All reviews sunday lunch old house grounds are beautiful lovely hotel rooms are comfortable hidden gem main building wedding venue fabulous food whole experience pudding per head three courses master of ceremonies first rate evening meal pleasant stay
Reviewed 1 January 2014

We ( 4 couples of a certain age!) have just spent NYE at Astley Bank. We checked in early, had a cup of tea and biscuits in our room, read a bit, had a snooze and then got ready for dinner. We had drinks in the lounge, then canapés, then dinner. The lighting and ambience were excellent - not too crowded, plenty of room to get to your table. They seated people by table and dinner was served at an excellent pace - not too slow but no one was standing over you waiting for you to finish. Unlike other places I have been on NYE you were served your meal as if there was only your table in the restaurant - no waiting till everyone in the room had finished then a signal and all the waiters descend and clear the whole room. The food itself was excellent - a well thought out menu with perfect size portions and all courses complemented each other. I think my highlight was the chicken soup with chicken thigh "lollipop" (this was the 3rd course incidentally) but the Morecambe bay prawns with guacamole were equally as good .............. BUT the deconstructed baked Alaska was also excellent???
Suffice it to say that we left this morning after an equally impressive breakfast but before we left we reserved our rooms for NYE 2014! Don't snooze - this hidden gem can't stay hidden for much longer!. 5 star plus.

Room Tip: room 39 is right at the top of the house and has a triple outlook!
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 December 2013

Bolton locals took me here for a meal during my visit. Well what can I say that hasn't been said already! I was considering the beef blade, but i'm very fussy about my meat (the slightest bit of pink and it gets sent back) I spoke to the waiter who said i wouldn't have any problem with it at all and I took him at his word and he didn't dissapoint, it was PERFECT. All of the courses, the service, the place everything was PERFECT. To me all is spot on, please, please don't change a thing, all is allready right.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank silcof
Reviewed 29 December 2013

We stayed here just before Christmas and received a wonderful welcome and were given a beautiful room with a four poster bed, very comfortable, We had dinner served by a very attentive and friendly staff and the food was excellent and a bit different to most hotel menus,.
Breakfast was also excellent and we will most certainly return

Room Tip: all room are good
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank William G
Reviewed 15 December 2013

Booked this hotel for a family reunion in December. We had a private dining room which was great, away from the main Christmas party in the hotel but still benefiting from a lovely Christmas atmosphere. The private dining room was so nice, just the right size to be cosy, yet still roomy, with a fireplace and big bay window to give it a real elegant homely feel. The food was nice too!
The rooms were comfortable, clean and nicely decorated. We enjoyed it so much, we booked again for next year!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 November 2013

Went to celebrate a friends birthday . The food was delicious , good wine and very pleasant service. The menu was a mix of traditional roast with a selection of unusual alternatives and with generous portions we didn't leave wanting. At just over £20.00 per head it certainly outshone many .restaurants visited in our area. It was Rememberance Sunday and the menu was decorated with Poppies - a lovely touch. The hotel is a period house in its own grounds with a lovely restaurant overlooking the garden just off the A666 . Not having stayed at the hotel this review is solely for the restaurant which I would thoroughly recommend.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends