“Delightful hotel”

Sparth House Hotel
Bedford, United Kingdom
“Delightful hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2013

We decided to stay at the Sparth House while attending an event at the home of a family member who didn't have the room to put us up. Thank goodness they didn't or we would never have come across this little gem of a hotel. We had decided to make a weekend of it and stay two nights, booking a meal in the restaurant for our first night. The menu was excellent and the food delicious and obviously cooked freshly to order. The service was excellent, despite the restaurant being busy and there was a lovey ambience. We moved to the bar following our meal and spent an enjoyabe couple of hours sampling some lovely wines and chatting with staff and various other guests. The decor is a bit tired, but the building is beautiful and has such delightful original features that it just needs someone with a bit of imagination to restore it to it's original elegance. Our room was clean and comfortable, if in need of a little updating and we enjoyed a delicious breakfast both mornings of our stay. Having chatted with some other guests about the nearby Ribble Valley, we will certainly be back to stay at this delightful hotel as we explore a beautiful part of the country hitherto unfamiliar to us. Many thanks to the Sparth House and it's staff, we'll be back soon!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Sparthhouse H, General Manager at Sparth House Hotel, responded to this review, 17 November 2013
Many thanks for taking to write your review. I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay with us & will pass on your praise to the staff which is much appreciated. As you are aware Sparth House Hotel is a 16th Century building and although we try to keep with modern trends we feel that it is important not the lose the character of the hotel. I can confirm we are planning some refurbishments within the New Year so there may well be changes on your next visit.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2013

I stayed here for business for two days, the first night was so cold I had to wear all of my clothes to keep warm.
To their credit, they did move me to another room the following night that actually had working heating.
However, both rooms appeared very dirty, there were cobwebs in the bathrooms and in the bath some very suspect looking hairs. It made me wonder what else they had not cleaned.

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank EPF11
Sparthhouse H, General Manager at Sparth House Hotel, responded to this review, 15 November 2013
Many thanks for taking time to write your review. Sorry to hear you did not enjoy your stay with us & wont be returning. We have taken your comments on board and they will be looked into. Here at Sparth House we do our best to accommodate all guests needs and did move you rooms when you mentioned you were cold.
It saddens me that you failed to mention your other worries upon check out as I personally asked was your stay satisfactory to which you replied yes. I only wish you had mentioned your concerns & given us chance you rectify these & hopefully you would of left happy.
Blackburn, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2013

I recently attended a friends wedding here and just wanted to express what a fantastic day and evening it was. The place itself is really beautiful especially the outside area and the food we had was fantastic. The staff were superb and really made the day especially the assistant manager Damien who was extremely friendly and hardworking. I will definitely be returning for either a meal or an overnight stay!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank claire b
Sparthhouse H, General Manager at Sparth House Hotel, responded to this review, 6 September 2013
Many thanks for your lovely review, I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your visit to us & I will pass on your praise :)
Blackburn, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2013

We decided to book my engagement part here, after we having afternoon tea a few times and the deco was classy, yet modern with a beautiful edge to it. The staff really could not do enough for us and our guests. Lesley Ann kept us informed of when food was being served and was really helpful. The whole day was fantastic and it really could not have gone any better. Thank you so much to all the staff.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank emily b
Sparthhouse H, General Manager at Sparth House Hotel, responded to this review, 31 August 2013
Many thanks for your lovely review & I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your visit. I will be sure to pass on your praise.
Burnley
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2013

I had my wedding here on Saturday 11thMay 2013 and had a fabulous day, if anything it went far too quickly. Lesley Ann is a credit to this hotel, on the run up she was fantastic, with great communication, she was incredibly helpful throughout. On the day I was met by Lesley Ann at the main doors, and believe me I needed her calming influence. I knew the room would look fabulous, and it did. We had made all our decorations and they were placed beautifully out the room. On the day we had many compliments about the helpful staff and how smoothly the wedding breakfast had run ( this was purely the staff who were very efficient) , the food and wine flowed wonderfully. As a bride I didn't want to drink too much during the day, I had mentioned bucks fizz to Lesley Ann prior to my big day and she put this on especially for me, which was super and a lovel touch. I have had rave reviews about the food especially the sticky toffee pudding. All in all the day was fabulous, the hotel was great with a fantastic recently decorated bridal suite and other rooms which are modern but in keeping with the place, and lastly the staff are a credit to the place, Lesley Ann in particular. I am already trying to twist my new husbands arm for a renewal in a years time. So I can go back and o it all again, if not I shall return for at least an overnight stay and a lovely meal. This place is a hidden gem!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Joanne M
Sparthhouse H, General Manager at Sparth House Hotel, responded to this review, 18 June 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review and I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your day. I am going to miss our little meetings :( take care & all the best for the future.

LA x
burnley
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2013

just want to thank lesleyann and her staff, we had a fantastic wedding at sparth house on 18th may 2013, the food both day and night was lovely all our guests commented on how lovely all the staff were nothing was too much trouble for them. lesleyann is a star she made the wedding day flow so smoothly and took all the stress out of the day for me ( the brides mother) I cant thank her enough for all her help before and during the wedding, hope the owners of sparth hpouse know how lucky they are to have a manager like her. thanks again to you all for everything.

Room Tip: any of the rooms are good
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you so much for your lovely review & I am delighted to hear your day was as perfect as you had hoped, Don't forget to keep in touch.

LA x
Burnley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2013

My daughter had her wedding here on the 11th May 2011. We could not fault it, the staff especially Lesley Ann were fantastic they all did everything the could to make sure the day was everything the bride and groom wanted.
Everybody who attended both the day and evening receptions have commented on the setting, rooms and lovely food and how pleasant the staff were. They are all a credit to the owners. Lesley Ann in particular kept the day flowing smoothly and she is an assent to the venue. She managed everything exactly as we had planned, and nothing was too much trouble we cant praise her high enough and she is certainly an assent to the venue.
We had all the rooms booked out overnight and they were all great especially the suites which have all recently been redecorated and refurbished.
Lesley Ann was there again to welcome us into the dining room for breakfast and again we could not fault it.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Sparthhouse H, General Manager at Sparth House Hotel, responded to this review, 20 May 2013
Thank you Christine for your lovely review & I will pass your praise onto staff. It was a pleasure to meet you and hopefully we will see you again in the future!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clayton-le-Moors
Mercure Blackburn Dunkenhalgh Hotel & Spa
Northcote Hotel
#1 of 3 in Langho
Best Western Ribble Valley Langho Mytton Fold Hotel & Golf
BEST WESTERN Higher Trapp Country House Hotel

Been to Sparth House Hotel? Share your experiences!