“Revisiting for the third time....”
Review of Freemasons Arms

Freemasons Arms
Reserve with OpenTable
Freemasons Arms is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #12 of 148 Restaurants in Clitheroe
Price range: US$20 - US$30
Cuisines: Contemporary
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 30 May 2014

We remembered from the other occasions that the bar area was cosy, and fills up quickly, so we decided to go straight to our table up stairs ( this we booked in advance) This is decorated in a 'gentleman club style' a few pictures, hunting trophies, but not over the top as to offend.
We were only a small party of family, the table we were allocated was to right at the top of the stairs, the chairs are comfortable but I advise not to sit on the settle opposite unless you are tall. my Sister and I are only short and had to sit on cushions on the edge of the seat.( this IS important so as to enjoy the fabulous food which is about to be served)
The Staff are professional and enthusiastic
The menu has just the right amount of choices soup was chosen and this was accompanied by 'hot dog fish finger' a inspired combination. Main course a delicate treatment of Pork ( with lovely new potatoes and green veg. Wonderful selection of cheeses to follow and a new take on cheese cake with creative flavours of ice cream (pine) Also the wine list will suit most palates and wallets. Another lovely meal at the Freemasons

1  Thank maria b

Reviewed 25 May 2014

First experience of the Freemasons. We ate of the al a carte menu. The food was of great quality but in my opinion the mains were overpriced. For what we paid my husband expected his steak to be out of this world but it was just very good with not very exciting accompaniments ( onion rings, half of an uncooked tomato). My pork selection was a bit more special but I did have to get expensive side orders to make it a decent meal. It has always been a bugbear of mine when restaurants don't serve a complete main course or at least don't make the accompaniments more reasonably priced. Desserts were lovely but a bit on the small side. Wasn't sure about the hard rhubarb but maybe it is supposed to be like that (and I am a philistine). I did leave a little hungry. I get that it is high end cooking but I have eaten in Michelin star restaurants that left less of dent in my wallet. The wine was lovely and surprisingly reasonably priced in comparison and service very good. I did like the ahtmosphere of the place and would consider going again but there are plenty of good restaurants in the ribble valley that don't leave me smarting quite so much from the bill so it probably won't be for a while.

2  Thank sammyjane21
Reviewed 25 May 2014

We had a meal here on Thursday 22nd May and thought the food was easily worthy of at least one Michelin star, edging up to Two. We are foodies who travel extensively for good meals and this was excellent in every way, including the wines and service. The team are lead by Aga, the fiancée of Steven and they more than did justice to the superb food we were served. We shall await the Guides to see the rapid escalation in the ratings. They are already number 42 in the Good Food Guide and this is definitely justified. Come on Michelin - recognize true talent. Visit if you're in the area - you won't be disappointed. Peter and Sue Chesterman

1  Thank LaSurprise
Reviewed 6 May 2014

Visiting from London for the weekend and being real foodie fans, we were so happy to have come across the Freemasons on a random Google search of where to eat that day.

The food, presentation, wine list and menu selection were all impressive. We loved the surprise of' Inedit' the El Bulli beer! What a find and a real treat! Definitely try this amazing beer if you visit! We enjoyed the whole meal and even the coffee was one of the best I've had in a long time!

The pub is quaint and styled well with cosy nooks and crannies. A minor point for the owner.... I would agree with some other reviews that the service could be a little friendlier and also a little more informative when serving the food. Everyone likes to know a little more about what they are paying for. This could easily be fixed with some in house training and there's no reason why this restaurant and chef shouldn't be on it's way to getting a Michelin Star! I would definitely return!

1  Thank Where_Magic_Happens
Kat B, Public Relations Manager at Freemasons Arms, responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2014

Thanks for your review, delighted you enjoyed your time at The Freemasons. We'll take all your feedback on board. Hope to see you again next time you're up from London!

Reviewed 2 May 2014

Great setting, lovely place and wonderful food.

I visited there a few years ago on a visit to Burnley. So we met a group of friends for dinner. All of our meals were superb. Our only comment was that the bill was a bit on the expensive side but with top points for food quality, presentation, service and location we did not mind