“Wonderful”
Review of The Parkers Arms

The Parkers Arms
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Clitheroe
The Parkers Arms
Ranked #20 of 21 Clitheroe B&B and Inns
Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

Wonderful food, Wonderful beer and a Wonderful host and truely Wonderful countryside which could really do with being moved back to Yorkshire! Thanks A.J.and your team. We will definitely be coming back. Simon, Karen, Darren & Gayle.

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank simonbev1975

Reviewed 11 June 2014

We arrived to the Parkers Arms on a Friday night at midnight and were warmly welcomed by a fun and caring host who had waited up for us as we had travelled from London after work.

We were quickly shown to our room, the only room taken at the venue, which was not as we imagined as when we had booked we were told that only one good room was left, however we slept well in a very comfortable bed and woke for a really hearty breakfast which by no means disappointed either of us - great food and good banter.

The setting is very picturesque and was local to where friends of ours were celebrating their wedding which was about 5 miles away, with a taxi link that was reliable and cost about £15.

I would like to mention that the man about the house Ajay was a really warm and engaging man who seemed to care about the guests both in the pub and also us staying. He chatted and hosted at all times.

The staff seemed generally friendly, however there seemed to be an incident with a member of the team who was being 'put into line' by a female manager out the back, unfortunately this was not out of ear shot and whilst I agree with keeping standards up I feel uncomfortable about shouting and aggression being used to create a solution to the matter, there are more private ways and these should definitely be out of sight and mind of the punters.

We would recommend the pub for a cosy welcome with great food choices, beer & wine. They had recently won an award, something to be proud of and Ajay is a great host too.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Colin W
Reviewed 11 June 2014

We ate here on a rainy Saturday lunch time. The food was excellent. I had a pea and ham soup for a starter which was beautifully fresh and light. My husband had black pudding sausage roll which was full of flavour with a really light batter. For the main I had a chicken and garlic pie- beautiful! My husband had haddock gout ones which were perfectly cooked.

It was a little quiet but then the weather was awful that day. Service was a little on the slow side but with food made fresh to order what can you expect. I agree with other reviews that the decor needs brightening up slightly but the place has a lovely cosy feel. I really liked it. The landlord was very sociable and a lovely bloke.

We shall definitely be returning.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Kateylikesfood
Reviewed 16 May 2014

Booked a table for 10 a month in advance as part of my mother in law's 70 birthday celebration. Travelled 140 miles to discover on arrival a closed Parkers Arms with the lights off and nothing but a chalk board in front of the door saying "Closed for kitchen maintenance."
I accept things go wrong sometimes but a phone call would have been appreciated before we arrived. I can't comment on the food for obvious reasons but needless to say we won't be travelling back

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
14  Thank Dave S
Reviewed 30 March 2014

The landlord is very friendly and explained the menu to us. The pub is very cosy with an open fire, perfect for cold winter days. The food was incredible and very reasonably priced. There is a large outdoor area so we will be returning in summer!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank RachelHollingsworth
Reviewed 31 January 2014

Turning up to attend a geocaching event, arranged for 6.30pm, it was to find the place in semi-darkness...certainly no welcoming lights. But then it was only 6pm. Even so, as we had done at many other pubs we turned up early, hoping to make a head start on an evening meal, as we tend to eat early.

We succeeded in getting in, and ordered some drinks, with one man working the bar while a young lady steadfastly ignored me as she stacked shelves with glasses. When I finally got round to ordering food, it was to find that the kitchen didn't start until 6.30pm.

The menu was inventive enough, with a fair selection of dishes - I had the Lancashire Cheese Tart, which was very tasty. But others had steak, two of whom had quite a struggle with, and, in fact, one left half of it as inedible, and the onion rings were under-cooked. But whether this is the norm, I don't know.

It all came across as a remote, rural pub trying to keep costs down - the dining room was quite chilly, even with a fire on the go - a number of dish components were not available that evening, which tends to support this idea.

Would I go again? Well, probably not. It wasn't unpleasant, just not as pleasant as it might have been, which is a shame because I've passed this way many times and wanted to stop. It's certainly popular in summer, but winter is evidently a bit of a struggle.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Terry_Marsh
Reviewed 8 December 2013 via mobile

I read a review in 'Delicious' magazine about how good this place was. After meeting friends in Clithero I had booked for us to go. What a treat! It was a cold wet December day and the pub was very welcoming. The landlord was a charming fellow who knew his stuff about food. The roaring fire added to the experience and the mulled wine and spiced cider. I had the game broth and suckling pig. Bother were very tasty. My only comment was it took an hour for our starters to arrive although as we were with friend it was ok as we had a good catch up. I will be back!

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends