“Another good meal, in a friendly atmosphere”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Black Horse

Black Horse
Ranked #54 of 136 Restaurants in Clitheroe
Price range: US$13 - US$22
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Groups, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Blackburn, United Kingdom
“Another good meal, in a friendly atmosphere”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

We visited the Black Horse for the second time with two friends tonight. The choice of food is large, with three different special boards, and the food is lovely, quality, home cooked from scratch (no microwave warm ups here!) and worth the wait and every penny. The owners are really accommodating and very friendly, and Butch the dog is ace! We spent time chatting with them after our meal as it was getting ready to close. Nothing is too much trouble, they make you feel appreciated and very welcome - we certainly will be returning again!

Visited June 2014
1 Thank flowerpower l
janet w, Owner at Black Horse, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
Thank you very much for your comments,We look forward to your return ,and a good chat
again. It made our night to have a drink and a natter in good company.Hope to see you all
again soon. many thanks janet ,carl and butch the dog lol,

Lancashire, United Kingdom
“FAB”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014

Always have a brilliant time here, delicious food, friendly staff, Janet and Carl are fab hosts very time. 13 of us dined here last Saturday and I thought we would be squashed in the top corner , how wrong was I, didn't relies they had turned the old pool room/snug area into another dining side! So we had loads of room, it looks lovely in there now. 10/10 every time

Visited May 2014
janet w, Owner at Black Horse, responded to this review, 30 May 2014
Thank you very much for your comments,glad you like the room still lots to do but we will get there
hope to see you again soon and once again thank you. janet
Preston, United Kingdom
“Great meal”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

Came here on Sunday after a family friend had said numerous times about how good the meals are.
We came in a group of 7, and it's lucky we booked as it was packed. We we're then took to our table on the balcony, we we're told promptly about the numerous specials boards around the bar area.
The whole restaurant was decorated beautifully, even the toilets we're as clean as a whistle !
When it came to the food, all the dishes we're presented beautifully, tasted lovely and most important of all we're massive portions, definitely value for money.
We will most certainly be coming back for another meal, the service was second to none and the meal was to die for !

janet w, Owner at Black Horse, responded to this review, 30 May 2014
many thanks for taking the time to write a review ,we do read them all.glad you thought the food was good i do try .hope to see you soon janet
“Great food but lacked an atmosphere”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2014 via mobile

We visited here with my boyfriend and 3 year old girl. The weather was lovely so we sat outside. The menu was a little odd, they had a very basic menu then specials boards everywhere and worse of all in the door way to the outside! The two young girls serving behind the bar we ok but lacked personally and character all our food was fabulous apart from the onion rings that weren't really onion rings and more like batter with a slice of onion. Overall I would return and the new decor looks good, I would invest in some training and possibly a front of house manager to give a better experience

Bolton, England, United Kingdom
“Terrible food - dirty restaurant”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2014

Has this place changed hands recently? The experience we had last week bore no relation at all to the recent reviews. We were shown to a table near the front window which was so dirty you could barely see through it but we put that down to it being close to the road. However upon inspection the whole place is dirty - I put my arm on the window ledge and stuck to it! The 'crystals' on the table lamp by us were sticky and in fact the whole place had a thick layer of sticky dust. We asked for a wine list - I had to go to the bar as we weren't asked if we required a drink when we were seated and was told that the wine was on the board. The selection was limited and much more expensive than the wines that are advertised on the web site, I don't thnk there was a house wine and the cheapest was in the region of £14.50 - a lot more thab the £9.95 bottles on the web site!
So, we ordered a bottle of wine which was brought to us already opened! I can't believe this, it could have been anything!
The food selections are on various boards which aren't that apparent but we weren't told about the main one just round the corner, we had to find it ourselves. Another couple came in shortly after we had found it and we had to tell them about it as once again the waitress didn't tell them. A minute later we heard her telling them that it was amazing how many people didn't see all the boards! It isn't amazing as they don't get told!
I will point out that there were 6 people in the restaurant now - hardly busy but the service was terrible.
My starter of 'home made' pate was below average, can't say much more about that! The salad was quite nice but we saw one of the waitresses trotting through with bags of preprepared salad so there you go!
I ordered the sea bass and nearly burst into tears with my first mouthful. How could this gorgeous fish be rendered nearly inedible? It seemed to have been cooked previously and reheated - that is the only feasible explanation I can think of for the thick, rubbery very dark texture of the fish. I ate the fish for 2 reasons - 1) I was very hungry and 2) I felt sorry for the poor fish - it had been abused and didn't deserve to be tossed into the bin. My cauliflower had a very musty smell to it, the carrots were good though! didn't touch the brocolli as it looked awful and the frozen peas were a travesty.
Most of the crockery was chipped - this also adds to the 'we don't give a damn' attitude which was prevalent during our visit here.
We didn't order a dessert - we were loosing the will to live and just wanted to get out.
Some people may ask why we didn't say something at the time. My answer to that would be 'why?' They chose to keep a dirty eatery, they chose to serve appalling food with bad service - what could they have done differently for us after we'd complained? We just paid up and left and needless to say, we won't be going back!

• Visited May 2014
3 Thank Melanie E
janet w, Owner at Black Horse, responded to this review, 28 May 2014
Thank-you for taking the time to write to us giving us your "expert" feedback on your visit. It must have taken you some time, with your partner, to write all that. I am confused; firstly you husband wrote to us, and then you wrote to us, as well, much of the same thing. so i have picked out points that you have both mentioned, to keep things simple. Also you wrote on someone Else's site about your bad meal at the Black Horse- not very nice !
Firstly, no we have not changed hands, we have been here 7 years. Secondly the windows are cleaned in and out every two weeks, by our window cleaner. your whole premises inspection, well i am speechless, dirty we are not. I find this remark rude, slander-less and very offensive. You can call us a lot of things but dirty is not one of them !
We have been doing refurbishments now since last year; new carpets;decor;chairs;table clothes;bar area and coffee area (including a new coffee machine) and kitchen equipment. We are NOT company owned, we are a free house and work hard to save up and put the money back into the business to help improve it.
As for the window, it had been varnished the week before and for some reason had not dried properly, I then made the mistake of trying to clean it and made it worse, it was a little sticky, I give you that. since then it has been buffed and re-varnished and finished.
The crystal lamp does get dirty sometimes, with the sizzlers etc, but, are cleaned on a regular bases.
We do not have a wine list as it is still waiting to be printed with holidays etc, however, it is not a problem as for the time being they are written on a board above the bar for our customers to see. You said it was limited, but we carry: 8 red;6 white;3 champagnes;2 sparkling;4 house wines;2 red and 2 whites. Also i would like to point out we do not advertise ourselfs as a wine bar. When ordering a bottle of wine we do open it for you and put it in an ice bucket and bring it over to you. i don't know where you normally drink, but we do not add anything into our bottles. My apologies for staff that did not show you where the boards are situated.
The old website is to be shut down, as we are doing a new one, i thought it was - my apologies for not checking that.
Finally i would like to say, sorry to hear you wont be back. you will miss the carrots thought, lol.

Janet (chef and co owner of the black horse)