All reviews sunday lunch old house grounds are beautiful lovely hotel rooms are comfortable hidden gem main building wedding venue fabulous food whole experience pudding per head three courses master of ceremonies first rate evening meal pleasant stay
Reviewed 11 January 2014

Recently visited for the first time with family. The menu is not extensive but covers all areas. Excellent food and ambience. Special thank you to Paul who really is an asset as he is so funny and very attentive. Only one thing we did not appreciate is the lady on reception when entering. She was on the telephone but made no eye contact and we were left standing there for some considerable time. When we were leaving she did not say good night until prompted. Shame really. We did enjoy our night though and we shall be returning.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 January 2014

New Year's Eve found us back at Astley Bank and if there is one word that best describes this hotel, it is Quality. And Value - so make that two words ! Nothing is too much trouble for either the management or their courteous staff. The building oozes character and is thankfully a far cry from the artificial glitz & pace found in corporate chain hotels. Its reputation for serving good food is entirely justified even when catering for large numbers. gill m's excellent NYE review said it all about both the food and the NYE celebration - we wholeheartedly agree ! I would add that we've stayed there in quieter periods and found the food and service excellent no matter what the meal. The accommodation is very comfortable and scrupulously clean. It is, of course, the owners and staff that make this all possible with their attention to detail, consideration for their guests, (you are never just a customer at Astley Bank) and cheerful assistance. We are looking forward to our next stay. A very big thank-you to all at Astley Bank Hotel for a great start to 2014.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 January 2014

We ( 4 couples of a certain age!) have just spent NYE at Astley Bank. We checked in early, had a cup of tea and biscuits in our room, read a bit, had a snooze and then got ready for dinner. We had drinks in the lounge, then canapés, then dinner. The lighting and ambience were excellent - not too crowded, plenty of room to get to your table. They seated people by table and dinner was served at an excellent pace - not too slow but no one was standing over you waiting for you to finish. Unlike other places I have been on NYE you were served your meal as if there was only your table in the restaurant - no waiting till everyone in the room had finished then a signal and all the waiters descend and clear the whole room. The food itself was excellent - a well thought out menu with perfect size portions and all courses complemented each other. I think my highlight was the chicken soup with chicken thigh "lollipop" (this was the 3rd course incidentally) but the Morecambe bay prawns with guacamole were equally as good .............. BUT the deconstructed baked Alaska was also excellent???
Suffice it to say that we left this morning after an equally impressive breakfast but before we left we reserved our rooms for NYE 2014! Don't snooze - this hidden gem can't stay hidden for much longer!. 5 star plus.

Room Tip: room 39 is right at the top of the house and has a triple outlook!
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 December 2013

Bolton locals took me here for a meal during my visit. Well what can I say that hasn't been said already! I was considering the beef blade, but i'm very fussy about my meat (the slightest bit of pink and it gets sent back) I spoke to the waiter who said i wouldn't have any problem with it at all and I took him at his word and he didn't dissapoint, it was PERFECT. All of the courses, the service, the place everything was PERFECT. To me all is spot on, please, please don't change a thing, all is allready right.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank silcof
Reviewed 29 December 2013

We stayed here just before Christmas and received a wonderful welcome and were given a beautiful room with a four poster bed, very comfortable, We had dinner served by a very attentive and friendly staff and the food was excellent and a bit different to most hotel menus,.
Breakfast was also excellent and we will most certainly return

Room Tip: all room are good
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business