All reviews sunday lunch old house grounds are beautiful lovely hotel rooms are comfortable hidden gem main building wedding venue fabulous food whole experience pudding per head three courses master of ceremonies first rate evening meal pleasant stay
Reviewed 16 February 2014

Went last night with friends, it was the Valentine set menu, not our reason for going but we were aware when we booked, there were still half a dozen choice for each course, staff were excellent..... food terrific... we will go again !

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank boltonfil
Reviewed 2 February 2014 via mobile

Just enjoyed another lovely Sunday lunch with my fiancé & parents. Wonderful hot tasty food, great service, lovely staff, lovely setting.

The Sunday lunch menu is great value, canapés, starter, main meal, dessert, coffee & chocolates, all home made for £22.00 per person.

We love Astley Bank so much we have booked for our wedding next year.

• Stayed: February 2014
Reviewed 19 January 2014

We booked a night at Astley Bank as part of a package of visiting friends and relatives and a late celebration of my husband's birthday the day before. We'd arranged for friends to join us for pre-dinner drinks at 6.30pm and planned to have a meal later in the hotel - we'd read such good reviews about the food. However, when we arrived at the hotel we were told we'd have to eat at seven, which was changed to 7.30 when I registered my disappointment. Later we noticed in our room that the final time for serving should have been 8.30, though it says 8pm on the net. We opted to eat out and we can thoroughly recommend Mangiamo's, an Italian restaurant 10 minutes drive from the hotel - though this was hardly ideal on a rainy Sunday night.

Our room - an executive bedroom - was beautiful and the bed was extremely comfortable. However, I didn't feel the towels and toiletries came up to scratch for an executive bedroom. I'm aware we could have asked for better or more, but when you pay for an upgrade you shouldn't need to ask. A word of warning - if you're on the top floor, you will need to run the shower or bath for more than five minutes if you want hot water - but the views from the bedroom made up for this inconvenience.
The staff were very friendly and we enjoyed an excellent breakfast (all the more disappointing that we couldn't sample the evening meal).

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 January 2014

It was my wife's 65th birthday on Saturday 11 January. Her daughter and family live in Lancashire and her son and his wife live in West Yorkshire, so the Astley Bank Hotel was well-situated for a family get-together. We spent two nights at the hotel. The beds were among the most comfortable ones we had slept in at any hotel, the room was kept scrupulously clean, and the hotel staff were both friendly and efficient throughout our stay; I also enjoyed the Jacuzzi bath. Six of us and our 2 year old granddaughter had dinner together on the Saturday evening. Although the restaurant was busy the service was excellent and the food of the highest quality and well-presented. I had arranged for flowers to be given to my wife at dinner, ordered via the hotel, and her dessert had a birthday greeting on the plate written in chocolate. We spent some time at Darwen inside market, which is nicely old-fashioned, where I managed to buy our granddaughter her first bicycle. It was a weekend to remember. I have my 70th birthday in December. I think it is highly likely that we'll spend it at the Astley Bank.

Room Tip: We had a room in the older main part of the hotel, close to the reception and the restaurant, but still quiet as well as convenient.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 January 2014

Recently visited for the first time with family. The menu is not extensive but covers all areas. Excellent food and ambience. Special thank you to Paul who really is an asset as he is so funny and very attentive. Only one thing we did not appreciate is the lady on reception when entering. She was on the telephone but made no eye contact and we were left standing there for some considerable time. When we were leaving she did not say good night until prompted. Shame really. We did enjoy our night though and we shall be returning.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family