“Great pub food.”

The Lower Buck Inn
Ranked #23 of 145 Restaurants in Clitheroe
Price range: US$3 - US$35
Dining options: Reservations
Description: A traditional country pub, The Lower Buck is one of the oldest pubs in the Ribble Valley. The current Lower Buck dates back to 1760. With fine cask ale and homemade country pub food, served daily. The interior features four period rooms, three of which have real fires to cosy up to. The pub has a beer garden front and back. Well behaved dogs are allowed inside the pub too. Monday has a limited menu, soup and sandwiches, unless a Bank Holiday where the full menu runs all day till 8:00pm
Reviewed 9 May 2014

Called in for lunch whilst passing. Remembered as a traditional pub which it has thankfully remained. Welcoming landlord with a decent selection of beers. An extensive menu and some daily specials. We chose the humble fish,chips and mushy peas - always a good test of the food quality if not innovation. There was no great delay, the portions were large but more importantly the food was freshly cooked and of excellent quality. Lovely haddock in a thin batter and great chips. Would like to sample more on the menu!
Hope this place succeeds as it offers the perfect balance of a traditional English pub with fine ales and good food. Try it.

2  Thank Prudol

Reviewed 24 April 2014

Good Friday 18.4.14 18.00

The Lower Buck Inn nestles in the picturesque village of Waddington in the scenic Ribble Valley. For me one of the most picturesque and tranquil places in the British Isles.
The Lower Buck is an old fashioned country Inn in every sense of the word that time has passed by. The words quaint and old fashioned ‘trip off the tongue’. The pub is a collection of tiny rooms both upstairs and down, with welcoming log fires. No open plan and shiny fixtures and fittings for this village pub. The basics of 1950’s and 1960’s village pub are still in place and mostly in their original form.
Land lord Andrew Warburton gave us his usual warm welcome. Surprisingly for a bank holiday the pub was rather quiet when we arrived around 6pm.
Myself and my son made the same choice from the specials blackboard.
Brae wedges wrapped in Parma Ham and deep fried in batter accompanied with a small salad garnish and dressing was our choice of starters. The Brae was a generous wedge cut from the wheel and far superior to the usual bought in frozen variety.
For our main course we selected fish, being good Friday. Rolled Lemon Sole stuffed with a Smoked salmon Mouse and Poached, served with a Prawn and Crawfish Sauce and a selection of vegetables. I chose new potatoes and my son chose chips.
The fish was cooked perfectly- the sauce tasty, the vegetables nice and crunchy, the whole meal delicious.
The only criticism for me was the presentation of the food on the plate- more care could have been taken especially at £11.95 per plate. A little TLC would not of gone a miss.
Our waitress was pleasant and polite and saw to all our needs.
The bill including one glass of wine, three soft drinks and a coffee came to £50.20 plus tip.
I have visited The Lower Buck on several occasions and although rather pricey, It rarely disappoints.
As we were leaving this unique pub was filling up nicely with early evening diners.
If ever visiting the Ribble Valley the village of Waddington and The Lower Buck Inn are well worth a visit.
Ben W.

Reviewed 13 April 2014

I have been going to the Lower Buck for over 30 years. Initially as my favourite pub when I lived in the area and now as an essential pilgrimage every time I bring my partner to the Ribble Valley.
For me there is no better pub in the country. The beer is excellent (always a good start) the food is wholesome, well cooked and very tasty. The steak and kidney pudding (pictured next to my name) is the screen saver on my iphone so that probably says it all.
It has no frills, no airs and graces and does not try to be too twee or countrified. What it does have is a fantastic atmosphere, a warm welcome, open fires, and in Andrew,a superb landlord.
There are some brilliant pubs in this country - some have outstanding food, some great decor, some a range of beautiful beers, some charming quirks or gimmicks but for us there isn't one that beats the Lower Buck.

2  Thank birdy49
Reviewed 8 April 2014

Previous reviews encouraged us to try this pub for lunch. The pub was none too warm despite fires burning in two of the rooms. Tables are basic scrubbed pine & cutlery is provided wrapped in a napkin. Dining facilities are spread across three rooms.
The menu provides a reasonably good choice of mains, but not many starters, although there was a specials board with some additional options available.
On the positive side, the food was very good. Piping hot, substantial portions & fairly well presented, however I think the prices were on the high side for pub grub.
I guess the Lower Buck is somewhere that appeals to some for its rustic style, but overall, for us we won't be returning.

1  Thank kiwiuk
Reviewed 31 March 2014

I visited the Lower Buck on a sunny Saturday lunchtime with my husband and parents.
The service, food and real ale were all appreciated and of their usual high standard.
The food is good quality proper pub food but specials are available if something more exotic is required.
This is not a place to visit if you're not hungry as the portions are ample and too tasty to leave.
Between us we tried the fish pie, the chicken, ham and leek pie and the gammon which came with all the trimmings including fresh pineapple and an egg.
We will certainly be returning here but might have a long walk in the lovely surrounding countryside before lunch :)