we don't re-book on our next trip to the area-we are regular visitors
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank sisgb
Northants UK
Reviewed 13 August 2008

Its a long time since I stayed in a UK hotel, but I have to say I found this quite good. I assume as its French owned that the staff are better trained, as they where very helpful and polite.
Rooms are good, food is good, gym etc is OK to Good, grounds are nice.
No complaints.

• Liked — Most of it, in fact perhaps all of it.
  • Disliked — Very little, not woth mentioning.
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled on business
Oxford
Reviewed 6 August 2008

I stayed at the Dunkenhalgh at the end of July for a work diiner.

I was over 1 hour late arriving at the Hotel, sue to be being delayed at Wigan Train Station for over 45 Minutes.

'When I arrived at the Hotel I was told I wasn't booked in! But this was quickly resovled & a room was found for me.

Check In was quick & easy. No problems there, except I wasn't offered luggage assistance, & I was a lone female traveller who was running late! Would of been nice to be showed to my room.

I was told at Check In that the Drinks Reception started at 6.30PM & I arrived at 6.10PM!!! They didn't offer to warn the group I was with that I was running late and I would down once I had showered & changed! Luckly I made it down in time!

When I checked in, I was told about how the lights worked, but the fob on my keys wasn't large enough. So the lights stayed on, itf I stood the held the fob in place! Not very practical!!!

Dinner its self was lovely. I don't eat fish & the starter was Crab, the Hotel were very accomadtiong & changed my starter to a Melon Salad. This was very nice, just what I needed after a hard day working & travelling in the heat!

After Dinner, before heading back to mt room, I spoke to Recepption about my lights & they got me a bigger fob, which did stay in place.

After I had got back to my room, I discovered there was no Room-Service Breakfast Card. So, I had to walk all the way back down to Reception to get one, as there was no obvious way of ringing Reception!

Breakfast was lovely, if delivered a little early. Asked for between 8.30AM & 8.45AM. Arrived at 8.25. Luckly I was awake!

Check Out was very quick & simple. Reception even managed to ring the taxi company & they got them to come earlier than booked for.

All in all, a good stay & would definately stay there again, when not on business & can make use of the Spa & the gorunds. It must be a lovely Wedding venue, shame I live 3 1/2hrs away...by train!!!

• Liked — The Dinner & where we had our Drinks Reception
  • Disliked — The Lights not working, no Luggage Assistance & no Room Service Breakfast card
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clayton-le-Moors
Stanley House Hotel & Spa
Best Western Ribble Valley Langho Mytton Fold Hotel & Golf
Northcote Hotel
Northcote Hotel
#1 of 3 in Langho

Been to Mercure Blackburn Dunkenhalgh Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!