“Excellent every time!”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 18 May 2014 via mobile

Me and my boyfriend eat at the black horse regularly and we love it. We have never had a bad meal! The portions do seem to have been cut down recently but this is a positive as before you did get too much and we could never fit in one of their ever changing but delicious deserts. We also attend here with family and usually there are 10 of us and the staff are excellent!

I would recommend the food here to anybody, especially the sizzler dishes!

Well done to all the staff for the excellent service we always receive!

janet w, Owner at Black Horse, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2014

Thank you very much ,Hope to see you soon many thanks janet

Reviewed 18 May 2014

Ok i will start from us entering the place. As soon as we sat down we noticed the chairs are too high for the table, ok minor point and we laughed about it. Next came the dirty wine glasses and the already opened bottle of wine that could have contained anything. It was only after ordering that we noticed just how dirty the whole place was from the lamp in the window being stuck to the cill to my wifes arm being stuck to same cill, It was around this time i noticed that my fork had bits of dried food stuck between the tines. The next thing was the soup i had ordered arriving in a lovely chipped bowl, The soup was supposed to be home made Leek,onion & potato, Well all i can say is if i had made powdered onion soup and put a couple of small bits of leek and half a spud in i would have got the same watery effect. Next came the staff having some sort of heated debate about who should bring out the food from the kitchen. Then followed my meat pie and chips with veg. To be fair the pie was full of meat but the crust was rather hard but i can live with that. the chips i could not live with as they had been cooked once and then been cooked again resulting in them being rather black and soggy with all the fat that they had taken in with cooking twice, Maybe the Veg will be nice, Hold on minor problem nothing to serve them with. OK we had a laugh serving ourselves peas with a fork (a clean 1 cos i swapped it off another table) Would we go back lol wild horses could not drag us back

1  Thank Diddimus
janet w, Owner at Black Horse, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2014

please see my comments, as above , on your partner,s review .Do not feel the need to write
it TWICE, Janet owner blackhorse in

Reviewed 16 May 2014

Has this place changed hands recently? The experience we had last night bore no relation at all to the recent reviews. We were shown to a table near the front window which was so dirty you could barely see through it but we put that down to it being close to the road. However upon inspection the whole place is dirty - I put my arm on the window ledge and stuck to it! The 'crystals' on the table lamp by us were sticky and in fact the whole place had a thick layer of sticky dust. We asked for a wine list - I had to go to the bar as we weren't asked if we required a drink when we were seated and was told that the wine was on the board. The selection was limited and much more expensive than the wines that are advertised on the web site, I don't thnk there was a house wine and the cheapest was in the region of £14.50 - a lot more thab the £9.95 bottles on the web site!
So, we ordered a bottle of wine which was brought to us already opened! I can't believe this, it could have been anything!
The food selections are on various boards which aren't that apparent but we weren't told about the main one just round the corner, we had to find it ourselves. Another couple came in shortly after we had found it and we had to tell them about it as once again the waitress didn't tell them. A minute later we heard her telling them that it was amazing how many people didn't see all the boards! It isn't amazing as they don't get told!
I will point out that there were 6 people in the restaurant now - hardly busy but the service was terrible.
My starter of 'home made' pate was below average, can't say much more about that! The salad was quite nice but we saw one of the waitresses trotting through with bags of preprepared salad so there you go!
I ordered the sea bass and nearly burst into tears with my first mouthful. How could this gorgeous fish be rendered nearly inedible? It seemed to have been cooked previously and reheated - that is the only feasible explanation I can think of for the thick, rubbery very dark texture of the fish. I ate the fish for 2 reasons - 1) I was very hungry and 2) I felt sorry for the poor fish - it had been abused and didn't deserve to be tossed into the bin. My cauliflower had a very musty smell to it, the carrots were good though! didn't touch the brocolli as it looked awful and the frozen peas were a travesty.
Most of the crockery was chipped - this also adds to the 'we don't give a damn' attitude which was prevalent during our visit here.
We didn't order a dessert - we were loosing the will to live and just wanted to get out.
Some people may ask why we didn't say something at the time. My answer to that would be 'why?' They chose to keep a dirty eatery, they chose to serve appalling food with bad service - what could they have done differently for us after we'd complained? We just paid up and left and needless to say, we won't be going back!

1  Thank Melanie E
Reviewed 6 May 2014

Whenever we go here the food is excellent. Not been for quite a long time and nicely surprised to see that it has been done up a little and more restaurant tables have been added and the eating area extended into what used to be mainly the 'drinkers' area. There is a small cosy area for just having a drink if not eating. The tables were very nicely set and the choice of dishes was very extensive as usual, with an excellent menu along with a very long and extensive specials board with veggie boards, fish boards, starter boards, dessert board and a kids board etc. etc. All meals are freshly cooked to order and as it was a Bank Holiday and very, very busy and there were 8 of us all wanting different dishes we did have quite a long wait before our food came but it was very, very well worth the wait as the food was absolutely delicious as always. We all thoroughly enjoyed everything. The young lady waitresses were under pressure as the place was full but coped reasonably well, apart from us having to ask four times for the bill after we had finished eating and were ready to leave. Four of our party hadn't been before and they were very impressed and we will all definitely be going again.

1  Thank Maureen B
Reviewed 19 April 2014

The Black Horse is a wonderful place to eat. The owners Carl & Janet and all the staff are so friendly and welcoming. The food is excellent . Always fresh fish on the menu, a nice selection of vegetables and proper chips NOT frozen, Has somebody who eats out at least twice per week in the Ribble Valley I can recommend the Black Horse at Pimlico Clitheroe with confidence. Clive Knight

1  Thank Clive K