“Fawlty Towers of the North”
Review of Brook House Hotel

Brook House Hotel
london
“Fawlty Towers of the North”
Reviewed 10 September 2009

I stayed here as a stop off point on the way down from Scotland. As I walked up the stairs there was wedding confetti all over the place, so the stairs had not been hoovered from the Saturday wedding party. On entering my room for the night, I was hit with the smell of stale cigarette smoke. Desperate for a coffee, I put the kettle on, I emptied the contents of the coffee stick into the cup and the cup was still dirty from the previous occupant. It had obviously just been swilled out under the tap in the ensuite. So I gave that a miss. I decided to go and get a beer instead and order some food. I waited for 10 minutes and then the Barman/Chef came along and asked me what I wanted. I ordered and then he went off to cook it. Other people then came in and wanted a drink but he was out in the kitchen cooking my meal? I can’t see how a barman/chef can work. On a plus side the food was quite good when it arrived and I did enjoy the meal. Then to bed. In the morning I turned the shower on and no hot water, I went down for breakfast hoping that in the short time that the water would be hot again. I ordered coffee and went to pour it in and guess what a dirty cup again. Again the breakfast was excellent. I went back to the room to have a shower and the water was still freezing cold. What a nightmare. On checkout I complained about the lack of hot water to the receptionist (who doubled up as the breakfast waitress) and she told me that she would inform management. I had no explanation or apology. It’s a shame that the owners were not present to hear other people’s complaints that morning. Get the hotel Inspector in there before its to late !

• Stayed September 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank reg_traveller2

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Sussex, England
Reviewed 9 June 2009

Enjoyed my overnight stay - a value for money accommodation with a menu worth staying in for. Professional service with a personal touch.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled on business
ni
Reviewed 27 May 2009

this hotel has potential with local business' near by and its location is fairly good. the rooms are not what i expected as the housekeeping is not of a good standard. i have mixed feelings about the food. breakfast is good, a good start to the day and quickly served. pity i can't say the same about peter the 'chef', joke!! its not difficult to use a microwave and defrost the 'fresh' food. he's a nice guy but seriously needs to get real and hire a chef every night who can cook and don't get him to cook for the week in one day and freeze it for your clients for the rest of the week. the staff are pleasant and give their all but the food needs gordan ramsey to come to the rescue, terrible!!

• Stayed May 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank GrahameClarke
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clayton-le-Woods
Hallmark Hotel Preston Leyland
Farington Lodge Hotel
Farington Lodge Hotel
#1 of 1 in Farington
Premier Inn Preston South (Craven Drive) Hotel

Been to Brook House Hotel? Share your experiences!