“Excellent food but lacking atmosphere”
Review of The Black Bull - CLOSED

The Black Bull
Price range: US$7 - US$20
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 21 October 2013

We decided to pay this pub a visit on a Saturday evening with the Travelzoo offer so expected it to be very busy, but when we arrived it was quiet with only 4 other couples booked in for meals.
The food was so good, we were full after the starter and main course but despite the tasty food,and friendly waitresses, the pub was lacking atmosphere.
The landlady ( I presumed it was here) was not at all friendly.

As a retired Ribble Valley retailer of 25 years standing, I suggest she lightens up and welcomes her customers with open arms rather than just look as though she really did not want to be there!!

2  Thank DavidLancashireUk

Reviewed 3 October 2013

We had lunch here today.Starters were ok mushrooms a bit overpowered by the garlic goats cheese was lovely.Mains lamb great but the gammon very salty and tough pudding both great.Bit expensive for the drinks.only 3 sets of diners no atmosphere would not like to have paid full price but ok with the travelzoo voucher.

1  Thank wendy h
Reviewed 27 September 2013

Like most of the recent reviewers, we had a GroupOn voucher. The restaurant was easy to find and is situated in a beautiful part of the Lancashire countryside.

When we arrived, there were hardly any other diners, which made the atmosphere very flat. We decided to sit in the bar area and the decor also looked a little bit tired.

Right, onto the food...

To start with, I had the portobello mushroom, which I enjoyed. A large portion and lots of lovely cheese and salad. For mains, I had the lamb shank, with mash. This was delightfully cooked with very little fat. Again, the portion size was generous. To finish, I opted for the cheesecake but could hardly finish it, as I was so full,

Throughout, the service from our young waitress was polite and unrushed. Give this place a try - I would probably go back more, if it wasn't so far from my home.

1  Thank toddy0011
Reviewed 23 September 2013

Food was excellent and resataurant service spot on. Visit marred by poor atmosphere when entering the bar. Not made welcome but this soon changed in restaurant.

1  Thank Richard B
Reviewed 22 September 2013

Having read the reviews on here, we were a bit worried about the meal but figured for £29 for three courses (Travelzoo deal) we couldn't expect too much. The trip there seemed very long and going along a dark country lane for ever with no lights anywhere, but we were very relieved to get there - thank goodness for Sat Nav! It is dated and needs a lick of paint, inside and out but it was warm, quite busy and fine. The meal was GORGEOUS! We had the flat mushroom and the mussels fir starters, no complaints. Immediately our plates were cleared, the main courses arrived - whoa! A bit too quickly, but you can't really complain about that, can you? We thought, God, we are going to be out of here in three quarters of an hour! Anyway, the meals (lamb and sea bass) were hot and tasty, and I couldn't eat all that lamb. The sweets were equally as good. The waitresses were keen, looking to clear your plates before you've finished, but very pleasant. The lady at the end of the bar was quiet, not speaking unless spoken to, not your welcoming host you expect and I am surprised she can't sit behind the bar or keep busy a bit more. We were out in about 50 minutes which was a surprise and we could have lingered over coffee but chose to get going on our hour's trip home. The drinks were quite expensive but I suppose they have to make their money somehow. Enjoyable but not encouraging us to go again.

1  Thank Marilyn D