Foxley Bank Stables
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Eaves Hall(Clitheroe)
Swan & Royal(Clitheroe)
View Hotel
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 22 April 2012

Foxley Bank is such a lovely place to stay. The building itself is beautiful, and the rooms are tastefully decorated and furnished, with some beautiful and eclectic pieces. Everything had been provided for, from the well-stocked kitchen to the toys in the twin room. It's those little touches, coupled with a lovely welcome basket, that make you feel comfortable and at home. We stayed as two families, both with young children, and found we had plenty of space to accomodate us all. The beds are SO comfortable too! Our little girl had a fall when we were out and about, and Sarah, the owner, took the time to come round and check she was ok before she went out for the evening.
I'd thoroughly recommend a stay here.

• Stayed: April 2012
Reviewed 29 January 2012

We stayed the third week in Jan and it has taken me until now to write this review as I was so upset by the owners behaviour following our stay, namely her reaction to comments left in her guest book. As far as I understand it,a guest book is left in the cottage so guests can leave their comments about their stay, the accommodation etc.

I had arranged for 7 of us to stay for my mum's 60th birthday. The owner was initially very accommodating and even let us have a small gathering there on the Saturday night (a surprise party for my mum's birthday.) We were very grateful for this.

We were all very pleased with the cottage but some of the party felt there were a few small issues (nothing worth bothering the owner about whilst we were there, but something for them to consider in future to improve their let). My brother wrote in the guest book about what he felt these issues were (for example the fact that there was scaffolding up on the building, a leaking roof, we couldn't use the wood burner due to the chimney covering being missing etc).

I glanced at his entry and wrote my own, saying I agreed with the issues he had raised but that it hadn't detracted from our stay and we had all had a lovely time, and I would write a proper review on here. My mum and dad stayed another night in the property and my mum wrote in the book before she left also saying thanks and what a nice time we'd had.

On Monday morning I had a missed call from the owner so called her straight back to see what she wanted. She answered the phone and said she was "livid" I asked what was the matter thinking my parents must have negelected to clean the property or broken something. But no, it was the comments in the guest book she was calling about. I terminated this call as I felt that the owner was being quite aggressive. I then realised she had left me not one but three answerphone messages. She had also called my mum! (Who'd had nothing to do with organising the stay). I was so upset about this. When I broached it with my brother he apologised if the tone of what he had written had offended the owner but certainly felt all the issues he raised were valid.

I tried to explain this to the owner, and explain that he hadn't come to her over the weekend as we hadn't felt these were issues that needed to be brought up and we were generally more than happy with the accommodation and facilities. However she would not accept this and became more and more personal and abusive. She told me that I'd looked "miserable" when she came to collect the money from us, she accused us of having broken the sauna door (!) saying it "sounded like it got a lot of use" (3 of us used it over the entire weekend, seperately I might add!) She said we should have left / asked for our money back / gone to stay at the youth hostel down the road with its dirty mattresses.

I felt that her reaction and her attitude were highly unprofessional. I was very upset and shocked at first but now just feel quite angry that I was treated like this. If you stay here, beware of writing in the comments book.

Room Tip: The cottage says it sleeps 8 but I would revise to sleeps 6 and two children as there isn't an en suite in the 4th room and there is no other bathroom guests sleeping in this room could use.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
24  Thank Peckishism
Reviewed 24 January 2012

My girlfriend and I were looking for a property in the countryside so that we could have a weekend reunion with two other couples one of which has a five year old son. The criteria was obviously the ability to house us all, good country walks for the day time and a local hostelry that can feed and water us whilst providing entertainment for young Sam. Foxley Bank Stables provided all of this and more. It is a beautiful residence furnished to a very high standard set in gorgeous countryside. The owners Steve and Sarah met us on arrival with a very warm welcome, Steve briefly showed us around the property with a quick explanation as to how to operate the sauna. The first night we decided upon a pub super, I asked Steve for a taxi number so that some of us may have a drink, Steve told us not to bother with that he would run as down to the pub and give us a number for a lift back (how’s that for service).The pub had a large play area to the rear, the food was top end pub grub and the local Bitter was stunning all bases covered. The next day we had a long walk around the rolling hills and valleys of the Ribble Valley the scenery is breath taking. That night we set a large log fire roaring and enjoyed a lovely meal in the property, the kitchen facility contains all and more than is required for a dinner party. A wonderful night was had by all of us.
I can recommend this property; the facilities, location and hospitality are second to none. We are planning a return visit. Thanks Steve and Sarah.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank pimoj
Reviewed 20 June 2011

We stayed here this weekend for a friend's hen weekend- the single most beautiful place I have ever seen in the north west!

Sarah, the owner, couldn't do anything else to make it better- it is beautifully laid out, comfortable and well stocked. It was an absolute gem of a place.

Incredibly comfy beds, stunning views and a brilliantly stocked kitchen; I'll certainly be looking for a reason to come back, as will many of our party!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank lolacapone
Reviewed 5 January 2010

A beautiful property set in gorgeous countryside, my partner and i plus 3 other couples stayed here over New Year, we had a lovely stay. Furnished to a very high standard. Small welcoming pubs 20 minutes walk away, a short drive to Clitheroe, pendle and Skipton.

The surrounding areas where covered in snow so i can only imagine what they would look like in Spring and summer. - Although in the summer months there would be no need to use the huge log fire which was fantastic!

The property is next door to a working farm, we were a little suprised to see a herd of cows grazing outside but not disappointed as it gave us a lovely country feel.

This property is right next door to Bowland High School, just glad we went in the school holidays!

i would recommend this place to anyone, we never did meet the owners but from speaking to Sarah over the phone i can say they are lovely people.

Stayed: December 2009, travelled with friends