“Birthday meal”

Price range: US$19 - US$32
Cuisines: European, British
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: A 15th-century manor house in rural Lancashire, Mitton Hall creates fine food using local produce. Showcasing stunning interior design, the restaurant serves rich British and European dishes, a hearty Sunday lunch, and classic afternoon teas. From the flavour-packed Mitton Hall menu, expect the likes of pan-fried fillet of seabass with crushed new potatoes, spring greens and garlic veloute, or the Mediterranean vegetable risotto with parmesan shavings and truffle oil. Finish with one of the tempting desserts, including white chocolate, orange and ginger cheesecake with brandy snap curl, or apple pear and berry crumble. Afternoon tea at the Mitton Hall restaurant is both relaxed and indulgent, with fresh sandwiches and a selection of cakes and scones served by the roaring fire in the main hall, in the bar, or in the elegant brasserie. When the weather allows, afternoon tea can be enjoyed from the sunny terrace. Mitton Hall near Clitheroe is surrounded by idyllic scenery. Blackburn and Burnley are both a 20-minute drive away.
Aughton
“Birthday meal”
Reviewed 28 July 2014

The easiest way to describe Mitton Hall Restaurant is as follows.
1. Food Excellent.
2. Service Excellent.
3. Surroundings. Excellent.
4. Staff. It was so nice to see such a young staff team who carried out their duties in a very friendly, polite, professional manner. They were a credit to Mittion Hall.
All in all a fantastic time had by all and we will return sometime in the near future.
Thank you Mitton Hall for making our lunch one to remember.

Clitheroe
“Mitton Hall Brasserie, Mitton”
Reviewed 19 July 2014

We've been to Mitton Hall several times in the past as a couple and had some exceptionally memorable meals, and I'd additionally taken business colleagues and visitors there, primarily to make them feel special and impress them (and to be fair, it has done this, always, and in spades). So after a very busy few days for my wife, we felt like we needed a special 'treat', and given the splendid summer weather we'd been enjoying, a table 'out-back' here seemed to fit the bill.

We were aware when we arrived just how busy the restaurant was, and it quickly became apparent that there was a function on. I'm always a bit wary in these circumstances, as it can be a bit hit-and-miss - clearly the restaurant needs to be performing at the top of its game to ensure a big function is catered for, never mind keeping regular diners happy (more of this later). However, the setting and surroundings are sensational, and of course we'd always enjoyed our visits here, so we found a good table and parked ourselves.

We were served promptly and efficiently with drinks (the service was very good, as is typically the case with all the James Places venues we've visited). Although there was an offer on that evening, we went with the main menu: I chose the Pea Ravioli (served with "ham hock, charred leeks and home cured lardo"), and my wife took the Chef's salad ("Selection of Seasonal Salads, Cresses and Vegetables, Pickled, Charred, Cured and Grilled dressed with Garlic and Chilli"). For our main course I had the Rare Breed Pork T-Bone steak ("Apple Sauce, House Butter, Roast Onion") and my wife had the Homemade Beef Burger (served with "Gem Lettuce, Tomato, Pickles, Garlic Mayonnaise, Relish and French Fries"). We took a side of Glazed Vegetables too.

I couldn't decide whether I enjoyed my starter or not; the Pea ravioli had a great taste, but the texture was very 'board-y' - the pasta was quite doughy and chewy - not a great experience. The ham tasted great and was exceptionally tender, but there was very little of it, so I felt slightly cheated. Ditto the leeks – great flavour, but not enough. The whole thing was served in a pleasant tasting clear broth, but with no spoon, this stayed mainly where it was. Mix of great and disappointing, I suppose. My wife appeared to enjoy her salad, although I didn't partake, so can't say.

The main course was again a story of two halves. The pork was excellent - really full-flavoured and succulent, and the apple sauce fantastic. On the flip side, the roast onion was underdone IMO - too much of a 'bite' which gave it a slightly 'raw' feel.

However, my main problem with the dish was the house butter, which appeared to have been shaped using an ice-cream scoop, or at least something of a similar nature. This in effect turned it into a big, solid 'ball' - looked very unappetising to my eyes. It was also very cold - felt like it had just come from the fridge. What made it worse IMO is that there was far too much for the plate, as apart from the pork, there was nothing that it could accompany - no potatoes or other vegetables. This meant that as it melted the plate just began to swim in a buttery slick. Finally, I couldn't figure out what it was meant to taste of.

I've had this sort of thing plenty of times and I would far prefer to have it served as a side, where you could apply as much or as little as you wish. Alternatively, a small scoop, judiciously applied, is fine. One man's cup of tea and all that, but for me this was just not nice.

My wife's burger was again a mix of great and not-so-great - the burger itself and most of the accompaniments were excellent, but the garlic mayonnaise was extremely strong and overwhelmed the rest of the dish. Maybe this could have either been toned down or else served on the side? My wife said she didn't mind it, although I got the impression she was being polite.

The music from the function room had been an ever-present back-stop to our conversation, although to be fair we didn't mind as it wasn't loud or intrusive by any stretch of the imagination. As we worked through our main course, however, the guests started to spill out onto the terrace, and what was previously a very pleasant and relaxing atmosphere just got plain noisy and busy - we felt 'surrounded' by groups of people milling around, and of course that's not always fun, particularly when you are not part of the function.

I suspect it's a perennial problem faced by venues such as this - the need to try and accommodate two distinct groups of people who are there for different reasons. Large groups of people who are very familiar with one another, who have probably been drinking and dancing and may well thus be a little 'boisterous' (all in the best possible taste of course - after all, this is Mitton Hall!) and smaller groups of diners, mostly couples, who might want a quiet, romantic dinner...maybe we could have been segregated? On the other hand, if I had such a superlative asset as the rear terrace here, I would probably want to let everyone use it all of the time too. A minor issue for us.

Overall, we felt the visit was average at best - food very middling, with only the fabulous location and efficient, friendly service preventing me from giving a lower score. The meal came to around £70, which included a couple of soft drinks, an espresso and a glass of Pimms and a glass of house wine. We always tip - unless the meal is really bad, which this most definitely was not - so in total the bill was around the mid-£70s. That's quite a lot for what was a pretty mediocre experience.

Finally - and most importantly - this is the only time we've been to Mitton Hall and not had a fantastic time. We'll be back, it's just that we may choose to go on a quieter evening!

4 Thank S K
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Charming”
Reviewed 13 July 2014

It is how you consider a wonderful lunch in perfect surroundings. Glorious rolling lawns with filled flowerborders, and the background of a stately home is perfection. Superb entrance, grand as anything I have ever seen, and then a short walk through apassageway to enter the garden at the back, with a view that takes your breath.. Chose a table uner th wisteria pagola, cool on a very hot summers day.. service, quick , informative and all done with smiles, interesting and varied menu, unusual menu for such a grand place. The meal was outstanding, we had the 6 taster menu, and exciting was a good word and so tasty. but the best part was,, champagne strawberry jelly for dessert, so cooling and refreshing on a hot day.. wonderful place, been many times, but recent it has had a re furbishment and superb job. Unusual dining place, all must try for the experience..

Lancashire, United Kingdom
“Beautiful setting - food disappointing”
Reviewed 12 July 2014

Mitton Hall is a beautiful historic building in a beautiful setting in the Ribble Valley. The impressive dark,oak panelled hall is both welcoming and cosy with a huge open fireplace and large comfy sofas. Outside is a large terrace which overlooks open countryside, where you can enjoy your meal,on a warm balmy summer evening. Inside, the restaurant is charming and atmospheric, with helpful,and attentive staff. The food however was rather disappointing. The pea ravioli was doughy, watery and bland. The Caesar salad average.

1 Thank Catherine I
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Charming setting”
Reviewed 1 July 2014

A splendid place to visit, although food not as good as it used to be.
The staff are always helpful.
They need to improve the bar menu.

Visited June 2014