“Top class”

Foxley Bank Stables
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Clitheroe
Foxley Bank Stables
Ranked #14 of 23 Clitheroe B&B and Inns
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Top class”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2013

We've been staying as a four, five or six at Foxley Bank for the past seven years, once or twice a year. We've had Christmas and New Year there and we've spent many weeks there in the summer. It's a classy, roomy, well-equipped, warm and cosy apartment that I've always quite fancied living in. There's loads of parking, a private garden area, a balcony with a view across rolling fields and a fabulous view of Pendle from just outside the apartment. Stephen provides plenty of wood for the burner and Sarah always leaves a basket full of top-quality local produce to start off your stay.

Sarah and Stephen have laid on books, maps, games and plenty of TV channels on the off-chance that it might rain..... The fabulous Spread Eagle pub is a ten-minute walk away across the river and it's great biking, walking and exploring country.

Can't recommend it enough really..... it's the highpoint of our regular trips to Lancs.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2012

The hosts: how often do you actually make new friends, once you're past a certain age? Sarah and her family became my friends during my 3 - night stay at Foxley Bank Stables. They are genuine, warm, alert, educated, engaging people who adopted me as I traveled solo to Grindleton, near Clitheroe, in Lancashire. I hope to stay in touch during the years to come.

The property: the old stables has been converted into a luxury apartment, wonderfully decorated and very comfortable. There are several bedrooms with most set up for children. The master bedroom is cozy and quiet with a master bath that is huge with a big clawfoot tub and fantastic plumbing fixtures, installed in exactly the right position. (Hint: there is a rather noisy fan that turns on automatically whenever the bathroom light is on, and it will stay on for quite a while after you turn the light out, so avoid turning on the light if it bothers you.) The eat-in kitchen is the center piece in every way, and it feels like home. There is a little washing machine, refrigerator, freezer, and a huge range/oven to accomodate all your needs. The window over the kitchen sink is nice, as are all the many windows throughout the apartment. (Hint: I only noticed the spatulas, big spoons, and those cooking hand tools on the morning I left - they are in a big cannister to the right of the sink, pushed back a bit into a corner. My eyes had registered that corner as "decoration" and I kept looking in all the drawers for a spatula!) The armoire in the bedroom is nice, the wood of the big table and the other furniture is warm and solid and reassuring. The balcony off one side overlooks a meadow and is the perfect place to dry laundry, as well as sit in solitude. There are several bathrooms, all decorated beautifully, as are the bedrooms. Eclectic and playful, but it really works. The wireless internet works well in the family room, but I was also able to get it to work at the kitchen table with only a momentary lack of connection. The modern red leather chairs in the family room are more comfortable than they look. And of course the big plush seating here and there is tempting indeed. The temperature is well controlled with windows, furnace, fireplace, and all the methods I used worked extremely well and a good ventilation/temperature balance can be had throughout the apartment.

The surroundings: the English countryside at its best. Walk outdoors here and you have it all: babbling brooks, fly-fishing, swaying trees, quaint twisting roads, good food and drink, green pastures with sheep, stone walls, pretty bridges, all within an easy walk of Foxley Bank Stables. I am not a hiker at all, but I was inspired to haul out my cane and give it a try, and I was glad that I did. There is a specialty high school for the arts across the street, but the school doesn't have a very early start time, and after the morning cars arrive and park, there was no noise.

Hint: Upon the first approach, the GPS system on our car led us to a nearby cottage, and then I landed us in the high school itself where I could not find a place to turn around. Once you find Foxley Bank, it's obvious, but it can be hard to see the entrance and the (very small, discrete) sign. If the gate is closed, the entrance looks rather like a satellite parking lot for the school. When Sarah offers to meet you somewhere and show you the way in the first time, take her up on the offer!

I couldn't recommend this place more, and I did not want to leave. Ever!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Zoobeefoo
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2012

Foxley Bank is such a lovely place to stay. The building itself is beautiful, and the rooms are tastefully decorated and furnished, with some beautiful and eclectic pieces. Everything had been provided for, from the well-stocked kitchen to the toys in the twin room. It's those little touches, coupled with a lovely welcome basket, that make you feel comfortable and at home. We stayed as two families, both with young children, and found we had plenty of space to accomodate us all. The beds are SO comfortable too! Our little girl had a fall when we were out and about, and Sarah, the owner, took the time to come round and check she was ok before she went out for the evening.
I'd thoroughly recommend a stay here.

• Stayed April 2012
Derby
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2012

We stayed the third week in Jan and it has taken me until now to write this review as I was so upset by the owners behaviour following our stay, namely her reaction to comments left in her guest book. As far as I understand it,a guest book is left in the cottage so guests can leave their comments about their stay, the accommodation etc.

I had arranged for 7 of us to stay for my mum's 60th birthday. The owner was initially very accommodating and even let us have a small gathering there on the Saturday night (a surprise party for my mum's birthday.) We were very grateful for this.

We were all very pleased with the cottage but some of the party felt there were a few small issues (nothing worth bothering the owner about whilst we were there, but something for them to consider in future to improve their let). My brother wrote in the guest book about what he felt these issues were (for example the fact that there was scaffolding up on the building, a leaking roof, we couldn't use the wood burner due to the chimney covering being missing etc).

I glanced at his entry and wrote my own, saying I agreed with the issues he had raised but that it hadn't detracted from our stay and we had all had a lovely time, and I would write a proper review on here. My mum and dad stayed another night in the property and my mum wrote in the book before she left also saying thanks and what a nice time we'd had.

On Monday morning I had a missed call from the owner so called her straight back to see what she wanted. She answered the phone and said she was "livid" I asked what was the matter thinking my parents must have negelected to clean the property or broken something. But no, it was the comments in the guest book she was calling about. I terminated this call as I felt that the owner was being quite aggressive. I then realised she had left me not one but three answerphone messages. She had also called my mum! (Who'd had nothing to do with organising the stay). I was so upset about this. When I broached it with my brother he apologised if the tone of what he had written had offended the owner but certainly felt all the issues he raised were valid.

I tried to explain this to the owner, and explain that he hadn't come to her over the weekend as we hadn't felt these were issues that needed to be brought up and we were generally more than happy with the accommodation and facilities. However she would not accept this and became more and more personal and abusive. She told me that I'd looked "miserable" when she came to collect the money from us, she accused us of having broken the sauna door (!) saying it "sounded like it got a lot of use" (3 of us used it over the entire weekend, seperately I might add!) She said we should have left / asked for our money back / gone to stay at the youth hostel down the road with its dirty mattresses.

I felt that her reaction and her attitude were highly unprofessional. I was very upset and shocked at first but now just feel quite angry that I was treated like this. If you stay here, beware of writing in the comments book.

Room Tip: The cottage says it sleeps 8 but I would revise to sleeps 6 and two children as there isn't an e...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
18 Thank Peckishism
dartford
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2012

My girlfriend and I were looking for a property in the countryside so that we could have a weekend reunion with two other couples one of which has a five year old son. The criteria was obviously the ability to house us all, good country walks for the day time and a local hostelry that can feed and water us whilst providing entertainment for young Sam. Foxley Bank Stables provided all of this and more. It is a beautiful residence furnished to a very high standard set in gorgeous countryside. The owners Steve and Sarah met us on arrival with a very warm welcome, Steve briefly showed us around the property with a quick explanation as to how to operate the sauna. The first night we decided upon a pub super, I asked Steve for a taxi number so that some of us may have a drink, Steve told us not to bother with that he would run as down to the pub and give us a number for a lift back (how’s that for service).The pub had a large play area to the rear, the food was top end pub grub and the local Bitter was stunning all bases covered. The next day we had a long walk around the rolling hills and valleys of the Ribble Valley the scenery is breath taking. That night we set a large log fire roaring and enjoyed a lovely meal in the property, the kitchen facility contains all and more than is required for a dinner party. A wonderful night was had by all of us.
I can recommend this property; the facilities, location and hospitality are second to none. We are planning a return visit. Thanks Steve and Sarah.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank pimoj
bolton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2011

We stayed here this weekend for a friend's hen weekend- the single most beautiful place I have ever seen in the north west!

Sarah, the owner, couldn't do anything else to make it better- it is beautifully laid out, comfortable and well stocked. It was an absolute gem of a place.

Incredibly comfy beds, stunning views and a brilliantly stocked kitchen; I'll certainly be looking for a reason to come back, as will many of our party!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank lolacapone
Bolton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2010

A beautiful property set in gorgeous countryside, my partner and i plus 3 other couples stayed here over New Year, we had a lovely stay. Furnished to a very high standard. Small welcoming pubs 20 minutes walk away, a short drive to Clitheroe, pendle and Skipton.

The surrounding areas where covered in snow so i can only imagine what they would look like in Spring and summer. - Although in the summer months there would be no need to use the huge log fire which was fantastic!

The property is next door to a working farm, we were a little suprised to see a herd of cows grazing outside but not disappointed as it gave us a lovely country feel.

This property is right next door to Bowland High School, just glad we went in the school holidays!

i would recommend this place to anyone, we never did meet the owners but from speaking to Sarah over the phone i can say they are lovely people.

Stayed December 2009, travelled with friends
2 Thank chelle1983
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clitheroe
Stirk House Hotel
Fifty One and a Half Boutique B&B
The Red Pump Inn
The Red Pump Inn
#1 of 1 in Bashall Eaves

Been to Foxley Bank Stables? Share your experiences!